VW Vortex - Volkswagen Forum banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
550 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I've got the JE forged 81mm pistons, and lightened and (balanced?) with the stock crank. I know that i have all that cause i opened up the oil pan to check. But i dont know the specifics. I got a 16v front motor mount, and the other mounts are definatly not stock. Not sure what they are, but they look like the ND ones. Anyways, i am getting extremely pissssed at the vibrating. EVERYTHING SHAKES!!!!!!!!!! What i was told is that it could be my engine. Maybe the engine isnt balanced correctly? Or maybe its all because of the mounts?
The shaking is really bad. In idle its bad, and only when you rev does it smooth out. Some opinions would be helpful.

·
Registered
11,621 Posts
Re: Entire car vibrating problem. (g60vwr)

Isn't the crank pulley a "harmonic dampner" thats why its so heavy, I may be completely wrong but if it was replaced with a lighter one wouldn't it cause excess virbrations?

·
Registered
980 Posts
Re: Entire car vibrating problem. (Fast_bunny)

mine shakes really bad too i need a new motor mount check them out or else you bang gears and your engine bangs the hood :-( trust me i know and its not fun

·
Registered
550 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Re: Entire car vibrating problem. (Wonderwop)

As for my motor mounts being soo bad that the motor moves. NO WAY! i did the test. Where you pull the e-brake, and try to take off. the motor doesnt even move. Its like i have solid mounts. The front mount is a 16v one, so its pretty tough. But the braket it sits in is broken. I dont think that could be the culprit of all that shaking. I mean its causing my glove box and just about everything in the dash to shake. And the cricket noises piss me off. Help on how to check if its the fly wheel would be great. Ohh by the way. Maybe this helps. Every once in a while when i come to start the car, it feels like the starter is jumping. I was told it could be my flywheel. Could it be the flywheel thats making all this vibration, and starting problems? If so how could i check?

·
Registered
11,641 Posts
Re: Entire car vibrating problem. (BiboRado)

quote:[HR][/HR]Could it be the flywheel thats making all this vibration, and starting problems? If so how could i check?[HR][/HR]​
Yeah, it definitely sounds like it could be a flywheel problem. How's your clutch pedal feel?
There isn't really any perfect way to check it still on the car, but you can get a peek at it in two different spots - first, the timing hole - right near the edge of the bell housing, on the top of the tranny, there's a black rubber plug in a hole. Pull it out and you can see the edge of the flywheel (it is there so you can check the timing marks engraved into the edge of the flywheel.) Also, if you crawl under your car, and look up beside the oil pan, you can kinda see in to the bell housing a bit.
Those inspection points probably won't tell you anything, but it is a place to start.
That broken motor mount bracket also interests me. How broken is it? Do ya have a digital camera by any chance?
Also, stupid question - how's your engine running? If one cylinder isn't firing (say, because it isn't getting spark) then that can cause the shakes, too.
-Nate

1 - 8 of 8 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.