VW Vortex - Volkswagen Forum banner

1 - 20 of 30 Posts

·
Registered
101 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So i purchased a euro switch with the auto light sensor from AliExpress and had a question.

So my base model did not have auto lights before but with this sensor it does, only issue is when i turn off the car, i get a warning saying the DRLs are still on (even though they turn off automatically after x-seconds).

Is there anyway to disable this using OBDEleven?

Also sidenote: the switch doesnt sit properly, its kind of on an angle, any better alternatives while still having the auto switch (with front and rear fog).

·
Registered
101 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
If the 0 (off) position is at the 12:00 position, it is a Mk7 switch. If the 0 (off) position is at the 10-11:00 position, it is for a mk5/6 and you must replace your headlight switch with the correct one.
Ok, so I'm planning on purchasing: 5G0 941 431 BD, while still using the auto sensor that came with this cheap Chinese one, I'm assuming it will still work with the OEM switch?

·
Registered
101 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
So I seem to be experiencing another issue. My auto light sensor works fine (turns on and off lights fine), however, for some reason my lights turn on randomly. I leave my car unlocked in a garage at night, and for some reason the lights seem to turn on for no reason. Had my dad come home, and tell me the lights were on. Car was still unlocked, i hadnt touched the keys/car in the last hour-ish.

Any ideas at all??

·
Registered
53,305 Posts
So I seem to be experiencing another issue. My auto light sensor works fine (turns on and off lights fine), however, for some reason my lights turn on randomly. I leave my car unlocked in a garage at night, and for some reason the lights seem to turn on for no reason. Had my dad come home, and tell me the lights were on. Car was still unlocked, i hadnt touched the keys/car in the last hour-ish.

Any ideas at all??
Are you completely turning the vehicle off?

·
Registered
101 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
reviving this thread.

My Chinese auto sensor seems to turn on the lights randomly when its dark whether the cars locked or unlocked. Anyone have any ideas??

·
Registered
1,325 Posts
Doesn’t like the sensor from the other switch maybe? Just guessing.

·
Registered
1,325 Posts
‘Ok, so I'm planning on purchasing: 5G0 941 431 BD, while still using the auto sensor that came with this cheap Chinese one, I'm assuming it will still work with the OEM switch?’

I inferred from this that you swapped the sensor from one switch to the other.

·
Registered
101 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
‘Ok, so I'm planning on purchasing: 5G0 941 431 BD, while still using the auto sensor that came with this cheap Chinese one, I'm assuming it will still work with the OEM switch?’

I inferred from this that you swapped the sensor from one switch to the other.
Oh yeah, but the issue persisted with both switches, not sure if the sensor is faulty, or if the chinese sensors all work the same way

·
Registered
4 Posts

Any ideas at all??
Did you ever find a solution/cause to this? Experiencing the same on my MK7 GTI with auto switch. Will randomly look outside during the day and notice the lights are on while the car has been off and locked.

·
Registered
1,835 Posts
Did you ever find a solution/cause to this? Experiencing the same on my MK7 GTI with auto switch. Will randomly look outside during the day and notice the lights are on while the car has been off and locked.
hmmm........ not sure and I'm just guessing, but are you sure that the problem is related to the auto-switch/light-sensor? Do you have coming/leaving home active? Maybe the lights are being triggered by an inadvertent pressing of the key-fob button - perhaps?

Don

·
Registered
4 Posts
hmmm........ not sure and I'm just guessing, but are you sure that the problem is related to the auto-switch/light-sensor? Do you have coming/leaving home active? Maybe the lights are being triggered by an inadvertent pressing of the key-fob button - perhaps?

Don
Hi Don,

Not sure that it is related to the auto-switch/light-sensor. Here is what I do know:
1) Coming/leaving home is enabled and set to auto.
2) Lights were not triggered by inadvertent press of key fob button. Considered this at first, but then noticed it would happen when keys were hanging by door and haven't been touched at all. Guess I got lucky and happened to look out the window just in time to see the lights on for a minute.
3) Have only seen this happening when I leave switch on "auto" while car is off.

A couple of possible solutions I would like to look into is:
1) Bad key fob randomly sending "lock" signal to car? Doubt this one, but you never know.
2) Switch activating once it gets dark out. This shouldn't be happening when vehicle is off, but worth a test.

·
Registered
1,835 Posts
Hi Don,

Not sure that it is related to the auto-switch/light-sensor. Here is what I do know:
1) Coming/leaving home is enabled and set to auto.
2) Lights were not triggered by inadvertent press of key fob button. Considered this at first, but then noticed it would happen when keys were hanging by door and haven't been touched at all. Guess I got lucky and happened to look out the window just in time to see the lights on for a minute.
3) Have only seen this happening when I leave switch on "auto" while car is off.

A couple of possible solutions I would like to look into is:
1) Bad key fob randomly sending "lock" signal to car? Doubt this one, but you never know.
2) Switch activating once it gets dark out. This shouldn't be happening when vehicle is off, but worth a test.
cfillmann: Of course, intermittent faults are by definition the most difficult to diagnose - and anything is possible. But logic tells us that when the ignition is turned-off and there is no elecrtical activity for a period of time, the control modules on the car turn-off and the CAN network goes to sleep. The only part of the car that is still active in this state is the remote open facility via the key fob.
Perhaps an easy try is to put your key fobs (both of them) inside a tin box whenever they are inside your house (this should shield the car from any stray RF signal), Does the event happen?

Don

·
Registered
4 Posts
cfillmann: Of course, intermittent faults are by definition the most difficult to diagnose - and anything is possible. But logic tells us that when the ignition is turned-off and there is no elecrtical activity for a period of time, the control modules on the car turn-off and the CAN network goes to sleep. The only part of the car that is still active in this state is the remote open facility via the key fob.
Perhaps an easy try is to put your key fobs (both of them) inside a tin box whenever they are inside your house (this should shield the car from any stray RF signal), Does the event happen?

Don
Don,

Makes sense. Thank you so much for the recommendation. I will give that a shot.

Carlos

1 - 20 of 30 Posts