VW Vortex - Volkswagen Forum banner

41 - 60 of 92 Posts

Registered
Discussion Starter #41
EDM_R32 we will be heading to Helen next year as well. An informal gtg would be nice, maybe just outside Helen. If it is in Helen I am sure there would be shop owners that would take a small group in.

Banned
EDM_R32 we will be heading to Helen next year as well. An informal gtg would be nice, maybe just outside Helen. If it is in Helen I am sure there would be shop owners that would take a small group in.
Sounds awesome bro - itll be us hardcore enthusiasts - all the trolling outcasts will be in savannah. 馃憤馃徎 All my buddies from Miami are committed to Helen too.

Registered
I've never been to a sowo so this will be a first for me I think. From hearing about savannah in a all around perspective I don't know if it's gonna be worth it to go for a few days. I'm not gonna be part of the walking around drunk crowd. I want to be able to eat a few nice places, enjoy the town, and not destroy my car

Registered
I've never been to a sowo so this will be a first for me I think. From hearing about savannah in a all around perspective I don't know if it's gonna be worth it to go for a few days. I'm not gonna be part of the walking around drunk crowd. I want to be able to eat a few nice places, enjoy the town, and not destroy my car
Show grounds are not near River Street where the bars are located.

Registered
You can still do that...there's tons of nice restaurants and the thing is you can park anywhere and walk to to those restaurants...if not a pedi-cab ride is like 5-10 bucks to anywhere you wanna go.

Registered
if not a pedi-cab ride is like 5-10 bucks to anywhere you wanna go.
I don't know about all of them, but the ones that wear the blue shirts don't go further South than Forsyth. I haven't tried it out but I have been told there are plenty of uber drivers in Savannah though and a lot of my friends use them. So you have options, some just aren't as cheap.

Registered
Also with staying in a hotel how safe is my car? I thought about staying 10-15 miles out and driving in during the days?

Registered
Also with staying in a hotel how safe is my car? I thought about staying 10-15 miles out and driving in during the days?
I live in Savannah and park my car over night in even some of the sketchy parts of town and haven't had a problem. I don't drive an expensive car, but no doubt it stands out. Obviously I can't promise that nothing will happen to your car, but I wouldn't worry much about it. It's not any less safe than parking at any other city. Just like any other city, make sure you don't have anything expensive sitting out in the open in your car that someone could see if they were passing by.

There's also a couple parking decks and some hotels right in downtown either have a parking deck or underground parking.

As for staying a little way out and driving in for the show: you could stay somewhere in South Carolina so that you don't have to drive through Savannah if you don't want, and you can take a ferry from Hutchinson Island, where the show is, into town so you don't have to deal with the traffic in Savannah. I believe Hardeesville is the closest town. It's like 5 miles away, and then Bluffton is 15 miles or so away. The roads from Savannah to South Carolina are absolute **** though, so if you drive a lowered car, be prepared.

A lot of the charm of Savannah is from being there at night though. If you get the chance to stay in town within walking distance of Broughton and River Street, I would recommend that, because you can walk out to the bars and not have to worry about having a driver and what not.

One thing that I don't think has been mentioned is that they sweep different streets every night. Every street has a sign on it with a time and day that the street will be cleaned and you can't park on that street during those hours. If you're parked there during those hours, you will get a ticket. Also be observant any street that have a time limit even if it's free street parking. They aren't kidding about those times. Eveeryone I know that's gotten a ticket in one of those spots has been there less than 10 minutes over time.

Registered
I've been looking on travelocity at hotels. Opinions on Richmond Hill and hilton head area
I don't know anything about Richmond hill, but Hilton head is really nice. It is 45 minutes away though

Registered
I live in Richmond Hill...it's about a 20 minute drive to Hutchinson Island.

RH is a quiet sleepy town, built by Henry Ford. A few other historical places there like Sherman's March to the Sea ended at Fort Mcallister in RH. If you are a Civil War/War of Northern Aggression history buff you will appreciate it. The place is not much to look at unless you know what you are looking at. It's not pretty like Savannah.

Hilton Head is nice, but tough to get to Savannah from there, even though it looks close. If SC is where you want to stay, then Bluffton is a good option. The best skatepark in the area is in Bluffton too.

Anyway, I spend most of time in Savannah and agree with much of what Tyranosaurus said.

You won't be disappointed with this town! I drive my Beetle everywhere. It's only lowered 2" but I can go down River Street easily, but there is really no reason to do that. There is a TON of parking on Hutchinson and free ferry over to River Street. You can walk to everything from there. There are only a few other cobblestone streets, and honestly, I"m struggling to remember where they are or if they even bothered me at all.

Comparison to NYC and Boston is unfair. It's not that crowded and evenings on the weekends you can drive up and down Bay, Jones, Broughton, and Ogelthorpe all night and probably catch only a few lights. I see a better comparison to the be Beaterville Show in Louisville, KY.

Like any city, use some common sense. Savannah is safe, unless you are an idiot or a trouble maker. People here are more friendly than anywhere I have ever been in the states.

Don't forget about:
Angels BBQ (on man vs food)
Paula Deen resteraunt
All the haunted places
Pirate House (the real one from Treasure Island)
Pinkies :)
Multiple German restraunts

This event is going to be awesome on Savannah, the beaches, the history, the food, the people. If I want to see a fake German tourist trap building like Helen, GA...I'll go to Busch Gardens, thank you.

Registered
I live in Richmond Hill...it's about a 20 minute drive to Hutchinson Island.

RH is a quiet sleepy town, built by Henry Ford. A few other historical places there like Sherman's March to the Sea ended at Fort Mcallister in RH. If you are a Civil War/War of Northern Aggression history buff you will appreciate it. The place is not much to look at unless you know what you are looking at. It's not pretty like Savannah.

Hilton Head is nice, but tough to get to Savannah from there, even though it looks close. If SC is where you want to stay, then Bluffton is a good option. The best skatepark in the area is in Bluffton too.

Anyway, I spend most of time in Savannah and agree with much of what Tyranosaurus said.

You won't be disappointed with this town! I drive my Beetle everywhere. It's only lowered 2" but I can go down River Street easily, but there is really no reason to do that. There is a TON of parking on Hutchinson and free ferry over to River Street. You can walk to everything from there. There are only a few other cobblestone streets, and honestly, I"m struggling to remember where they are or if they even bothered me at all.

Comparison to NYC and Boston is unfair. It's not that crowded and evenings on the weekends you can drive up and down Bay, Jones, Broughton, and Ogelthorpe all night and probably catch only a few lights. I see a better comparison to the be Beaterville Show in Louisville, KY.

Like any city, use some common sense. Savannah is safe, unless you are an idiot or a trouble maker. People here are more friendly than anywhere I have ever been in the states.

Don't forget about:
Angels BBQ (on man vs food)
Paula Deen resteraunt
All the haunted places
Pirate House (the real one from Treasure Island)
Pinkies :)
Multiple German restraunts

This event is going to be awesome on Savannah, the beaches, the history, the food, the people. If I want to see a fake German tourist trap building like Helen, GA...I'll go to Busch Gardens, thank you.
:thumbup::thumbup::thumbup:

Registered
Our group has been considering staying on Tybee Island and commuting to the show, can any locals give some insight to pros/cons of this? I see its about a 30 minute drive from Hutchinson and obviously there's going to be some beach tourists and what not. Are there good restaurants/bars on the island?

Thanks in advance!

Registered
Our group has been considering staying on Tybee Island and commuting to the show, can any locals give some insight to pros/cons of this? I see its about a 30 minute drive from Hutchinson and obviously there's going to be some beach tourists and what not. Are there good restaurants/bars on the island?

Thanks in advance!
yup. Bars are kinda small and kitchy but definitely a lot of good restaurants on the island. Theres Spanky's for one which is by far the best chicken fingers in town, and a nice taco place and bar called the tybee island social club. Most everything on the island is walking distance so you can drink and get back to your condo pretty safely. The weekend is pretty lively especially in the summer time. The drive is a little bit but its a nice commute, very scenic; especially at high tide.

Majority of the bars and restaurants are near the pavillion/pier area down around 15th/16th street. The closer you can stay to there, the better. I've walked the whole island before drunk as a skunk, so its feasible regardless of where the condo is.

Only I can think of is day of show you have to drive down through downtown on a saturday morning, and thats already a very congested area without the fact of the show going on. So leaving earlier than you would have expected is advised. You can expect the commute to be closer to an hour, if not more.

Registered

Thanks in advance!
The Crab Shack is an awesome place to eat at on Tybee!

Banned
We're all booked for Helen, some of the best cabins in town are still wide open :thumbup::thumbup::thumbup::thumbup: #SaveTheEuros #GrassRootsSoWo 2016

To the guy asking about Tybee - I was there in July --- it's a packed little part of town, nowhere to park, overrun with tourists. And beach access is not easy. It's the exact opposite of OCMD, where you can find parking anywhere. Really nowhere for good pictures either to be honest.

Registered
We're all booked for Helen, some of the best cabins in town are still wide open :thumbup::thumbup::thumbup::thumbup: #SaveTheEuros #GrassRootsSoWo 2016

To the guy asking about Tybee - I was there in July --- it's a packed little part of town, nowhere to park, overrun with tourists. And beach access is not easy. It's the exact opposite of OCMD, where you can find parking anywhere. Really nowhere for good pictures either to be honest.
Have fun in Helen. We will be in savannah.

41 - 60 of 92 Posts