VW Vortex - Volkswagen Forum banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Getting flashing CEL on cold starts and EPC light in conjunction with said light (shuddering motor(misfiring)). I turn off the car and restart, EPC goes away and so does the CEL (most of the time). Seems to be some hesitance while applying throttle at low rpms (usually when coming from a dead stop). Lot of work was done by the previous owner and a few things myself.

Timing Chain, Timing Chain Tensioner, Injectors, Water Pump, Spark Plugs, Ignition Coils, Coolant Temp. Sensor, Intake and Exhaust Valves, PCV and Diaphragm, Cylinder Compression Test...

There may be a thing or two to add, don't have the build list in front of me. Since I have had it I have done the PCV and Spark Plugs. Had light reset both times and still had the same issue.

With just CEL I get a P0300 (RANDOM MULTIPLE MISFIRE)
With flashing CEL and EPC I get P0300
P0301 (CYL 1 MISFIRE)
P0304 (CYL 4 MISFIRE)
Also had a one off P0302.

I intend to check and clean the MAF sensor once the shop get some cleaner in and if that does not do it I will be in to a deeper realm of troubleshooting. Thanks in advance!

PS
Upper timing chain cover is leaking and will be replaced, not that it has anything to do with this issue as far as I can tell, but, now ya know!

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
So far I'm 3 for 3 getting random misfire codes and a secondary code of cylinder 1 and 2. Playing musical ignition coils. Will update soon! If not, will start shooting wires on coil harness.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Latest development. Had light reset, first start, light started to flash. Restarted engine, and started driving before light was able to come on, no light at all? The more this problem persists, the more I am convinced its electrical.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts