VW Vortex - Volkswagen Forum banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey guys, whats up? I was just wondering what all of the possible engine swaps were for my 1990 Jetta GL. The current engine is used up (over 200,000 miles on it!) and I wanna swap for something new. I've got a 1.8 liter, 8 valve (SOHC) right know. I really wanna bump it up to a DOHC with 2.0L or more. What would you reccomend I do. Also what kind of power output do you think a certain engine could get me and where I could get all the neccesary parts needed (wiring harrnesses, mounting brackets, ECU, ect.....)
Thanks a lot.

·
Registered
1,472 Posts
Re: Engine Swaps for a 1990 Jetta GL (Kid_Tuner)

as you have a digi it would require a lot of wiring and swap to cis-e but you can swap the bottom and get good power from a ABA 93-98.

·
Registered
24,968 Posts
Re: Engine Swaps for a 1990 Jetta GL (hybrid gti 2)

Quote, originally posted by hybrid gti 2 »
as you have a digi it would require a lot of wiring and swap to cis-e....

That's if he's using a pre 90 16v. he could use harness, ECU and motor out of a Passat or a later 91-92 16v.

You can pretty much swap in any VW motor but it all depends on your budget. You can swap in a 24v VR6 but it will coist you upwards of 10k. Tell us how much your will to spend and is the car a daily driver cause that plays a bit factor when your choosing a motor.

·
Registered
246 Posts

200 000 miles! thats not used up!

My 89 jetta 8v has 380 000 on it and I have driven it for a year since the odometer stopped at that! Now I don't even bother to change the oil! I'm sure others will tell you storys of high mileage like that too!

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Re: Engine Swaps for a 1990 Jetta GL (mk2dub)

How much would a swap for a 1.8T cost me??? With everting that I would need for the install.

·
Registered
3,685 Posts
Re: Engine Swaps for a 1990 Jetta GL (NHjetta)

the february 2k4 issue of eurotuner has a complete vw swap guide in it. looking through that should help you decide what engine you'd want to swap if you end up deciding to do so. IMO stick with the engine until it starts giving you some serious trouble. 200,000 miles is like a half life on a vw.

·
Registered
1,472 Posts
Re: Engine Swaps for a 1990 Jetta GL (crushkilldestroy)

specialized german was selling a 1.8t kit for $3500 but that was a while ago. they also have the ABA for $250 + shipping though.

·
Registered
2,971 Posts
Re: Engine Swaps for a 1990 Jetta GL (hybrid gti 2)

Quote, originally posted by hybrid gti 2 »
specialized german was selling a 1.8t kit for $3500 but that was a while ago. they also have the ABA for $250 + shipping though.

what? where? do you have a url? or anything for these guys?

·
Registered
1,291 Posts

Quote, originally posted by Kid_Tuner »
How much would a swap for a 1.8T cost me??? With everting that I would need for the install.

more then you have, unless ofcourse your parents chip in, or you slang crack.

·
Registered
215 Posts

You want a cheap swap? Find a junk early 90 pasat. It'd make the perefect donor to make ur car a 2 liter 16v DOHC. When u come across some money you could get a turbo system for your 2.0 16v (450+ hp at wheels)

1 - 11 of 11 Posts