VW Vortex - Volkswagen Forum banner
1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
98 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hopefully someone here can tell me what my problem might be.
I have an 89 jetta, 1.8 sohc.. ( I know this isnt the mk2 forum.. but im hoping maybe someone here can help me ) and ive been having some troubles latley.. a short while ago i noticed that when i apply a load to my engine ( putting the acelerator to the floor, or climbing a steep hill ) at about 3000 rpm, the engine seems to clunk.. it feels as if im very quickly pushing the gas pedal down and releasing it, over and over, and the engine is knocking around on its mounts. mind you it may not be the engine for all i know.. maybe the tranny, but none the less it only happens when i put a load on the engine,. also its only noticeable in 4th and 5th gear, and sometimes in 3rd if the engine is reved past 4500rpm.. which it rarley is. Now the clunking is happending at a lower rpm.. i can now feel it at about 2400 rpm, instead of 3000.. anyone got any ideas what it is ? Once again.. its a pretty harsh clunk i feel, as if the engine is knocking around under the hood, or someone is smashing it with a sledge hammer.. maybe worn bearings ? or perhaps something with the ignition ? any ideas ?

1 - 2 of 2 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.