VW Vortex - Volkswagen Forum banner
1 - 20 of 73 Posts

·
Registered
5,522 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Big thanks to Nik at CTS Turbo for informing me about Maestro for the FSI platform. I wasn't even considering it for my Golf R built. The CTS Turbo Golf R shop car is running great on Maestro. From stock to tuned their car dynoed an increase of 45awhp which is substantial! I dove into this with the mind set of NOT gaining 45awhp just because as you all should know every car is different. Plus living in Washington State premium fuel is a ridiculously low 92 octane. In Canada you can get 94.

Here is a lil DIY from beginning to flashing your first base file right from the comfort of your own home. In the near future I'll post up some logs to show you how you can make changes in the mapping for like meth or whatever your doing.

-First, call up Clay or Nik from CTS Turbo for a Maestro cable. Once you get your cable you need to email [email protected] to get a login and password so you can log into Eurodyne's website and download the 4 programs they have available.

-Once they send you the log in info you click the link they send you to verify your email address. It will bring you eurodyne.ca so you can enter your info like phone number address and you can change your password at this point.

-you'll need to navigate to the protected page where the programs are for download and download everything available.

-install all 4 downloads and once done open Eurodyne Flash. You need to do a "first read" and send the read file to [email protected]. They will take your first read file, do their thing and send you your base file ready to rock. Here is the Flash program with the mouse on the Read button ;):

-after the first read it will automatically save the file in C:Eurodyne. Open your email attach the read file and your set. See the read file here, pretend my base file isn't there :p:

-when support sends you your base file open a new folder and label it "base file" so you don't delete it by mistake. You need to keep a copy of your base file for safe keeping ;). Now your ready to flash the base file so open the Flash program. Click Flash:

-as the flash program does its thing you'll see this:

-when it says "success" in the Current Task and Progress window your all done!

I'll post up pics in the morning after I edit my personnel info off the screen shots :)

EDIT: i got more pics coming, running outta time i gotta get to work, night shift this week:banghead:

·
Registered
5,522 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 · (Edited)
sorry it took so long but here are the maps.

open to select your file
http://s653.photobucket.com/albums/uu260/velocity196/?action=view&current=1opentopickyourbasemap.jpg

selecting my base file

these are all the maps available

from [email protected] this is the timing map to modify for meth. at first i thought it was the minimum timing map but no, its this one. ill start tweaking this shortly :thumbup:

this is your full load fuel map. mine is pretty damn rich! ive got a new map that i targeted 11.6 instead of 11.4. not a huge difference but small moves ;)

EDIT: more added :)

these 2 HPFP maps i am 100% clueless on. when the time comes ill email support for assistace on this map and piston area.

rail pressure is in MPa.
1MPa = 145.037738 PSI
looks like a total of 1595PSI rail pressure stock

MAF stuff

not so sure on these boost maps either. need more info. it looks as if n75 is already near 100% duty but maybe in wrong.

this is pretty bad a$$!! wish there was more to modify. someday ill try and kill the steering sensor to kill ESP and ill try and kill the fault code :p. im heading up to Great Canadian VW Car Show soon and im hoping to do a full VAG COM scan of a Canadian friends car. maybe ill find a code that is different in the US modules that will enable no ESP.

from here on im 100% clueless! honestly i didnt even know the cam was adjustable and i know zip about the flapper setup except i wanna get rid of it LOL! i think a flapper in the intake is about as useful as a vibrater simulating engine noise. my 2 cents anyways.

EDIT: more added :)

·
Registered
1,620 Posts
As far as I know, I'm still the only Golf R in the US running Eurodyne Maestro 7. I know mine is the second Golf R in North America to get tuned with it, literally the day after the CTS Turbo R. My car's been dyno tuned with it and is currently making about the same power as an APR stage 2 but at 21.5 psi instead of 27 psi and the power delivery is much smoother.

Dyno of the Maestro 7 before and and after fine tuning.

Final vs Initial by Toe_Ball, on Flickr

I should point out that this was on a Mustang, and it's actually pessimistic even for that. I've been debating on getting a standalone boost management box and raising the boost to see how much power I can find. I'm pretty sure there are a good 50 hp left in the stock K04 though.

Here are final tune numbers on my car and an APR 1+ tuned R on the same dyno but different days.

Final vs APR by Toe_Ball, on Flickr

·
Registered
909 Posts
There must be a whole lot of timing in that tune. Any logs of timing advance?

·
Registered
91 Posts
I love the idea of this. You get to own the flashing tools and can change and tweak settings in the future. Plus, I'm at least 70 miles from any tuner.

The base file that they provide, are you seeing these results going straight from stock? Or are there other modifications that were made to the car?

·
Registered
5,522 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
As far as I know, I'm still the only Golf R in the US running Eurodyne Maestro 7.
Seeing as how I'm posting a DIY for those that haven't used Maestro on the FSI platform and I'm showing pics or soon to be showing pics of the procedures and I live in Washington state I suppose your no longer the only one ;)

Your most likely right those spikes are almost always from knock retarding timing and bring it back in.

·
Registered
1,997 Posts
Actually. There are a couple of us in Texas (Tlud, and others :p )running this software. I will be running it soon. I am in discussions with them about my WM setup. I love APR, but since they don't do custom WM software solutions, they will be loosing my business.

·
Registered
5,522 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Actually. There are a couple of us in Texas (Tlud, and others :p )running this software. I will be running it soon. I am in discussions with them about my WM setup. I love APR, but since they don't do custom WM software solutions, they will be loosing my business.
You are gunna love this product then. I I just finished added spacers and power wire for my meth kit. I'll.do some logs tonight on my way to work and get some graphs together for you to see how to work the timing map.

·
Registered
75 Posts
Actually. There are a couple of us in Texas (Tlud, and others :p )running this software...
Really? I'm a little surprised he hasn't updated his build thread to reflect this. I'd love to hear his impression... and the impression of anyone else using Maestro after having had a APR/REVO/GIAC/etc tune.

·
Registered
1,921 Posts
I really like the idea of a tune tailored to your car, a concept not very common in the VW world. I look forward to hearing more about the results and what it took getting there.

·
Registered
541 Posts
might be a stupid question, but when you read and write your ECU for the initial flash, does your car have to be running or can you just turn the ignition on?

·
Registered
2,572 Posts
might be a stupid question, but when you read and write your ECU for the initial flash, does your car have to be running or can you just turn the ignition on?
typically you just want your ignition on. make sure you have a good charge on your battery though.

·
Registered
909 Posts
typically you just want your ignition on. make sure you have a good charge on your battery though.
When I was doing Qloader flashes on our touaregs I would always add a trickle charger. But they have TWO ecu's to flash!

·
Registered
1,997 Posts
Can you return to the stock tune with the Maestro 7?
The tune is based off of the stock software, the software alters the stock maps. So, in theory, just reload the original file.

·
Registered
1,620 Posts
Actually, we didn't mess with timing relative to the Maestro 7 base file. we did lean the car out about two tenths after getting rid of that boost spike. The way APR does their high boost is they tweak the N75 duty cycle because the actual ECU can't request more than 21.5 psi. The problem with doing it with the N75 is that the ECU can't compensate for conditions and it won't do as good of a job building boost from part way into a pull. Basically it looks good on the dyno but isn't really usable in real life. Incidentally, the fist dyno chart, the dashed lines are the base Eurodyne 2+ equivalent tune.

Seeing as how I'm posting a DIY for those that haven't used Maestro on the FSI platform and I'm showing pics or soon to be showing pics of the procedures and I live in Washington state I suppose your no longer the only one ;)
Fair enough. I really need to pay more attention.

·
Registered
1,921 Posts
Actually, we didn't mess with timing relative to the Maestro 7 base file. we did lean the car out about two tenths after getting rid of that boost spike. The way APR does their high boost is they tweak the N75 duty cycle because the actual ECU can't request more than 21.5 psi. The problem with doing it with the N75 is that the ECU can't compensate for conditions and it won't do as good of a job building boost from part way into a pull. Basically it looks good on the dyno but isn't really usable in real life. Incidentally, the fist dyno chart, the dashed lines are the base Eurodyne 2+ equivalent tune.
Leaning out a bit doesn't net you the same power as the exact same car running 5.5lbs more boost. Was this just a guess on your part or was there actually a stg2 APR tuned car there for reference?

I've heard you comment on the MAP issue in the past but I've yet to hear what any of the big 3 have to say about that. Anyone hear APR, Revo or GIAC chime in on this? Not saying you are wrong because frankly I know nothing about tuning VWs but I find it odd that those three companies wouldn't address that, especially GIAC with their Extreme tune which requires a 3 inch intake and a different fuel pressure regulator.

1 - 20 of 73 Posts