VW Vortex - Volkswagen Forum banner
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Ok iam picking up a 1991 golf gti 16v this week for around a 1000$ or less. i called 1-800-vwparts and they told me i can get a 2.0 from a mk3 for 1000$ w/ everything i need to do the install. Is this a common swap? and does anyone have any other advice they would like to give me as far as swapping goes? thanks.

·
Registered
9,059 Posts
Re: Engine swap in 1991 gti (JoeBallz)

You'll be going from a 16v motor to an 8v motor.
Spend the money rebuilding the 16v and running stand alone management.

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Re: Engine swap in 1991 gti (ACEdubs)

well how much would a rebuild cost on the 16v? i would have thought that a 1000$ for a 2.0 was a decent price with everything i need, but if a rebuild is cheaper i might just do that. this is my daily driver so im not gonna go crazy with it i just want to do it up reliable, so let me know what my best bet would be. thanks.

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·

well either way i dont mind it as long as it cost between 1000-1500$ i dont feel like spend alot on this since its just my daily driver. i was only asking about the 2.0 from a mk3 because i talked to a bunch of people who told me its a common sway that is cheap.

·
Registered
4,279 Posts

Quote, originally posted by ACEdubs »
Just seems backwards to me.
2.0 16v --> 2.0 8v
I may not seem backwards to someone who wants a reliable simple motor with good all around driving ability. Dont get me wrong. The 2.0 16v is a good motor, but the aba is also a good motor and for daily driving Im thinking may be a better option.

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Re: Engine swap in 1991 gti (Mk2GTiG60)

well i dont know to much about vdubs so i cant really talk, but when i heard that for a 1000$ i can get the mk3 engine and everything i need for an install i thought that was a good deal, plus ive been told that the 2.0 mk3 is a simple and reliable motor to work on , but like i said this is just what im hearing since iam new to vdubs

Modified by JoeBallz at 10:56 PM 6-19-2006

·
Registered
9,059 Posts

Quote, originally posted by Mk2GTiG60 »
I may not seem backwards to someone who wants a reliable simple motor with good all around driving ability. Dont get me wrong. The 2.0 16v is a good motor, but the aba is also a good motor and for daily driving Im thinking may be a better option.

A quote by THE HAMSTER. Couldn't agree more.
more reliable? engine swaps does not mean reliable, all depends on who did it really, and from the sounds of it, you won't be the one doing it.
if you want more reliability, do a full tune-up, get whatever you talking about with your tranny fixed, check your fuel pumps etc, do all the maintenance things, incuding timing belt and water pump etc. check cv boots, change all engine fluids (tranny oil included), check all brakes, bearings, exhaust system/hangers, check all grounds and electrical connections for bad wires etc, check all cooling system hoses for bulges/corrosion, change your brake fluid, all those things will help with your "reliability".
as you can see there is alot too it. however if you end up putting an average of 50 a month into repairs/maintenance over a couple of years, that's alot less than 300+ into new car payments. that's the way i look at it.

·
Registered
4,279 Posts

Quote, originally posted by ACEdubs »

A quote by THE HAMSTER. Couldn't agree more.
more reliable? engine swaps does not mean reliable, all depends on who did it really, and from the sounds of it, you won't be the one doing it.
if you want more reliability, do a full tune-up, get whatever you talking about with your tranny fixed, check your fuel pumps etc, do all the maintenance things, incuding timing belt and water pump etc. check cv boots, change all engine fluids (tranny oil included), check all brakes, bearings, exhaust system/hangers, check all grounds and electrical connections for bad wires etc, check all cooling system hoses for bulges/corrosion, change your brake fluid, all those things will help with your "reliability".
as you can see there is alot too it. however if you end up putting an average of 50 a month into repairs/maintenance over a couple of years, that's alot less than 300+ into new car payments. that's the way i look at it.
I agree with this also. I did not take into consideration the little things that go along with a motor swap that someone may not be equiped to deal with.

·
Registered
9,059 Posts

Quote, originally posted by Mk2GTiG60 »
I agree with this also. I did not take into consideration the little things that go along with a motor swap that someone may not be equiped to deal with.

exactly

·
Registered
1,113 Posts

therye saying that the 2.0 out ofa mk3 has less power than th 16v that is stock in the car your getting..
i have an aba swap in my car, .. i like it alot , but i had an 8v in it before .
i think youd be better off re-building your motor, or buying one thats already in known good shape and swaping that in if your worried about the motor thats in it already..
to swap in the mk3 aba, you have to do a little wireing and such (not as intense as other swaps) but theres still some..
if you kept your 16v and swaped in a rebuilt one you could jsut simply swap them..

1 - 14 of 14 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.