VW Vortex - Volkswagen Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
3,401 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
2001 Jetta Wolfsburg (1.8t, 5sp,etc).
I've had the car for just under 3 years now and I've had this problem for almost the entire time and nobody has been able to fix it (its hard to replicate).
Now usually it happens once or twice a year.. but I just drove back from Halifax and it happened at least 6 times in that one trip. What happens is that I'll be getting off the highway (say around 110-120) I'm not 100% but I think this only happens when I put the clutch in and put it in neutral and not if im downshifting.. but the car will shut off. No noise or anything - just shuts off. The only way I know is because I can feel the power steering cut out and when I look down I see that the battery light is on. (I can't imagine its a battery problem as I just replaced the battery in february or so with a new optima red top). Thats what always happens.. car goes off (and i notice the steering going out) and the battery light comes on.. so I just restart it. Its only ever happened like 2 times when im not coming off an off ramp.. its 99% on off ramps.. so maybe there's something about putting it in neutral and coasting at high speeds (but only when braking)?
This is really an annoyance so any help/suggestions are greatly appreciated. The only problem are mods. Now I had this problem start occuring after I got chipped (as I was chipped within 2,500km but its a totally random problem so chances are it just didn't pop up). So it MAY be the chip - but now I have other mods like alarm system and intake etc and of course I know VW's reaction is to blame this on mods (I'm out of warranty but I've reported this problem under warranty so if someone knows what it is i'd like to go talk to them). Anyways I know the only thing it COULD be is the chip (in which case i'd have to talk to upsolute and get a reflash or something) but maybe its just a faulty ECU?
I took it in before and the service guy said to check some relay (can't remember the number) but he took 30 mins looking for it and couldn't find it (because there was some rewiring due to the alarm system) but I took it to the alarm guy and asked him to find that relay number and he couldnt see it (and he would know if he moved it). so I never got it replaced (phantom relay? lol).
Anyways I'd appreciate any input you guys can give me - thanks.

·
Registered
1,042 Posts
Re: Engine randomly shuts off?!?!? (Terragen)

have you inspected the solder joints on the ECU? I had to redo one of the legs on my Up chip cause a joint went cold.

·
Registered
1,535 Posts

Sorry, Not an easy fix! Do a seach and pull all your hair out!

·
Registered
1,341 Posts
Re: Engine randomly shuts off?!?!? (Lorem)

well I can tell you this by experience.... when i was first chipped. by Upsolute..... i won't mention that guys name.... he didn't plug my ECU plugs in ALL THE WAY.. and i would ever so often have the same symptoms as you ..... try pulling the ECU out ... and plugging them back in .. and make sure they are in ALL THE WAY.....
just my 2 cents http://****************.com/smile/emthup.gif
by the way, who chipped your car? if we're thinking the same person.. then i know its the same problem

·
Registered
799 Posts

Sounds like a cold solder issue on the chip/motherboard.
Had the same problem with my GIAC...especially when going over bumps.
Get the ECU and chip checked out by whomever installed it for you...or go to another tuner to check it out.
Good luck http://****************.com/smile/emthup.gif

·
Registered
3,401 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Re: Engine randomly shuts off?!?!? (TJet1.8)

Alright thanks for the info

I'll try to disconnect/reconnect it and see if that helps - the only unfortunate thing is that its really difficult to reproduce and I really won't know if ive solved it lol
I pm'ed you the guy's name since he seems like a good guy and I don't want it to seem like im attacking him on here so I won't post his name.
Anyways I might have really old software anyways - does upsolute do free updates to the newest software?

·
Registered
1,341 Posts

Quote, originally posted by Terragen »
Alright thanks for the info

I'll try to disconnect/reconnect it and see if that helps - the only unfortunate thing is that its really difficult to reproduce and I really won't know if ive solved it lol
I pm'ed you the guy's name since he seems like a good guy and I don't want it to seem like im attacking him on here so I won't post his name.
Anyways I might have really old software anyways - does upsolute do free updates to the newest software?

free updates indeed..... just a minor solder fee.. http://****************.com/smile/emthup.gif

1 - 7 of 7 Posts