VW Vortex - Volkswagen Forum banner

1 - 20 of 243 Posts

·
Registered
12,835 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Epic Craigslist Buy: 1989 Jetta Coupe (Now with 1.8t content)

Well, I don't know if it's epic or not, but I'm pretty stoked. Especially after spending months driving around to BFE and back looking for a decent MK2. Anyways, the car. It's a 1989 Jetta Coupe and it looks like it could be a Wolfsburg edition. It was German made so I think all those had the little Wolfsburg badges on them. 124k on the clock, auto trans and it runs like a dream. The body is so straight and clean you could perform open heart surgery on it. After looking at so many rusty hulks (yes, even in AZ) I couldn't believe my eyes when I saw this car. Not a spot of rust to be found. Even the rails are razor straight. A bit of clear coat peeling, but that is standard fare in AZ. I bought it from the 2nd owner who had only put about 7k on it. The 1st owner was an old man that took very meticulous care of it.

I have never seen a frame rail so clean and straight, just like it was brand new...:eek:

The guy was asking $1850 for it and I paid every penny of it without complaint. Probably the best Craigslist transaction I have ever had. I don't know how it is where you guys live, but here CL is filled with amateur car flippers who do nothing but sit at home all day and snatch up every sub 2k car they can. Then they drive it to a gas station, snap a couple of sh*tty cell phone pics and put it back up on CL for $3000. It's hard to compete with someone who spends 24/7 on CL but I lucked out as the guy I bought this from liked enthusiasts and wanted to sell it to one.:thumbup:

Plans? Well I have a full 1.8t swap sitting in my garage, but this thing runs so nice I almost hate to tear into it until something major breaks. However when it does, keep an eye out for a project thread. ;)

·
Registered
248 Posts
replace auto with manual tranny, add 16v front spoiler, a set of nice wheels of your choice, and you're done....

(i wish thats how this would end)

:wave::heart:
And I have 2 transmission sitting in my garage, the shifter and everything else for him to do it with I am thinking about scraping. if has not so far away.

Op good find, and I always thought that square badges was built in mexico and round ones where built in germany.

·
Registered
39,340 Posts
Op good find, and I always thought that square badges was built in mexico and round ones where built in germany.
Kinda incorrect.
The VIN will tell you where it was made. WVW = Wolfsburg, 1WV or 3VW = Mexico.
Your car is not a Wolfsburg Edition, those square badges were on just about every MK2 until 1990ish

·
Registered
51 Posts
I think all Jetta coupes were made in germany. IF the vin starts with WVW etc it's german, if it starts with 3VW it's mexican and I'm not sure about the rest.

·
Registered
12,835 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 · (Edited)
Kinda incorrect.
The VIN will tell you where it was made. WVW = Wolfsburg, 1WV or 3VW = Mexico.
Your car is not a Wolfsburg Edition, those square badges were on just about every MK2 until 1990ish
Yea, that is kind of what I figured. It's a WVW so definitely German made, not that it really matters. Also isn't 1VW a U.S.A. build?

Step one is going to be taking the nasty tint off.

replace auto with manual tranny, add 16v front spoiler, a set of nice wheels of your choice, and you're done....

(i wish thats how this would end)

:wave::heart:
Already have a 16v lip on the way and suspension / wheels should be soon. I'll swap it to manual when I do the 1.8t swap.

·
Registered
12,835 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Finally had a chance to get a few things done. I removed the tint and re-blacked the bumpers and trunklid. I used some Rustoleum Semi-Flat but I'm not too happy with out it turned out, I think I might try the SEM satin black and see if that goes on better. The Rustoleum stuff left too many shiny spots.

Picked up some ST coils from 1552. These are just re-branded KW V1s without the stainless steel housings. I live in AZ, so ~$750 for ST coils or 1K+ for V1s was an easy choice. No rust to worry about here.

As expected from this level of coilover, they are well built and ride very comfortably. You aren't going to "lay frame" with these like you would with Ultra Lows or bags, but they will get plenty low for most.

Managed to snag some legit, old school 80's tuner wheels from Craigslist. I almost gave up on CL because 99% of what you find is Rota / every imaginable brand of sh!tty multi lugs on the planet. However yesterday I stumbled on a set of Exip 15x7 wheels. Not super rare, but not super common either. This set was cast in 1987. These wheels fit like they were made for this car. The hub is the proper size and they fit just right. If I wanted to go really low I'd probably roll fenders, but overall the fit is nuts on. I can hardly believe my luck. :cool:

I took this while experimenting with my camera's fish eye setting, that's why the center of the wheel looks all big.

A couple night shots of the car. Probably should have waited for daylight, but I'm impatient.

I'll have some better day shots tomorrow. :thumbup:

·
Registered
4,716 Posts
:thumbup::beer:

·
Registered
2,190 Posts
Definitely epic and you indeed deserve to be stoked. Glad your efforts paid off big time!

Nice pics also.:thumbup::thumbup::wave::)

Like the colour.:p

1 - 20 of 243 Posts