VW Vortex - Volkswagen Forum banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
4,377 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have 140K on the clock and have had this issue several times in the past; each and every time the issue has been corrected by changing the MAF. Also, I should note that I used to have a CAI, but have gone back to the stock intake system and have installed a new MAF post-reinstalling the stock setup.

So, that being said, all three lights are currently on, but intermittently. So here's a typical day in the life of the issue (I drive 80 miles roundtrip, daily to/from work)

Morning drive: temps in the 20's-30's lately. EPC/CEL/ESP lights all on; about 15-20 minutes into my drive (with 10 of those minutes being at highway speed), the EPC light will turn-off accompanied by a momentary surge in acceleration. Light will stay off for maybe 20 minutes and then may come back on. Also during this time the ESP light may also turn off.

Evening drive: typically the same as in the morning, but on those rare days lately where the temps have been oddly mild (low 60's), about mid-way through the drive ALL lights will go off. Sometimes for the entire drive home, or maybe the CEL might come on.

The only codes I pull are a p0101 (indicating perhaps a bad maf) and also a P1142. Load Calculation Cross Check Lower Limit Exceeded. I hate to take the thing in for service because every time i do it seems like I'm paying $1K... Any ideas whats going on?

·
Registered
4,377 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I would try cleaning your tb up... If you know someone with vag they can realign your tb...
http://wiki.ross-tech.com/wiki/index.php/17550/P1142/004418

Have you checked the intake pipe for a leak?? That plastic piece is pretty brittle..
I appreciate the reply!

I will try to clean the tb this weekend. I hadn't thought about the intake pipe. Aside from just a visual inspection, is there anything in particular I should be looking for?

·
Registered
6,400 Posts
just some cracks in it really...
even check all the plastic hoses on the back of the intake mani, they are fairly larger then a normal vacuum line and plastic.. those break a lot...

oh use like a MAF cleaner on the TB.. Clean it up as best you can, maybe even give your MAF a good cleaning... if your intake pipes are dirty clean them up too..

My friend had this issue where he had to replace his TB and his Pedal due to the sensors going bad in what we think was the TB @ this point.. he ended up doing both cause he wasnt sure what the issue was..
but he is now very anal about keeping his TB clean... lol

·
Registered
4,377 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Thanks again, I really appreciate your help.

I can totally understand where your friend is coming from, too. I feel like when i am sitting at stop lights people are looking at my dash and are making fun of all the orange warning lights they see. I am low on wiper fluid as of this morning, so now I've got 4 nice bright orange lights on there.. haha

take care man.

·
Registered
4,377 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
UPDATE: Took apart my intake, from the filter box to the throttle body; cleaned up everything really well with MAF cleaner. Took apart the MAF itself and cleaned thoroughly, twice. Cleaned the throttle body with MAF cleaner. There was a lot of buildup in there after 140K miles. Buttoned everything back up; let it sit for a while -- started it up and allowed everything to burn off, reset the MIL's and after driving ~40 miles to work this morning; everything seems to be running really well; no warning lamps have come back on so far.

Thanks again for taking your time to help me out - I appreciate it!

·
Registered
6,400 Posts
Nice glad its all working out so far! yeah these VW's love clean sensors.. lol

I just took apart all mine Saturday and cleaned the crap out of everything, even did a little seafoam through the brake booster... I was pretty gunked up and now its smooth and feels good!!

1 - 7 of 7 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.