VW Vortex - Volkswagen Forum banner
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

· Registered
57 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm getting a lot of hesitation on midrange acceleration. It idles fine, doesn't need any throttle to stay running. On wide open throttle, it doesn't hesitate.
I have recently (<1 month) replaced plugs, wires, cap, rotor, air filter and fuel filter.
What's up with my car?

· Registered
57 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
Re: Engine trouble 8V MKII - Thoughts? (old_skul)

Okay, tried to go out for some lunch - it was barely able to get it back into the lot. It's hesitating really bad now. I think it's my Hall sender connection since I wiggled it before going out. Sigh.

· Registered
57 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Re: Engine trouble 8V MKII - Thoughts? (Kameirocco)

Nope. It's pretty much stock.
It feels like it's bogging down with no spark, because it was doing a little bit of backfiring after trying to run with wide open throttle for a while. I hope I didn't ruin my cat by doing that.
I'll wiggle the Hall sender connector again before I leave.

· Registered
23,928 Posts

Hows the temperature there? I had a simlar kind of problem when it got real cold, i think my fuel lines were freezing up. I couldn't go more that 40kph and 2500 rpms until the car warmed up. I dunno, I'm just giving you ideas.

· Registered
8,858 Posts
Re: Engine trouble 8V MKII - Thoughts? (VWVancouver)

my car does the same thing when it's cold here too...very cold blooded animal i have
it bogs down for awile...
but a temporary solution i have come up with was after it started idling i'd slowly put it up to about 2k-ish and held it for about 30-45 seconds and after that it'd run like a champ (still a lil bogging but that went away after a few mins of drving)
but my car is frozen as well as the roads, so no driving for awhile it looks like!

· Registered
57 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Re: Engine trouble 8V MKII - Thoughts? (Kameirocco)

It's real cold outside. This started when we had a cold snap into the teens.
I just replaced the fuel filter, and have ran STP injector cleaner through it, as well as a bottle of Techron. I just changed the oil even!
I'll report back in a couple of hours.

· Registered
2,200 Posts

Check you're spark at the plugs. If you rule out spark problems, pop out the fuel injectors, lift the flow plate up and down whilst watching their spray patterns.

· Registered
57 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Re: Engine trouble 8V MKII - Thoughts? (robw_z)

I'm reasonably certain I have spark for the most part. I don't know if I have the skill to pop out injectors and check the spray pattern. I did run injector cleaner and Techron through it a couple of weeks ago, and it was running fine for a couple of days until it got cold.
I made it home from work, by the way. It would run at partial throttle for maybe 3 or 4 minutes at a time, bog down, and quit. I had to stop on an interstate 5 different times to go 21 miles. It was terrifying.
I replaced my fuel filter just this past Sunday. If it had a tiny, tiny leak, could this cause this kind of problem?

· Registered
522 Posts
Re: Engine trouble 8V MKII - Thoughts? (Dimitri16V)

could be the injecter O rings, maybe the timing is off. My car used to run like crap till it warmed up when the timing was badly off. same with the injector o rings, it ran like crap untill i tapped them in, or it warmed up enough to expand the rubber. Maybe yourcold start injector is bad?

· Registered
57 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·

Finally fixed it. It was the in-tank fuel pump. Replaced it with the Pierburg unit that was advertised on Ebay.
When I replaced the pump, the ground wire for the pump was practically hanging loose. I tightened that down and replaced the pump anyway. Runs like a top again!
Now to get through the emissions test....

1 - 14 of 14 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.