VW Vortex - Volkswagen Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
36 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello, guys.
I just replaced my timing belt after it failed. Now, the engine cranks but it does not start. It seems like I have too many bent valves.
-Do any of you guys know if I have take out the cylinder head in order to get to the valves or can I just remove the cam shafts?
-What would be the easiest way to replace the valves?
-I couldn't find anything when I googled it. Is there a helpful website for valve replacement besides the Bently Manual?
-I don't have an air compressor to blow into the cylinder.
BTW, I recently quit my job so I'm trying to save money. Replacing with rebuilt cylinder head is out of the question($1500 vs. $800 for 20 valves and other parts).

Thanks for your help!

·
Registered
3,940 Posts
Re: engine valve replace (KMC)

The head has to come off to do the valves. Cams come out, followed by the lifters. Next you'll need a valve spring compressor to remove the retainers. After that, out come the hats, springs, valve stem seal and the lower seat. The valve will now pop out of the head.
Installation is reverse of the removal. New seals are a must, and depending on the damage, your valve seat may need to be reground.
As a heads up, the generic valve spring compressor that is sold had too large of a diameter to fit in the lifter bucket on the intake side. Some improvization is going to be necessary.
Pat

·
Registered
36 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·

Thanks for the information Pat, but one more thing. I can do the timing belt job in about 3-4 hours and 7 hours for the clutch. That can help you to gauge my speed. Roughly, how long do you think it would take to change all 20 valves?

·
Registered
3,940 Posts

If you're cranking, I think you could have the head off in 5. Figure another 3 of various R&R of the valves and seals, then another 4 or so to get the head back on.
I wouldn't rush this job though. You're going to want to see if the bent valves caused any damage to the seat area, otherwise you might as well not even change the valves. While you're in there, check the head for flatness using a straight edge and a feeler gauge, and clean the pistons and combustion chamber.
Pat

1 - 4 of 4 Posts