VW Vortex - Volkswagen Forum banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
471 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Fluttering Noises From Engine Bay

I Installed a boost guage today on my '02 1.8T. I have not had the car but two months and this is the first mod I have done to it.
The boost gauge installed fine and when I went out and test drove it about 10-12 PSI of boost was registering (car is bone stock) so I must have hooked everything up right, however when I popped the hood with the engine still on I could hear a very loud and pronounced fluttering noise. Since I have never had the hood open with the engine running before I don't know if this is normal or I caused some kind of vacuum leak when I was installing my boost gauge.
Also, very faintly I could hear a sound almost like a train makes, however this was very quiet. The Fluttering was LOUD.
Are these just normal engine noises? My VR6 does not have so many complicated parts so I dunno what to look for.

[Modified by dvankuren, 12:23 AM 8-4-2002]

·
Registered
1,249 Posts
Re: Fluttering Noises From Engine Bay (dvankuren)

what kind of fluttering? and if the train sound is a clickity clack, then that is normal, it is the injectors firing. they are loud!! again describe this fluttering sound, i think i know what you mean and if it is the sound i think it is, then it is normal

[Modified by 01silverGTI, 8:38 AM 8-4-2002]

·
Registered
471 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Re: Fluttering Noises From Engine Bay (01silverGTI)

It is almost like a puff of air happening 10 times a second. I thought it might be the N75 valve or something, but I wasn't sure so I figured I'd ask.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts