VW Vortex - Volkswagen Forum banner

341 - 360 of 390 Posts

·
Registered
237 Posts
I have posted this in a few EPC related threads....

FYI: I just ran into the EPC light / waste gate actuator failure on my 2016 NA MK7 GTI @62K Miles. After reading up on it I was pretty bummed that I was looking at a turbo replacement outside of my 5yr/60k power train warranty. So, I spent some time on a Saturday trying to free up the actuator, re-adjust and run the adaption. Looked like I had it all set in my garage. All tests were running well. Then I took it for a drive and in about 15mins it stuck again.

I was all set to bite the bullet and do the turbo replacement myself, still bummed at the cost of the parts, not to mention the time. Then I decided to call the dealer, just to see if there was a TSB on it. He told me that the turbo was covered by a 15yr/150K extended warranty for PZEV built cars. It also seems to make a difference based on where the car is registered. So, before you get bummed, call the dealer and check, I am glad I did as mine fit the criteria.

My service history on this car...

62K - Turbo replacement
~40K - Water pump and cleaning carbon build-up
7K - Replaced whole car (Lemonade out of a lemon)

And a few oil changes of course.
Do you happen to have the tsb number or pdf document?

·
Registered
25 Posts
Do you happen to have the tsb number or pdf document?
Not yet. I didn't want to rock the boat yet. I will be picking the car up on Monday and will ask for the info regarding the warranty. I did a bunch of searches before and after calling and come up dry. Felt like I won the lottery when he told me. The fact that he asked where the car was registered seems interesting and that it must be a PZEV build. I am guessing that defines the turbo and waste gate differently and they get wrapped up in the emissions bucket. I have a 2015 TDI Wagen that also has a similar warranty, but that is due to the emissions scandal stuff.

Anyway, I will let you know how it goes and what info I can dig up.

·
Registered
25 Posts
Did a bit more research and it boils down to what has been discussed in another thread regarding PZEV warranty. I wouldn't have thought to look for that specifically as in my head I wouldn't expect that the turbo would normally fall into that category nor was I really thinking my GTI was a PZEV car. I suppose because the waste gate is essential to the operation of the system to achieve PZEV status and it is not a separate part for VW, the full turbo assembly is replaced under the PZEV warranty (check your state and VW build for compliance).

Here is link to the previous thread VWVortex thread...
https://forums.vwvortex.com/showthread.php?8894561-Questions-on-PZEV-warranty

Link to the Cali site regarding PZEV program (the Cali program is typically the baseline that other states adopt)...
https://ww2.arb.ca.gov/resources/fact-sheets/california-vehicle-and-emissions-warranty-periods

New York language...
ftp://ftp.dec.ny.gov/dar/library/ris218.pdf

Sorry, if I am not aware, but is there a forum/thread dedicated to warranty? I think it would be helpful, as there are always lots of questions regarding what is covered and what isn't, keep it scoped to VW and gov mandated warranties only.

Hopefully this will help some folks with the EPC issue that have a PZEV car and are in a state which complies. Otherwise some folks may want to move temporarily to save some $ :)

·
Registered
25 Posts
Did a bit more research and it boils down to what has been discussed in another thread regarding PZEV warranty. I wouldn't have thought to look for that specifically as in my head I wouldn't expect that the turbo would normally fall into that category nor was I really thinking my GTI was a PZEV car. I suppose because the waste gate is essential to the operation of the system to achieve PZEV status and it is not a separate part for VW, the full turbo assembly is replaced under the PZEV warranty (check your state and VW build for compliance).

Link to the Cali site regarding PZEV program (the Cali program is typically the baseline that other states adopt)...
https://ww2.arb.ca.gov/resources/fact-sheets/california-vehicle-and-emissions-warranty-periods

New York language...

Sorry, if I am not aware, but is there a forum/thread dedicated to warranty? I think it would be helpful, as there are always lots of questions regarding what is covered and what isn't, keep it scoped to VW and gov mandated warranties only.

Hopefully this will help some folks with the EPC issue that have a PZEV car and are in a state which complies. Otherwise some folks may want to move temporarily to save some $ :)

·
Registered
237 Posts

New York language...

Thanks for info and bringing this up. I rarely read through the entire booklet of emission warranty. My car is registered in NYS and it’s also a PZEV vehicle so it falls under the 15yrs/150k emission warranty.

·
Registered
25 Posts
Thanks for info and bringing this up. I rarely read through the entire booklet of emission warranty. My car is registered in NYS and it’s also a PZEV vehicle so it falls under the 15yrs/150k emission warranty.

One additional note. You still may want to verify your car is a PZEV build (New York likely is). I haven't read through all of the details, but sometimes a manufacturer may only build a certain number of car to meet a government mandated requirement. I didn't deep enough to wording as I already knew from the call to the dealer that my car was included. Just saying you may want to check just to be sure you have this card in your hand. "Trust but verify" :)

·
Registered
3 Posts
...I also have a mk7 PZEV GTI...in Cali. Im running a JB4 and plan on getting the catted down pipe soon. Im only at 30k miles, still under CPO warranty, and have yet to experience EPC code...but if I do, I want to ensure the dealer has no excuse no to honor that federally mandated warranty..

·
Registered
3 Posts
I have posted this in a few EPC related threads....

FYI: I just ran into the EPC light / waste gate actuator failure on my 2016 NA MK7 GTI @62K Miles. After reading up on it I was pretty bummed that I was looking at a turbo replacement outside of my 5yr/60k power train warranty. So, I spent some time on a Saturday trying to free up the actuator, re-adjust and run the adaption. Looked like I had it all set in my garage. All tests were running well. Then I took it for a drive and in about 15mins it stuck again.

I was all set to bite the bullet and do the turbo replacement myself, still bummed at the cost of the parts, not to mention the time. Then I decided to call the dealer, just to see if there was a TSB on it. He told me that the turbo was covered by a 15yr/150K extended warranty for PZEV built cars. It also seems to make a difference based on where the car is registered. So, before you get bummed, call the dealer and check, I am glad I did as mine fit the criteria.

My service history on this car...

62K - Turbo replacement
~40K - Water pump and cleaning carbon build-up
7K - Replaced whole car (Lemonade out of a lemon)

And a few oil changes of course.
Wow..major stuff. I'm assuming all services, to include the water pump/ carbon clean, were done at the dealership??

·
Registered
67 Posts
EPC light on TSI. Upgrade to is20?

Hello everyone

So my 2015 1.8TSI has started to do the unfamous EPC light/wastegate code thing on me and I have a few questions that I'd love to get answers.

1: Is changing the turbo really the only fix?

2: If I go is20, what else do I need to change? I know I'll need a new programing but what about hardware? Do I NEED a new downpipe or is the stock one compatible?

3: personnal experience of upgrading to a is20? pros? cons?

Thanks you for your help and answers!

·
Registered
25 Posts
Wow..major stuff. I'm assuming all services, to include the water pump/ carbon clean, were done at the dealership??

All was done under warranty, except for the carbon cleaning. I had them go ahead and do it when they had the car apart for the water pump (reduced the labor cost).

As for the car replacement, I had originally bought a 15 S with PP and lighting. At 7k it started leaking oil between trans and engine. At first I thought I had a bad rear main seal and so did VW. They replaced it and it was still leaking. Turns out it was an out of spec main bearing. Remedy was to replace the engine. I wasn't happy as it was a new car. While I was working out extending my warranty with VW corporate the dealer was trying to fix the car. First engine was lost in shipping, that's what they told me. After getting the second they swapped it, on my way to pick it up they called me to say there was a knocking noise (later docs indicate something was dropped into the intake, ended up as loose metal in the cylinder). I had enough at that point, they had three attempts to fix and more that 30 days which is the NY lemon law. So, I got to order a new one which would take four months to get the build I wanted. I was able to drive my original with the third engine swap attempt. It ran great after that and made a nice beater :) Four months went by. Went to pick up the new car. It was built with the wrong transmission. So I ordered another and waited four more months. Drove the original just under 30K (I commute 150 miles a day). Then picked up the new one.

The new one had the water pump go at 40K and now the turbo at 62K. Why do I still love my VW? I have to say although there have been plenty of issues VW has been good about taking care of them.

Oh, and my wife's car during all of that was a 2010 TDI Wagon Manual. So that was bought back and I replaced it with a 15 TDI Wagon Manual.

·
Registered
LimePass
618 Posts
All was done under warranty, except for the carbon cleaning. I had them go ahead and do it when they had the car apart for the water pump (reduced the labor cost).

As for the car replacement, I had originally bought a 15 S with PP and lighting. At 7k it started leaking oil between trans and engine. At first I thought I had a bad rear main seal and so did VW. They replaced it and it was still leaking. Turns out it was an out of spec main bearing. Remedy was to replace the engine. I wasn't happy as it was a new car. While I was working out extending my warranty with VW corporate the dealer was trying to fix the car. First engine was lost in shipping, that's what they told me. After getting the second they swapped it, on my way to pick it up they called me to say there was a knocking noise (later docs indicate something was dropped into the intake, ended up as loose metal in the cylinder). I had enough at that point, they had three attempts to fix and more that 30 days which is the NY lemon law. So, I got to order a new one which would take four months to get the build I wanted. I was able to drive my original with the third engine swap attempt. It ran great after that and made a nice beater :) Four months went by. Went to pick up the new car. It was built with the wrong transmission. So I ordered another and waited four more months. Drove the original just under 30K (I commute 150 miles a day). Then picked up the new one.

The new one had the water pump go at 40K and now the turbo at 62K. Why do I still love my VW? I have to say although there have been plenty of issues VW has been good about taking care of them.

Oh, and my wife's car during all of that was a 2010 TDI Wagon Manual. So that was bought back and I replaced it with a 15 TDI Wagon Manual.

My goodness...

·
Registered
7 Posts
You may have just saved me a fortune. 2016 mk7, 61k miles. Have not driven it anywhere in a while due to COVID and WFH. Went to go into the office Friday, EPC light within 1/4 mile down the road. Pulled codes, only one of consequence was the 15202, stuck actuator module for the turbo. Confirmed that I have a PZEV GTI, in MA

I had called the dealer the other day and he mentioned they had a lot of EPC lights lately for turbo issues, and thought the warranty was 70k for the turbo. Either way, potentially good news. Thanks for posting all of this info. Wish me luck.

·
Registered
31 Posts
You may have just saved me a fortune. 2016 mk7, 61k miles. Have not driven it anywhere in a while due to COVID and WFH. Went to go into the office Friday, EPC light within 1/4 mile down the road. Pulled codes, only one of consequence was the 15202, stuck actuator module for the turbo. Confirmed that I have a PZEV GTI, in MA

I had called the dealer the other day and he mentioned they had a lot of EPC lights lately for turbo issues, and thought the warranty was 70k for the turbo. Either way, potentially good news. Thanks for posting all of this info. Wish me luck.
Good luck...my GTI had an intermittent EPC (on all the time now/ no boost), but the long period of little/ no use did in the actuator, I am guessing. I am in in NH and it is a PZEV, but am thinking VW won't honor warranty here. I am at 84k and stock.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Good luck...my GTI had an intermittent EPC (on all the time now/ no boost), but the long period of little/ no use did in the actuator, I am guessing. I am in in NH and it is a PZEV, but am thinking VW won't honor warranty here. I am at 84k and stock.
Have you had yours looked at? I have an appointment Friday, will report back. Internet seems to suggest that MA enforces the PZEV emissions system warranty, so I'm optimistic.
Are you driving yours regularly with the issue? Is there any risk driving it in limp mode?

·
Registered
67 Posts
Hey guys! I just wanted to say that I fixed my wastegate issue by just spraying a whole lot of lubricant(non-flamable) directly on the wastegate linkage and trying to make it moved by hand. I don't know the cycle yet but when you open your hood, the wastegate tries to do a couple of cycles (fully open and then close) to I tried to help it by hand and it wasn't moving a lot. After 2-3 times spraying a lot of lube and a complete night of sleep I tried to help it move again and it just uncloged completely and I really felt it open like 3 times as much as before. I then drove off and no more EPC light/wastegate actuator codes. It has been a couple of days now since. So for me at least the problem really look like it was just the wastegate linkage that got stuck. I have to say I was out of warranty so spending just 20$ on a can of lube instead of over 1500$CAD to change the turbo is a relief.

·
Registered
31 Posts
Have you had yours looked at? I have an appointment Friday, will report back. Internet seems to suggest that MA enforces the PZEV emissions system warranty, so I'm optimistic.
Are you driving yours regularly with the issue? Is there any risk driving it in limp mode?
I haven't taken it in yet but will soon on the off chance that it will be covered.

It has been driven less than 100 miles over the last 3 months and this has allowed the actuator to seize...the EPC light used to come and go if it wasn't driven for a day or two. My fault there. It doesn't seem to do it harm, but it's pretty slow....

·
Registered
130 Posts
EPC + Engine Light on Track Days

I have a 2015 GTI, APR Stage 1 wit airbox mods and a clubsport exhaust. I've been running a few Track Night America events and have had issues with the EPC or the EPC + Engine light coming on late in the event. I'm running at PIR and general this has happened in the 3rd session of the night. I'm usually running right up to redline, but not blowing past and on the front and back straights I'm usually maxing out at 110mph. Friday night, third session I was about 3 laps in, through turn 9 and running down the back straight, just passed 100mph not close to redline and both the EPC and engine light came on, but it didn't go into limp mode. Bailed on the session and went back to the paddock to shutdown/cool down. Restarted and the EPC light was off, but not the check engine. This has happened at my last two track nights and with another coming up in a couple weeks I'd like to get whatever the issue is sorted. Any thoughts? Tried search the forum, but couldn't find anything related to redline/high speed or trackdays.

341 - 360 of 390 Posts