VW Vortex - Volkswagen Forum banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
283 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
OK so my clutch went out maybe 2 and half weeks ago so obviously the car has been sittin there while I ordered my new clutch parts. But this past weekend I go out to just start the car and let it run for a few mins and there is smoke coming for the behind the engine just under the intake somewhere. The thing is that it was not smoking at all prior to the clutch problem, so why would it start smoking now when it hasnt even been driven in weeks?

·
Registered
18,222 Posts
Re: Engine question (danas916)

Check the valve cover; when its gasket goes, oil can slowly leak down the back side of the cylinder head.

·
Registered
283 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Re: Engine question (kamzcab86)

Ok I'll do that, I was planning on gettin a new one anyway. Is that normal? to not smoke prior to the car being parked and start smokin later after not bein used?

·
Registered
9,157 Posts
My 96 will send some smoke out the tailpipe and run rough for a minute or so after sitting. I think some oil probably leaks down from the head past the valve stem guides and into the cylinders and gets burned off when you first start it up again.

·
Registered
1,679 Posts
Re: Engine question (danas916)

Quote, originally posted by danas916 »
Is that normal? to not smoke prior to the car being parked and start smokin later after not bein used?

No, but the car is 17 years old

1 - 6 of 6 Posts