VW Vortex - Volkswagen Forum banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
10,052 Posts
I doubt if there is anyone on earth that can answer your questions. It's such an odd request. I think the only way to know if it will work is to do it yourself. If you do not have the skills and tools to make such parts you will need, I would find something that has Toyota on it. There has got to be at least one engine that would be a fairly easy bolt up. Heck, put a turbo on the stock engine. That would give you what you are looking for.

·
Registered
10,052 Posts
OK, I get it. When someone says they are going to shoe horn a VW diesel engine in their Toyota I was thinking it was the engine, not the entire powertrain.

Now that I got my head out of my a$$, I can follow this thread without wondering 'Is everyone here just nuts?'

I do agree you can properly size a turbo to get good power where you want it. Most seem to think bigger is better and I honestly think that is just pain old foolish. There were days when turbo gas engines first came out that the power came on with a bang at the top end. I've driven a few of those cars in the late 70's/early 80's and they were terrible. Today's turbo engines are so much easier to drive.

·
Registered
10,052 Posts
When I turbo'd my 81 Rabbit pickup with a 1.8L, I spent hours looking at maps and did my best to predict what would happen when I installed a modified Mercedes 300DT turbocharger in it. When I got my build running [it's never completed] I had a smile on my face when I did the first full throttle run. Max boost at just over 2k and building boost at just over 1.6k. Full throttle at freeway speeds does not need a downshift to 4th.

·
Registered
10,052 Posts
Without a doubt, most builds and butchery is a waste of money and time [ie stupid/dumb]. The sad thing is that something in the back of our mind wants us to do it and will not stop pushing that idea.

I know Fast likes to run and running is certainly a tough sport. I like riding a bicycle, same thing but faster. Why do we get pleasure in pain and trying to go faster? I do not know but there is something wrong inside of me.

It's only stupid if you hate doing it and getting nothing out of it but are doing it anyway.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts