VW Vortex - Volkswagen Forum banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
2,097 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
This is a non-VW specific question. I have the car classification worksheet: http://www.scca-milwaukee.org/...n.pdf which states that ‘engine swaps other than direct replacement’ are classed in Street Prepared, otherwise known as section 15 of the SCCA rulebook. However I cannot find ANYTHING in section 15 that allows any kind of engine swap. Intakes, Throttle bodies, valve jobs, headers, are allowed but no engine swaps. Engine swaps seem to be covered under Street Modified rules. Am I correct in this? Otherwise, what does this worksheet refer to as a legal swap?

·
Registered
1,074 Posts
Re: Engine swap in SP? (AutoXMan)

engine swaps are legal between cars listed on the same line of the SP rules. I.E., you can put a 1.8 from an 84 GTI in a 76 Rabbit.
HTH
Brad

·
Registered
2,097 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Re: Engine swap in SP? (Gazornan)

Ok, I get it now. The restrictions on model years don't apply. It's in the intro section for SP. Thanks!

·
Registered
1,196 Posts

Engines must be updates/backdated as a unit (no mixing of heads and blocks).
Peace,
kevin

·
Registered
2,097 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Re: Engine swap in SP? (bluevr6)

Right. Raises another question, what section allows different heads? I assume SM because of the general rules on engine sizes and not much else. Nothing 'below' that would seem to allow different heads. I was pretty bummed about cams. Was hoping for a J-Spec *gasp* conversion.
NOT in my DUB. Relax!

·
Registered
543 Posts

SM or the correct mod class. Even in prepared you must use the stock head although you can port it all you want.

·
Registered
47 Posts
Re: Engine swap in SP? (Draksia)

If I'm taking an '86 scirocco and using an ABA/JH hybrid swap, what class would I fall into? SM I assume?

·
Registered
1,074 Posts
Re: Engine swap in SP? (BigDvw)

Quote, originally posted by BigDvw »
If I'm taking an '86 scirocco and using an ABA/JH hybrid swap, what class would I fall into? SM I assume?

You assume correctly.

·
Registered
2,645 Posts
Re: Engine swap in SP? (Gazornan)

what about clutches then? im gonna be running a 91 golf with the clutch from an aba 2.0L engine..... would that be legal in street prepared?

·
Registered
472 Posts
Re: Engine swap in SP? (JediKGB)

Any clutch/flywheel can be used - as long as it's not one of those fancy multi-plate versions.
You should get a rulebook too by the way.

·
Registered
9,735 Posts

In regards to engine swaps.
If you take a engine from the same chassis A1 to A1, A3 to A3 its update/backdate. If you swap VW engines ie 1.8T, VR6, ABA, 16v from one chassis line to one that does not offer it as part of that lineup you are placed in SM.
Once you get into mods and stuff you start at SM and move up the modified chain.

·
Registered
2,645 Posts
Re: Engine swap in SP? (jamesb)

But in SP you couldn't just swap a head (like the ABA X-flow) onto an older block right? What about an Oil pump from the ABA to the 1.8L digi, would that be legal?

p.s. I'm waiting for my rulebook to come in the mail....

·
Registered
880 Posts
I have an 81 VW Pickup with an 87 Scirocco 16V in it and am interested in autocrossing it. Will I be put in a strange class even though it is an A1 setup?

·
Registered
1,092 Posts
Re: (dubtruker)

I'm 90+% sure you will go to SM. The Rocco is the only A1 chassis that can use a 16V in stock or street prepared.

·
Registered
1,074 Posts
Re: (dubtruker)

The rule is NOT any a1 engine in any a1 car. In Street Prepared, the car must be listed on the same line of the classification pages. There are seperate lines for:

Rabbit & Jetta (8V, '75-'84) (A-1 chassis)
Scirocco (8V all)
Golf & Jetta (8V, '85-'93) (A2 chassis)
Golf (16V) & Jetta (16V) & Scirocco (16V)
You may not update/backdate between any cars listed on seperate lines.
HTH
Brad

·
Registered
472 Posts
Re: Engine swap in SP? (bluevr6)

Quote, originally posted by bluevr6 »
Uhm any clutch is allowed in SP.
Yes, that includes the tilton's.

If that is true and I'm just remembering this wrong, thanks for correcting me (unfortuntely I don't have a 2004 rulebook here handy to verify).
But, are you sure there wasn't a recent fast track proposal (IE: "for member's review") if not rule change on this though? I remember something like that, for Street Prepared, some time within the last couple of years. They were at least discussing prohibiting them (multi-plate clutches) on the basis that they were too expensive.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts