VW Vortex - Volkswagen Forum banner
1 - 20 of 40 Posts

·
Registered
6,954 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Thanks to the help of thread and Tim I was able to get the Euro tails working today (thanks guys!). You are high on my respected list.

I also installed the Euro cupholders, and was going to do a walkthrough DIY for others who would want to do it themselves. However, I forgot to start taking pictures until I had everything removed, and also realized I was half insane for doing this mod. Yeah, I'm happy with the result, but that's a heck of a lot of work just for stinkin' cupholders...
The good thing is I was back and forth doing VAG-COM stuff with the GLI and a friend's A4 quattro 2.0T (yummy). So, I didn't get too frustrated other than dropping a torx 20 bit down in the armrest thing when I was almost finished. After a few minutes of trying to locate it, I figured I would be much happier just leaving it and buying another bit, instead of taking an hour to take things apart in that section just to get it out.

So, if you're looking to get the Euro cupholders, here's some insight into what you're getting yourself into.

·
Registered
6,954 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Re: Euro Parts installed (dieselgirl)

Quote, originally posted by dieselgirl »
Oh holy crap....that just made me feel woozy with it all torn apart like that. I guess I will have to spring to pay someone to put my cup holders in when I get them. I would probably have a full blown panic attack if I tried to do that to my car - or if I even saw my car like that.

Yeah, it's a pretty big ordeal for cupholders. The MKIV was far easier to remove the center console. There are clips between the two (upper and lower) side trim pieces (below the "handles") that have a really strange way that you need to get them separated.
I only broke 2 clips and had 1 screw leftover when I was done. 1 clip wasn't completely broken and I was able to epoxy it back together. I know where the lonely screw goes but the little metal clip that it's supposed to screw into somehow came off, and it's not an important screw, so... Oh well.
Hopefully, you have a really good friend who will do this for you, as labor would be crazy high through a shop. I'd say a minimum of 2 hours by someone who knows what they're doing and has taken apart a MKV console before.

Modified by VWYankee at 4:19 PM 12-10-2005

·
Registered
178 Posts
wow, I just bought 2 cupholders on fri., one for my wifes 2005.5 2.5, and one for my 06 GLI. after I'm done I should be an expert on taking it apart and putting it back together. what order does the components have to be removed?

·
Registered
6,954 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Re: (empGLI)

Quote, originally posted by empGLI »
wow, I just bought 2 cupholders on fri., one for my wifes 2005.5 2.5, and one for my 06 GLI. after I'm done I should be an expert on taking it apart and putting it back together. what order does the components have to be removed?

Well I started following the instructions that Dan from Hillside posted, but part of it is different as it's going by a Euro Golf which doesn't have the armrest, and a few screws were in different places.
There's a tool listed at the begining of those instructions that would likely be very handy and prevent one from breaking clips (like I did).
As for order, I removed the armrest, then undid the screws on the armrest skeleton (it will make sense when you work on it), then the shift boot (easies part), then the change cubby, then the trim on the inner trim (on the outside) of the "handles", then a lot of screws had to be taken out, and then removing the side trim pieces. You're "there" when you can pull the armrest skeleton over the e-brake and out. and your side trims are off with no screws left. There as to be around 30 screws (all torx20)... I may be exagerating a little, but there are a lot.
Even when you have all that removed you can't completely remove the center console, but can tilt it up enough to take out the two screws that hold the cupholder in (one on each side), then slide it out.
Quote, originally posted by svander »
Well, that settled that.
I'm not doing the cupholder mod.

I'm still debating whether I will do it or not with the GTI. Probably, as I'm crazy enough...

Quote, originally posted by edisonr »
Do you have final pictures of the goodies?

I'll get a picture in the daylight, as it was dark by the time I was finished and I was more into gazing into the LED tails with amber signals.

Modified by VWYankee at 4:54 PM 12-10-2005

·
Registered
4,832 Posts
Re: Euro Parts installed (VWYankee)

yankee you so crazeee. hell, you're high on MY respected list just cause you're not afraid to tear that stuff up. I mean, of course, you're not TEARING anything up, but you know.

·
Registered
6,954 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Re: Euro Parts installed (SLY MK5)

Quote, originally posted by SLY MK5 »
yankee you so crazeee. hell, you're high on MY respected list just cause you're not afraid to tear that stuff up. I mean, of course, you're not TEARING anything up, but you know.

Well, I can say for sure, I wouldn't have attempted many of the mods that I've done if it hadn't been for totaling a '91 Coupe quattro, then buying it back to use it's transmission on another Coupe quattro I bought where the tranny died two weeks after buying it. I literally pulled every salvagable part out of the totaled Coupe, and learned quite a bit on how VAG cars are put together. They just love torx20 screws and 10mm bolts!!

·
Registered
6,954 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Re: (IchBinDarren)

Quote, originally posted by IchBinDarren »
Wow what a pain, could you upload pics of the finished product?

Quote, originally posted by VWYankee »
I'll get a picture in the daylight, as it was dark by the time I was finished and I was more into gazing into the LED tails with amber signals.

Quote, originally posted by curraheevw »
x2
Holy crap, that's a ton of work! I'd never get it back together properly.

It was too bad, but definitely more on the difficult side compared to a MKIV. The two side trim pieces on each side, that would be near your knees are pretty funky to get back properly, and the armrest skeleton is just itching to get some of the skin off your fingers when you try to put it back in over the e-brake (it got some of mine).
I'll still do it again, but just prepare myself that it's more than a quick mod, and give myself plenty of time to work in it.

·
Registered
6,954 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Re: (Sincity)

Quote, originally posted by Sincity »
Your GLI has a grey interior?

No, it's just the lighting.
Yeah, it's gray. Funny thing is we were told we were getting Anthracite when we got it transferred from another dealer. Then when I went to sign the papers I saw it was gray. I had to make a decision because it was a surprise for my wife and she liked the Anthracite (which she had on her Passat at the time). She also had a 2000 Jetta TDI with gray leather, so I figured she'd be fine with it. I like the contrast it gives the interior.
Here are the finished pics.

·
Registered
2,438 Posts
Re: (VWYankee)

Quote, originally posted by VWYankee »

That looks really nice. I'd love to have one but I don't know if I want to go through the headache of putting it in. I'd have to have plenty of beer handy. http://****************.com/smile/emthup.gif

·
Registered
42,789 Posts
Looks great! I'm just not sure it would be worth it to me. It would probably never be closed, anyway, as that's the catch-all for my change, keys, cellphones, etc. I've found that "dummy ashtray" under the center stack to be quite useless, really.

·
Registered
2,438 Posts
Re: (BRM10984)

Quote, originally posted by BRM10984 »
I've found that "dummy ashtray" under the center stack to be quite useless, really.

I know... When the shifter is in park it's hard to get your hand around it to get anything in or out of it.

1 - 20 of 40 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.