VW Vortex - Volkswagen Forum banner

301 - 320 of 390 Posts

·
Registered
8 Posts
Well, thanks all. Carbon buildup seems to be the general consensus as the culprit. My 2016 GTI with sport pac only has 24,445 miles on it. I’m hoping this doesn’t keep happening cause it’s gonna be an expensive maintenance issue. Otherwise, i love the car.

·
Registered
17 Posts
EPC Light Mystery As Well

I have a '16 SE manual with 53K miles and the EPC light has now come on 6 or 7 times over the course of 4 years. Every time it has occurred it has happened after initial startup after the car had been sitting at least an hour (if not more). Every time it has occurred (except once) turning off the car, waiting a few seconds and turning it back on resolved the issue. The one time it didn't was because I didn't notice the light go on after start up and drove away. The vehicle went into limp mode and after a few minutes (before my first opportunity to stop) the dash panel said the car was about to overheat and had reached a temperature of 280 degrees. I had JUST come to a stop sign so I stopped and turned off the engine. I waited 5 seconds and all was fine. Temp was 200. There's no way that it dropped 80 degrees in like 5 seconds.

I took the vehicle into my mechanic. He only works on German vehicles. Good guy, honest and really damn good at what he does. The computer showed no issues so he reset the codes. It's now occurred twice since then (in last 3 weeks) and turning off the vehicle and restarting resolves the issue. Maybe a bad sensor or something going wrong during boot up of the car's computer?

·
Registered
787 Posts
...check injectors and spark plugs. These are also prone to carbon build-up. Tyrolsport say that they customarily replace the injectors every 50-60K miles as they are troublesome even after cleaning.

·
Registered
17 Posts
If it was carbon build up, wouldn't the EPC light continue to reappear after a restart of the vehicle? I'm not discounting it, but from the troubleshooting thought process of an IT guy, I would expect the problem to still exist immediately afterwards. Maybe I'm wrong. I know squat about engines or their respective computers.

I'll bring this up as a possibility with my mechanic. The spark plugs were replaced during the 40k mile maintenance. I've been pretty religious about hitting all the maintenance when it's due.

·
Registered
178 Posts
Anyone ever have an issue with the EPC light? At first we thought it was because my battery was on its way out. We replaced that and a day latter the EPC popped back up. Now we are getting an error from the Turbo electronics. I'm picking up an is20 spare, but have any of you run into this? My '15 PP has over 75K. It's been APR I since around 7k and Stage 2 20K.

PS - The car runs great. You would never notice any issues.

·
Registered
238 Posts
I get the epc light too. It usually happen in cold morning and when I shut off the car and it back on the light goes away. My car is stock and has 71k miles. I haven’t got a chance to run any diagnostic with vag com.

·
Registered
178 Posts
I get the epc light too. It usually happen in cold morning and when I shut off the car and it back on the light goes away. My car is stock and has 71k miles. I haven’t got a chance to run any diagnostic with vag com.
Thx AVS - We are both around the same milage. Does the car run with no issues like mine? Its strange!

·
Registered
238 Posts
Thx AVS - We are both around the same milage. Does the car run with no issues like mine? Its strange!
I bet the vw put some sort of timer in there to turn on the light at certain mileage. Spark plugs were replaced at 40k. I started to get misfire at idle cyl. 3 around 55k miles. Coils were good. I spray a can of CDI intake cleaner thru the map sensor opening and the misfire issue seem to went away. I also recently replaced the oil separator/pcv. I heard they could be clogged and cause misfire. I opened it up and seems like it’s in good condition. Hopefully that fix the issue.

·
Registered
393 Posts
I had the EPC issue at 52,000 on mine. It was at the dealer a week earlier and they suggested a fuel system clean to address a slightly choppy idle. Did my research on the code and took it to a different dealer and asked them to check the turbo. They said that code wouldn’t be associated with the turbo. I asked politely again for them to check...waste gate had issues. Turbo swapped and no more choppy idle...

·
Registered
238 Posts
I had the EPC issue at 52,000 on mine. It was at the dealer a week earlier and they suggested a fuel system clean to address a slightly choppy idle. Did my research on the code and took it to a different dealer and asked them to check the turbo. They said that code wouldn’t be associated with the turbo. I asked politely again for them to check...waste gate had issues. Turbo swapped and no more choppy idle...
Here's what i pulled from vag com. Seems like it's pointing to issue with the wastegate actuator.

Code:
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Address 01: Engine       Labels: 06K-907-425-V1.clb
Control Module Part Number: 5G0 906 259 L    HW: 06K 907 425 B
  Component and/or Version: 2.0l R4 TFSI  H13 0002
           Software Coding: 091900122424002F1000
            Work Shop Code: WSC 00066 790 00149
              ASAM Dataset: EV_ECM20TFS0205G0906259L 001004 (VW37)
                       ROD: EV_ECM20TFS0205G0906259L.rod
                      VCID: 3753F3C68EBE13F768-8062
8 Faults Found:

15074 - Cylinder Disabling 
          P130A 00 [032] - -
          Intermittent - Not Confirmed - Tested Since Memory Clear

15077 - Idle Control System RPM 
          P0507 00 [032] - Higher than Expected.

26370 - MAP/MAF <-> Throttle Position Correlation 
          P0068 00 [032] - -

15131 - Cylinder 3 
          P0303 00 [096] - Misfire Detected

29382 - Internal Control Module Main Processor Performance 
          P060C 00 [032] - -

14846 - Turbocharger Boost Control Position Sensor Circuit 
          P2563 00 [096] - Implausible Signal

30851 - Loss of Crankshaft Synchronization 
          P191A 00 [101] - -
          Not Confirmed - Tested Since Memory Clear
             Freeze Frame:
                    Fault Status: 00000001
                    Fault Priority: 2
                    Fault Frequency: 1
                    Mileage: 113434 km
                    Date: 2019.10.18
                    Time: 07:53:38

Engine speed: 1053.25 /min
                    Normed load value: 23.5 %
                    Vehicle speed: 0 km/h
                    Coolant temperature: 11 °C
                    Intake air temperature: 11 °C
                    Ambient air pressure: 1000 mbar
                    Voltage terminal 30: 11.074 V
                    Unlearning counter according OBD: 40
                    Engine: operating status: IS
                    STATE_LS_SAE[1]: OL_CDN
                    T_AST_SAE: 0 s
                    MAP_MES_SAE: 42 kPa
                    Lambda probe voltage: bank 1: probe 1 (broadband probe): 1.997 V
                    FAC_TPS_1_SAE: 17.187500 %
                    FUP_H_SAE: 9930.0 kPa

15202 - Actuator Module for Turbocharger 1 
          P00AF 00 [096] - Stuck
             Freeze Frame:
                    Fault Frequency: 2
                    Mileage: 114681 km
                    Date: 2019.12.03
                    Time: 08:13:11

Engine speed: 2795.25 /min
                    Normed load value: 32.2 %
                    Vehicle speed: 27 km/h
                    Coolant temperature: 44 °C
                    Intake air temperature: -1 °C
                    Ambient air pressure: 1030 mbar
                    Voltage terminal 30: 14.687 V
                    Unlearning counter according OBD: 37
                    Status of charge air pressure control valve basic setting-LV_BPA_AD_REQ[0]: 00000000 
                    Charge air pressure control valve uncond voltage sensor: 2.5220 V
                    Charge air pressure control valve position: target value: 99.99 %
                    Charge air pressure control valve position: actual value: 37.58 %
                    Charge air pressure control valve activation pulse duty factor: 73.43 %
                    Charge air pressure control valve voltage: position closed: 3.6523 V
                    STATE_BPA[0]: OPM

Readiness: 0000 0000

·
Registered
178 Posts
Interesting!

I need to run another check to see exactly what the code says.

thx everyone.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Help before I take it to the dealer

I have p0236 as a code. I can clear it and drive the car hard while paddle shifting but if I am say in 5th and want to pass lightly accelerating the epc light comes on.

I can clear the codes with my scanner but after two start ups it comes back no matter what.

I have replaced the map sensor twice and I can see the values with the scanner so I know it’s working.

Where to look next. I keep looking for another sensor but everywhere I have searched shows different things.

·
Registered
1,525 Posts
I have p0236 as a code. I can clear it and drive the car hard while paddle shifting but if I am say in 5th and want to pass lightly accelerating the epc light comes on.

I can clear the codes with my scanner but after two start ups it comes back no matter what.

I have replaced the map sensor twice and I can see the values with the scanner so I know it’s working.

Where to look next. I keep looking for another sensor but everywhere I have searched shows different things.
Replace the PUT sensor in the charge pipe.

·
Registered
6 Posts

Replace the PUT sensor in the charge pipe.
Where is this located?

·
Registered
33 Posts
Hi All,

I've had an intermittent EPC light get thrown a couple times over the last few months, 2016 GTI SE DSG nonPP. It's extremely random when it comes on. And will usually reset itself with a quick engine restart. I plugged in my VCDS cable and got codes for an overboost situation. I know this can be common with some MK7's but I wanted to see if anyone ran into this issue themselves and how they resolved it. The light only comes on after a cold start, but under any load. If the oil is up to a readable temp it wont trigger. And it's even random if the cold start triggers the EPC light. I have some mods, but I don't think they would cause the light, especially since the first time it happened was before the mods. Right now its just a Turbo Inlet Pipe, Turbo Muffler Delete, and K&N filter. Again nothing crazy that should cause an overboost any more than the stock parts. The vehicle is still under a CPO warranty, I'd probably have to switch the stock parts back on before bringing it in. But I wanted to see if there are any DIY fixes for the stuck wastegate actuator. Also VCDS log below

P00AF 00 [104] - Stuck
Intermittent - Confirmed - Tested Since Memory Clear
Freeze Frame:
Fault Frequency: 4
Mileage: 57802 km
Date: 2020.02.08
Time: 11:50:57
Engine speed: 2158.75 /min
Normed load value: 40.8 %
Vehicle speed: 30 km/h
Coolant temperature: 50 °C
Intake air temperature: 15 °C
Ambient air pressure: 1010 mbar
Voltage terminal 30: 13.925 V
Status of charge air pressure control valve basic setting-LV_BPA_AD_REQ[0]: 00000000
Charge air pressure control valve uncond voltage sensor: 2.5830 V
Charge air pressure control valve position: actual value: 35.31 %
Charge air pressure control valve activation pulse duty factor: 83.12 %
Charge air pressure control valve voltage: position closed: 3.6426 V

·
Registered
238 Posts
Hi All,

I've had an intermittent EPC light get thrown a couple times over the last few months, 2016 GTI SE DSG nonPP. It's extremely random when it comes on. And will usually reset itself with a quick engine restart. I plugged in my VCDS cable and got codes for an overboost situation. I know this can be common with some MK7's but I wanted to see if anyone ran into this issue themselves and how they resolved it. The light only comes on after a cold start, but under any load. If the oil is up to a readable temp it wont trigger. And it's even random if the cold start triggers the EPC light. I have some mods, but I don't think they would cause the light, especially since the first time it happened was before the mods. Right now its just a Turbo Inlet Pipe, Turbo Muffler Delete, and K&N filter. Again nothing crazy that should cause an overboost any more than the stock parts. The vehicle is still under a CPO warranty, I'd probably have to switch the stock parts back on before bringing it in. But I wanted to see if there are any DIY fixes for the stuck wastegate actuator. Also VCDS log below

P00AF 00 [104] - Stuck
Intermittent - Confirmed - Tested Since Memory Clear
Freeze Frame:
Fault Frequency: 4
Mileage: 57802 km
Date: 2020.02.08
Time: 11:50:57
Engine speed: 2158.75 /min
Normed load value: 40.8 %
Vehicle speed: 30 km/h
Coolant temperature: 50 °C
Intake air temperature: 15 °C
Ambient air pressure: 1010 mbar
Voltage terminal 30: 13.925 V
Charge air pressure control valve uncond voltage sensor: 2.5830 V
Charge air pressure control valve position: actual value: 35.31 %
Charge air pressure control valve activation pulse duty factor: 83.12 %
Charge air pressure control valve voltage: position closed: 3.6426 V
I get this problem too. You can try lubing the wastegate actuator shaft, otherwise replace the wastegate actuator.

301 - 320 of 390 Posts