VW Vortex - Volkswagen Forum banner

1 - 20 of 92 Posts

·
Registered
7,719 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
The new SoWo.

[video]https://www.facebook.com/southern.worthersee/videos/10154312166877316/[/video]

·
Registered
3,751 Posts
I am so ****ing excited for this. I go to school down there and the city will be crazy for sowo. It's such a great place to walk around at night and such a great setting for the cars

·
Registered
1,881 Posts

·
Registered
9,620 Posts
hmm this might be tempting to go to, especially if there is a track day much like fastivus on the west coast, and I should be having a snell sa helmet by then.

·
Registered
4,757 Posts
I'll pass.
Ah, c'mon

Its going to be...interesting.

First of all, cool city thats never hosted a car event more than 750 cars (PCA took over Forsyth park in '11, NOPI just recently had an event but I didnt care to go so I can't comment on how it went(who goes to that anymore?))

There has to be a push for the use of the water ferry and foot traffic over driving everywhere. Downtown is congested on the weekend by locals and tourists already, so adding XXXX cars to the area is going to shut it down. Add a few broken oil pans to the mix and :eek::eek: Being able to keep cars over on the island while say everyone takes the ferry back and walks to their hotels in the downtown area would dramatically increase the flow of traffic. With that being said, bring your bicycle very friendly biking city, especially at night. What better way to see the cool buildings filled with ghosts

The venue area (originally a purpose built indy lights race track, disapproved by the downtown homeowners after the first race and then abandoned)

HSR Historics Race. I rode in the PTG e36 with Brian Redman 3 years ago, you can ride along with a vast array of cars, highly recommend coming to this event at the end of October.

Last word of advice, Zunzis take out

·
Registered
7,050 Posts
Savannah can be a rough place. It's not a FEMA disaster area like New Orleans, but it's not Helen GA either. It's a sea port town more like New York or Boston. The suburban hipsters and small town kids need to keep their wits about them and use a little common sense.

Stay away from the west end of Bay St. There is a very large public housing development across Montgomery St, called Yamacraw. When I lived in Savannah (early 80's) locals called it Little Vietnam, or just Nam. You could hear gunplay from the place at night. Pizza delivery and taxis wouldn't go in there. Local media acts like the place is cleaned up now but I wouldn't trust it.

·
Registered
556 Posts
First of all, cool city thats never hosted a car event more than 750 cars (PCA took over Forsyth park in '11, NOPI just recently had an event but I didnt care to go so I can't comment on how it went(who goes to that anymore?))

There has to be a push for the use of the water ferry and foot traffic over driving everywhere. Downtown is congested on the weekend by locals and tourists already, so adding XXXX cars to the area is going to shut it down. Add a few broken oil pans to the mix and :eek::eek: Being able to keep cars over on the island while say everyone takes the ferry back and walks to their hotels in the downtown area would dramatically increase the flow of traffic. With that being said, bring your bicycle very friendly biking city, especially at night. What better way to see the cool buildings filled with ghosts
who wants to go to a car show to walk around, bike, and take a ferry? lol

·
Registered
3,751 Posts
You're going to be sorely disappointed if you think you can drive around savannah like Helen. There's stop lights every block and there's going to be a few thousand tourists that had no idea there was anything going on that weekend besides their family vacation. People don't understand how traffic works there, they don't realize that when you take a left turn and see the red light in front of you, that it's just a yield because your light was green. On top of that, there will be tons of locals on their bikes who aren't scared to weave through traffic.

Savannah can be a rough place. It's not a FEMA disaster area like New Orleans, but it's not Helen GA either. It's a sea port town more like New York or Boston. The suburban hipsters and small town kids need to keep their wits about them and use a little common sense.

Stay away from the west end of Bay St. There is a very large public housing development across Montgomery St, called Yamacraw. When I lived in Savannah (early 80's) locals called it Little Vietnam, or just Nam. You could hear gunplay from the place at night. Pizza delivery and taxis wouldn't go in there. Local media acts like the place is cleaned up now but I wouldn't trust it.
General rule of thumb is to stay east of Martin Luther King. There's little pockets of bad area all around the town though, so if you're walking around at night, just be aware. For the most part, as long as you stay in town it's pretty safe though. There's tons of cops all over the place which is going to disappoint a bunch of young guys that think they can treat this like they treated Helen this year.

Edit: I noticed a few people mentioned that savannah never hosted anything like this, and while it's true that they haven't done anything car related, this should be nothing compared to the st Patrick's day there every year, the only difference is that it'll be a bunch of modified cars.

One other thing: the roads in savannah are absolute **** compared to Helen

·
Registered
4,757 Posts
Trying to make useful suggestions here so when I have to 1. go to work 2. go to a wedding that I'm in that weekend 3. do my normal sunday activities that I'm not following a bunch of lost cars doing 2 mph around town weaving over cobblestone roads.

Still a bad area over there. Half of those section 8 buildings are boarded up now, not making it any better. SCAD and the new bus station in between Yamacraw and Oglethorpe have helped out that area so I dont think it's quite like it was back then, I've heard quite the bit of stories. I frequently park adjacent to the area to go out at night. (I carry though, I'm an aware Savannahian) Not so much gun violence there now-a-days. Two nights ago, three people were shot in city market around 0300; young african americans I believe. Anyways...
I lived in a corridor of Waters close to Daffin Park and we have an area of section 8/investor homes that we call the OK Corral. I was putting up christmas lights last year and found a 9mm slug lodged downwards in my roof.

As far as St. Pats now, all of the Historic district from MLK on the west side, to Broad on the East side, River Street to Liberty are shut down for 36 hours to vehicles; only foot traffic allowed. With almost a million people in town over that weekend (sometimes the entire week) that seems to help. Apples to Oranges me thinks. On top of all of the local jurisdictions pitch in their police officers for the weekend thus over doubling police presence for that weekend. Wont be the case then.

I'm trying to help out here; there's quite a bit of logistics involved with this many lowered cars downtown...and if you want to drive down River Street and you're remotely lowered you're gonna have a bad time. All its gonna take is 1 car to get stuck on some of these roads (which 60-70% of are one way streets) and traffic will be backed up for hours.

·
Registered
3,751 Posts
I'm trying to help out here; there's quite a bit of logistics involved with this many lowered cars downtown...and if you want to drive down River Street and you're remotely lowered you're gonna have a bad time. All its gonna take is 1 car to get stuck on some of these roads (which 60-70% of are one way streets) and traffic will be backed up for hours.

To piggyback on this: traffic will be backed up no matter what, SoWo won't be the only reason for the tourists down there and driving through Savannah is a real cluster**** as it is, so don't be an asshat doing something stupid to show off in downtown Savannah because there isn't much room for error on those streets.

1 - 20 of 92 Posts