VW Vortex - Volkswagen Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
303 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I tried to find more on this through search, but I couldn't (though I feel like I read about it before). I did find one thread on 3.6, but this is about 2.0T.
Anyway, here's the problem: when the car is idling, there is a strong pulsation or vibration, to the point that it feels the car is having one of those "jumping" suspensions (for the lack of the better term). I can see the hood shaking. This happens when the gear is engaged (automatic) in both S and D. It's also present if the shifter is in N. Recently, I had the MIL light on, but it's off now. The car was diagnosed as needing the flap intake motor replacement. Since the item is backordered, I need to wait. There was no indication on MFD whatsoever yesterday, everything looked normal, but the car wasn't behaving normally. The car behaved ok when in motion, but as soon as I would raise my foot off the gas pedal, I could sense those vibrations/pulsations.
All this happened on the way to the airport as I was going to the conference. I had to catch my flight so I didn't have the time to open the hood and inspect the engine compartment visually. The car is now at the airport parking and I'll take it to the dealer once I return from the conference. I wanted to hear your thoughts and/or similar experiences. Thank you!

·
Registered
1,755 Posts
Re: Engine vibrations when idle (bonbon)

I have sensed that my car has a little more vibration at idle than other cars I have driven, but not the way you explain it. I mean I can barely feel a vibration

·
Registered
4,129 Posts

Same thing that my car is in for right now. I have 4 intake runner flap motor fault codes and just recently threw a code for my abs system (00599). Very poor cold starts and vibration through the brake pedal (not as severe as you describe). I will post an update after the dealer has had time to go over everything and let's me know.

·
Registered
90 Posts
Re: Engine vibrations when idle (rbradleymedmd)

Just had this issue repaired under warranty 3 days ago. Mine also made a very high-pitched squeel after the engine was warm. All is well now...except for the continuing "normal drivetrain backlash.",
which continues to worsen.

·
Registered
4,129 Posts
Re: Engine vibrations when idle (LSLBoiler)

Quote, originally posted by LSLBoiler »
Just had this issue repaired under warranty 3 days ago. Mine also made a very high-pitched squeel after the engine was warm. All is well now...except for the continuing "normal drivetrain backlash.",
which continues to worsen.

what did they replace at the dealer?

·
Registered
150 Posts

There was a TSB on the 2.0T running too lean at idle for some 2006 models. The fix was to replace the air filter housing with a new design.

·
Registered
303 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Re: Engine vibrations when idle (CRB)

Quote, originally posted by CRB »
There was a TSB on the 2.0T running too lean at idle for some 2006 models. The fix was to replace the air filter housing with a new design.

Do you have the TSB number? I'm flying back home today and will see how the car behaves now.

·
Registered
150 Posts

Quote, originally posted by bonbon »

Do you have the TSB number? I'm flying back home today and will see how the car behaves now.

24 07 10 Oct. 10, 2007 2013155

·
Registered
303 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Re: Engine vibrations when idle (CRB)

Quote, originally posted by CRB »

24 07 10 Oct. 10, 2007 2013155

Thanks a lot!

·
Registered
303 Posts
Discussion Starter #10

I took the car from the airport yesterday and, of course, the problem is still there. When I arrived home, the MIL light came on. As I said before, the light came on about ten days ago and the car was diagnosed as needing the intake flap motor replacement, which is on backorder. I guess that's the problem, and hopefully not something new. The car drives fine. The problem is there only when idling. As soon as I press the gas pedal the vibration is gone.

·
Registered
303 Posts
Discussion Starter #11

UPDATE: I drove the car to grocery store. The MIL light on, idle RPM going up and down (between 800 and 1600) when in 'P'. Will take care to the dealer first thing in the morning. I found this post on the forum, so I thought I should reference it for the benefit of those who might experience similar problem in future. It's very similar to what I'm experiencing, though my display wouldn't dim as in the post below.
http://forums.vwvortex.com/zerothread?id=3494021

1 - 11 of 11 Posts