VW Vortex - Volkswagen Forum banner
1 - 20 of 32 Posts

· Registered
1,248 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
it was pretty cold today here on long island and while i was driving for awhile on the expressway, i noticed that the engine temperature needle wasn't pointing directly in the middle like it usually does when the car is warmed up. It was one notch over to the left. It was like that all the way to work. Should I be concerned about this?

· Registered
8,983 Posts
Re: engine temperature (halcyon100)

This was 1 day, if this is happening for a prolonged time like a cold snap then worry about it. He may need a coolant temp sensor or maybe to check his coolant (not a bad idea to check every couple of months etc).

· Registered
3,080 Posts
Re: engine temperature (Ferris Buehler)

I thought our temp guages weren't actually reading each degree...it kinda has three positions...cold, the middle and overheating, it won't actually read out the temp. Maybe I'm wrong but I thought I read that somewhere.
It's been cold as anything around here in Washington, DC (about 12 degrees this morning when I started it up) and by the time I reached the commuter lot (7 minutes or so) I was back at the 190 middle. *shrug*

· Registered
468 Posts
Re: engine temperature (VRSung)

I have noticed that these new 24V VR6's take a bit longer to warm up. Just watch that it does reach normal temp.... Running an engine cold is almost as bad as overheating a motor. I bet your 1.8t warms up much faster right? I now mine did; that is when I had one.

Modified by Lief at 3:08 PM 1-8-2004

· Registered
29 Posts
Re: engine temperature (Lief)

I had the same problem coming home last week ended up costing me $ 400. My temperature was so high it set-off the engine light and I had it towed to the shop.
I had the thermostat replaced and the coolant flushed and replaced, they did a system check on the engine and all checkout perfect! The towing and labor was the major cost on this job!
I would have your system checked if this continues.
Peace

· Registered
681 Posts
Re: (24v-VRooom6)

Quote, originally posted by 24v-VRooom6 »
when mine is fully hearted up, the needle is like one degree to the left of dead-center

not sure if it one complete degree, but it is just to the left of center

· Registered
4,593 Posts
Re: (wuznme)

it doesnt matter how cold it is outside your car should still warm up to normal temp, cause the engine block gets a hell of a lot hoter then 190 degrees and the water/antifreeze compinsates that.
it was -4 the other day here, i drove for a while and the car was never below the 190 mark
on the other hand the weird thing that happend when it was that cold the other day it took freaking forever for my heater to warm up...it got semi warm then all the sudden it just starts blowing frigide air....i played with it for 15 minutes and NOTHING i was so damn pissed. then the next morning it started working again...that was the damndest thing

· Banned
693 Posts
Re: (2002gtibluvr6)

Quote, originally posted by 2002gtibluvr6 »

on the other hand the weird thing that happend when it was that cold the other day it took freaking forever for my heater to warm up...it got semi warm then all the sudden it just starts blowing frigide air....i played with it for 15 minutes and NOTHING i was so damn pissed. then the next morning it started working again...that was the damndest thing

do you know how the heater works ?

· Registered
4,470 Posts
BTW, the beauty of themostats... it doesnt matter if it's -10 degrees or 90 degrees, our cars will still heat up to just below 190 http://****************.com/smile/emthup.gif However, the outside temp does effect how quickly this happens

· Registered
1,248 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Re: (24v-VRooom6)

today, on the way home, it was about 7 degrees colder than when i the problem for the first time.
The commute home from work is about 20 miles, 30-40 minutes with traffic. I noticed that the needle was now two notches to the left of 190 degrees, middle. I thought that maybe I wasn't revving my car high enough so i shifted down to 5th and cruised at around 3700 rpm.
The temperature went up one notch but, almost home, I was stopped at a light and the temperature dropped even more. it was almost at the the lines all the way at the left.
I drove the rest of the way home in 4th at 4000 rpm and it was up one notch. Hopefully I'll get some answers at the dealership on Monday.

· Registered
2,669 Posts
Re: (VRSung)

Quote, originally posted by VRSung »
... Hopefully I'll get some answers at the dealership on Monday.

Please post the results. It's nice to learn the "workings" of these cars instead of how many body kits can I fit at one time or can I run 26" wheels without rubbing the fenders. Good luck.

· Registered
4,593 Posts
Re: (AbTwannaB)

yes smart ass i know how the heater works i know your joking...when this happend the fan was on 3 and the temp selector was all the way to red, so it was something internally hiccuping it wasnt me, but it works fine now so i really dont care unless ithappens again then i will have to speak with my coworkers

· Registered
950 Posts
Re: (2002gtibluvr6)

Quote, originally posted by 2002gtibluvr6 »
yes smart ass i know how the heater works i know your joking...when this happend the fan was on 3 and the temp selector was all the way to red, so it was something internally hiccuping it wasnt me, but it works fine now so i really dont care unless ithappens again then i will have to speak with my coworkers

Thats not what the guy was asking. Your heater works directly off of your cooland by sending the nice warm coolant inside the dash into the heater core. You get hot are out of the vents when the blower motor blows air across the heater core, and then the hot air come out to hit you in the face. Just because your heater switch is all the way into the red does not mean that you get hot air. You only get hot air when the cooland is hot.

1 - 20 of 32 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.