VW Vortex - Volkswagen Forum banner
1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
10,817 Posts
Re: ENGINE SWAP (newf0undme)

Quote, originally posted by newf0undme »
WOULD I NEED TO CHANGE ANYTHING ELSE OTHER THAN THE ENGINE FROM A 2001 GOLF 2.0L GL ENGINE TO A 2000 GTI 1.8T ENGINE?

dont listen to these morons

just turbo or supercharge the 2 liter... much easier and thousands and thousands less http://****************.com/smile/emthup.gif

·
Registered
2,248 Posts

Quote, originally posted by newf0undme »
WOULD I NEED TO CHANGE ANYTHING ELSE OTHER THAN THE ENGINE FROM A 2001 GOLF 2.0L GL ENGINE TO A 2000 GTI 1.8T ENGINE?

I would assume that a majority of the engine wiring in the car would have to be changed, due to different sied plugs on 1.8T vs 2.0 engines. In addition, transmission ECU, cluster, the list goes on and on. You are better off trying to find a 1.8T that suits you (as in, if you need a 4-door, look for a GLS 1.8T). Better luxury features than the GL and a much easier and probably cheaper proposition...

·
Registered
8,438 Posts

a bentley manual would be a better solution for you. Especially since it breaks down the whole process. I am looking at section 10 right now and it looks like the are few differences that separate both engines. Sorry but i am not much of a typer right now.
Is your car manual or automatic?

you know, it makes more sense to supercharge it instead.

Modified by mozcar78 at 11:07 AM 7-24-2005

Modified by mozcar78 at 11:10 AM 7-24-2005

·
Registered
6,815 Posts
Re: ENGINE SWAP (mozcar78)

It's pretty much a direct swap, the 1.8T engine bolts right up to the 2.0 transmission (identical).
Since your engines are 2000 & 2001, they'll both be IMMO-2 cluster/key barrel settings therefore you shouldn't run into problems.
I say do it! Especially if you pick up the 1.8T engine for a decent price.

·
Registered
8,438 Posts
Re: ENGINE SWAP (GolfGLSGirl)

Quote, originally posted by GolfGLSGirl »
It's pretty much a direct swap, the 1.8T engine bolts right up to the 2.0 transmission (identical).
Since your engines are 2000 & 2001, they'll both be IMMO-2 cluster/key barrel settings therefore you shouldn't run into problems.

yup it pretty much is....just finished the section......lesson learned today!!

·
Registered
10,721 Posts
Re: ENGINE SWAP (GolfGLSGirl)

Quote, originally posted by GolfGLSGirl »

valid point.......also instead of doin a swap do what was metioned eariler....just f/i your 2.0 the neuspeed supercharger will bring you around stock 1.8 hp...also the 2.0 is a damn solid motor....granted the 1.8t is very nice the 2.0 is practallic bullet proof....
granted i have a 2.0 also and here is my input....just strap a supercharger on there...its realllllly easy...pretty much no tuning....and really realiable

·
Registered
1,766 Posts
Re: ENGINE SWAP (CPISH)

I've had a the NS s/c setup and then did the swap your asking about including a auto to manuel conversion. Here's what you need(this assumes no transmission type conversion if your converting to a manuel there are some other things you need IM me for details if that is the case).
-Engine with all sensors and parts
-Suggested you get a 1.8t tranny the 2.0 one will work but the gearing is to close and low for good performance on a 1.8t
-ECU
-ECU wiring harness
-Drive by wire pedal set
-The part of the wiring harness that goes from the electronic accelerator pedal to the junction box under the windsheild wipers. Also if there is only one switch on your clutch pedal you will have to add another then run the wiring for that up to the Junction box as well. This is the only part of the wiring you have to change inside the car unless you are converting from an automatic
-You need or need to know some one with a VAG-Com to change some of the coding for your car and adapt the ecu to the cluster.

1 - 20 of 21 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.