VW Vortex - Volkswagen Forum banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
199 Posts
Re: euro headlights , any advantage ? (transporterD)

I saw the same ad, I doubt it is any "big" improvement in light output unless they are the HID ones which they cannot be because there are no ballasts in the photo. It appears as though it has three bulbs instead of the two for North America, so they are likely halogen in the HID housing units hence the third driving light bulb. North American wire harness may not be compatible, ask him what the low beam bulb wattage is 55W or is it greater? Is it the VW Philips HID unit (I'm not talking about the cheapy Xenon charged bulbs) if it is dramatically brighter. Other than that the housing, lense and reflector (minus the extra bulb) are the same as North America. Brighter, how?

·
Registered
3,413 Posts
Re: euro headlights , any advantage ? (fohveh)

Doesn't look worth it to me. Even after doing that, no one around the US would even notice unless you tld them directly. I would only get the Euro spec lights if they were true HID.
just my opinion though

·
Registered
5,750 Posts

The city light is the same feature that the Turbo S lights have.
They will emit a different kind of light than the North American lights because they have a different light pattern. See the projector beam (low beam/daytime running light)? It is completely round, the North American (DOT) headlights have a stripe across it -- to direct the light output.

·
Registered
399 Posts

If the beam pattern is truly europe, instead of u.s., you could see a difference at night. from what I remember when I was looking at changing lights on my truck, the right hand side isn't level with the left, it comes up higher...not as much as a high beam, but it is higher.
I thought I saw someone say though, once, that beetle headlights were the same for both us and europe

·
Registered
5,658 Posts

Real Euro-spec lights have a very different beam pattern compared to N.A. spec lights. N.A. lights have a hot spot in the middle of the beam and the Euro lights spread the light out evenly. The European beam pattern is at least 50% better than the N.A. one IMHO. I'm getting a NBC in the spring and I've actually been wondering if anyone has installed real e-code lights in their Beetle.
Also, are HIDs available from the factory in Europe? If so, I wonder how much they run....

·
Registered
199 Posts
Re: euro headlights , any advantage ? (Pelican18TQA4)

HID's are available for the VW's in Germany I don't know about the rest of Europe, Beetle, Golf whatever. They were going to be available here as well for the 2001 model year beetle than VW scrapped the idea for some reason. There is a part number in existence for them but they will have to be ordered from Germany at a retarded price, something equivalent to $1500.00 - $2000. My brother in Germany was going to get them for me, he sent me the parts list with all the part numbers then I noticed the price
. I was expected to pay 15% tax as well, I don't know why.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.