VW Vortex - Volkswagen Forum banner
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
1,011 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
As the title states, I'd like to know if I can swap a '08 v6 engine, into a 09 2.0t Quattro chassis?

If I have an engine and mechatronic from a 2008 3.2, can it be swapped into a 2009 2.0T? I've had my 2009 A3 2.0T sitting in my garage with a busted engine. Is there anything that would need to be done for mating? Super hard to find an '09 3.2q, I figure this is the next best thing.

Man, it's been almost a decade, and I still love this damn model... thanks in advance and happy holidays.

·
Registered
2013 Audi A3 2.0Tq 2013 Audi TT-S
1,583 Posts
I'm sure it can be done with not too much trouble but note you may have to relocate some components under the hood. For example the battery does not live up front with the VR6--it's in the trunk in those cars. There may be other components to relocate. The mounts, I doubt those are the same, could be wrong. I'd imagine the bevel box/PTO lines up just the same but not sure if the transmission itself (if you're planning on keeping yours) is identical mating but pretty sure it will have to be reprogrammed as DSGs are finicky that way--they don't work right if paired with another car/ECU, until they are reflashed. This requires a specialty shop to do, and you may have to mail out your MU somewhere for this.

Also you're definitely going to need an ECU to run it, and there may be various modules that need to be recoded or even reflashed to work properly with the VR6.

Honestly unless you love the VR6 and feel you have to have it, I don't think it's worth it. A tuned 2.0T is already at the same power, a K04 is way beyond what the VR6 will give you. (Though granted if you were to turbo the 3.2 that's a whole other story). It's not going to be too cheap though I'm not sure what you're finding the engine for and how much of the work you'd be doing yourself. I mean if spending what will likely end up being several thousand is fine with you, then go for it.

Other options if you love the 3.2L are to buy an .:R32 or buy a TT 3.2L (which even comes in manual, if that floats your boat). Mk2 TT 3.2s are actually not that hard to find (I came across a few when I was looking for my TT-S which I bought a year and a bit ago).

·
Registered
2,491 Posts
Coming in late but I think it's even more involved than Audi'sRevenge stated. The transmission is technically the same, but the bellhousing side of the case is different and has a different bolt pattern, so that would need replacing. Also, the wiring and the ECU are different, to inlcude the fusebox. You would have to take the whole dash apart to get everything right. Different exhaust. This is all in addition to the things mentioned in the above post. It would be far less expensive to just buy a 3.2 car.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts