VW Vortex - Volkswagen Forum banner
1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
can someone please help,on my B3 16v.When I accellarate the engine misses,sputters and have no power then all at once it would pick up and take off like a jackrabbit.It acts like the fuel is not getting to the injectors,does not happen all the time,this problem is driving me up a wall.Sparkplugs,wires cap&rotor all new.Before I got the car previous owner ran racing gas(cam2)through the fuel system already change O2 sensor. :

·
Registered
7,636 Posts
Re: engine sputters (hotteduppassat)

There's plenty of things that it could be, but since it'll suddenly take off with power, I'm thinking that the fuel distributor plunger is getting sticky. If it doesn't smoothly follow the air sensor plate up and down, the car runs like crap at all points except when it happens to line up properly. You can try some Techron or other good injector cleaner in your gas, but you'll probably need to clean the plunger. It gets an amber varnish buildup on it that you can clean off with carb cleaner. You have to loosen the fuel lines on top of the fuel distributor and carefully remove the three screws that hold it down. Lift up the FD and look under and see a small plunger in the middle. It should slide out but if it's stuck it will need force to pull it out. I grab it with pliers and pull as long as I don't touch the part that slides in. Clean it and stick it back in, do not attempt to clean up inside the hole.

Modified by A2B4guy at 10:51 PM 7-3-2003

1 - 2 of 2 Posts