VW Vortex - Volkswagen Forum banner

61 - 80 of 92 Posts

·
Registered
5,812 Posts
Im looking forward to this!

Im flying in from England and driving up with my family from Alabama.

My brother and I were planning SOWO in 2016, but that obviously isn't happening. Im always excited to see something new, and Ive never been to Savannah! Just need to know if there are going to be some MK1 secret gtgs.

·
Registered
3,751 Posts
good news, I drove up to Atlanta today and after a few years it looks like they're finally finishing up the road work on I-16, which is a highway pretty much everyone coming from somewhere west of Atlanta will be taking down to Savannah. That part of the road was ridiculously wavy, it seriously felt like driving a jet ski in the open ocean, but now it's one of the smoothest roads I've been on

·
Registered
18 Posts
Dog Friendly Dinning?

I'm going to European Experience with my lowered Beetle Turbo Convertible (recently posted on the Lowered Thread) and my Corgi. We're staying at La Quintal Suites in Pooler; dog friendly, reasonably priced and not too far away. Does anyone have any good suggestions for dog friendly dining?

·
Registered
3,751 Posts
I'm going to European Experience with my lowered Beetle Turbo Convertible (recently posted on the Lowered Thread) and my Corgi. We're staying at La Quintal Suites in Pooler; dog friendly, reasonably priced and not too far away. Does anyone have any good suggestions for dog friendly dining?
I don't know of any for sure, but I know people sit outside some of the restaurants in City Market with their dogs. I doubt any of them let dogs in, but at least you can sit outside. Unfortunately they "don't allow" dogs on the beach but from what I've heard they aren't very strict about that, but it probably keeps the beachfront restaurants from allowing dogs so just be prepared for that if you go to Tybee

·
Registered
3,751 Posts
yesterday they decided to tear up all of 37th street so that sucks. It's a three inch straight drop onto 37th so pretty much undriveable if you're lowered at all. You can get past it by going all the way down to Habersham street. I scrape pretty bad on that intersection but it's better than the alternative. It won't be a problem if you're staying north of 37th, which most "downtown" hotels are, but if you're staying farther south you'll have issues.

Also there's no signs to warn you of the massive bump. I was lucky it was a red light when I came up to it

·
Registered
1,669 Posts
yesterday they decided to tear up all of 37th street so that sucks. It's a three inch straight drop onto 37th so pretty much undriveable if you're lowered at all. You can get past it by going all the way down to Habersham street. I scrape pretty bad on that intersection but it's better than the alternative. It won't be a problem if you're staying north of 37th, which most "downtown" hotels are, but if you're staying farther south you'll have issues.

Also there's no signs to warn you of the massive bump. I was lucky it was a red light when I came up to it
thanks for the warning!

·
Registered
3,751 Posts

·
Registered
3,828 Posts
If this town can handle thousands of drunken idiots during st. Patricks day, its well equipped to handle a tuner show. Btw, great idea for the venue. I used to ride my motorcyle at the track all the time. Unfortunately no more euro's in my life, and working saturday and sunday. I know a bunch of my friends will be going. Have been seeing vws and audis out on tybee. Now I understand why.

If anybody is into kiteboarding, Thursday, after the event is looking like its shaping up to be a fun session on the south end of tybee where the meet will be. Another great spot for a meet, btw. Organizers have chosen well IMO.

Keep it clean and safe and low and slow this weekend. Police around here have no problem busting skulls. Tybee Police, No BS, they pull over anyone. 30-35 mph speed limit all over Tybee.

·
Registered
3,751 Posts
it looks like they've finished paving 37th street. I can't speak for the whole road because I avoid it with my car right now until I know it's done, but the parts of it I've seen are done

·
Registered
34 Posts
Enjoy Helen. Remember the city doesn't want you there. These are being installed throughout the city:
I came back to this post because it's sat with me since you posted it, Matt.

After visiting Helen this past week, I heard no negative feedback about the show attendees. Maybe you're referring to the "city council" that "doesn't want us there." As guests in Helen, we have absolutely no contact with the "city council" so they had absolutely no effect on our trip there. We only have contact with the businesses and police.

Each employee/owner/police officer that my group asked about the show got the same answer: They loved the show and the people that came with it. Each one did mention that they didn't want YOU back at all, however.
Dead serious.

Also, if anybody had a chance to see the photo of multiple speed bumps on Edelweiss that Matt posted to "back up" his claim, there is one speed bump just in front of Big Daddy's. And one on Unicoi St. near the bridge that leads to Escowee Dr.

·
Registered
1,881 Posts
Yeah, I'll be back in Helen next year, with our club. EuEx was disappointing.

·
Registered
2,709 Posts
Yeah, I'll be back in Helen next year, with our club. EuEx was disappointing.
If I had the vaca time I'd probably split my time between the two, starting out mid week in Helen and heading to Savannah for the weekend. There was a lot of missed opportunity with EuEx but nothing that can't be remedied next year. I was a little disappointed with the 1.5 wait to get into the show, prepaying for a ticket only to be waved through the ticket check in barrier, the seeming lack of venders and extra curricular show sponsored activities. I don't think they were anticipating the numbers, in fact, one of the guys working the VW tent said they weren't.

Savannah isn't Helen, so instead of being able to walk from one end of town to the other, we're sort of left to our own devices to find ways to entertain ourselves. But Savannah has lots of potential and the issues with the show are fixable.
Bounds and team will be better prepared and so will I to take advantage of what Savannah has to offer..
We were less than 2 miles from downtown and I wish I had brought my bike with me.

..and I won something at the raffle on Sunday, so there's that lol.

1 Posts
I came back to this post because it's sat with me since you posted it, Matt.

After visiting Helen this past week, I heard no negative feedback about the show attendees. Maybe you're referring to the "city council" that "doesn't want us there." As guests in Helen, we have absolutely no contact with the "city council" so they had absolutely no effect on our trip there. We only have contact with the businesses and police.

Each employee/owner/police officer that my group asked about the show got the same answer: They loved the show and the people that came with it. Each one did mention that they didn't want YOU back at all, however.
Dead serious.

Also, if anybody had a chance to see the photo of multiple speed bumps on Edelweiss that Matt posted to "back up" his claim, there is one speed bump just in front of Big Daddy's. And one on Unicoi St. near the bridge that leads to Escowee Dr.
I have to say I spent my time in Helen for a week this year instead of the normal 4 or 5 days. I couldn't agree with you more.

I had conversations at the package store, Betty's, Hofer's and the coffee shop on the main street corner.

Hofers:
I overheard 2 waitresses:
"I always liked the sowo people, I never had any problems with any of them"
"They made us really work that weekend but it was enjoyable"

Package store manager:
"Never had problems with the out of towners like yourself, it is our locals that cause the trouble b/c there's nothing going on in their town until sowo, and then it's time to come here to Helen and raise some hell, and make everyone look bad"

Betty's:
"We appreciate you coming back and your loyalty, you guys really made our city fun"
Coincidentally a big reason I went back was b/c a Betty's manager made me a sandwich after hours last year on Sunday night even though the deli was closed at 8:15pm. You have to reward these people for that.

Coffee shop:
Weekend was always enjoyable, good tippers, friendly, and fun to be around.

I made a conceded effort to have in depth conversations at all of these establishments.

The Heidi Motel manager last year even offered me a discount if I came back this year - she was sorely disappointed.

The police --
They were nothing but nice and gave out friendly warnings, and were appreciative of everyone being civil this year and acting with maturity and following the rules. Nobody was running around with open containers etc.

I agree the City leadership and a few vocal minority ran this show out of town.

On top of that I also heard a lot about Matt's lack of attention to the mischief last year. If it was MY show and my name - I'd have been knee deep in that burnout pit on Edelweiess telling people to cut the crap.

Policing our own is always vital.

That said - the VW owners who did show up were ALL very cool. and it was a community vibe - people borrowing jacks, people lending hoses or wash bay areas at their condos and it reminded me why I love the VW community so much. There's no attitude in the community of owners. The scene kids, that's a different story.

We all committed to each other to go back to Helen in 2017 as well. We will actively recruit VW/Audi Euro owners who want to come up there, just talk cars, hang out, be civil, go out for photos, etc.

I also didn't hear many things positive about Matt. I am kind of surprised to be honest. But there was that sentiment. I won't speculate on the relationship between Matt and the city but clearly they had enough of him.

I won't be going to Savannah ever, I've been there, it's overcrowded, pot hole laden, and overpriced. I really don't care to ruin my car's suspension on their cobblestone.

Not to mention it was NICE not having the riff raff in Helen - though I did see plenty of locals trolling through in beat up JDM cars or Mustangs looking to see if there was mayhem going on.

If you want to be part of the community and meet us in Helen every year please come. But don't bring your friends if they are troublemakers. Myself and the others will not hesitate to speak up to people acting like idiots.

Peace

·
Registered
1,881 Posts
If I had the vaca time I'd probably split my time between the two, starting out mid week in Helen and heading to Savannah for the weekend. There was a lot of missed opportunity with EuEx but nothing that can't be remedied next year. I was a little disappointed with the 1.5 wait to get into the show, prepaying for a ticket only to be waved through the ticket check in barrier, the seeming lack of venders and extra curricular show sponsored activities. I don't think they were anticipating the numbers, in fact, one of the guys working the VW tent said they weren't.

Savannah isn't Helen, so instead of being able to walk from one end of town to the other, we're sort of left to our own devices to find ways to entertain ourselves. But Savannah has lots of potential and the issues with the show are fixable.
Bounds and team will be better prepared and so will I to take advantage of what Savannah has to offer..
We were less than 2 miles from downtown and I wish I had brought my bike with me.

..and I won something at the raffle on Sunday, so there's that lol.
I'd love to hear how they think they can fix that problem. They had 15,000 people come in through one entrance, in a couple hours. There are no other entrances and I don't think they want to shrink the attendance, so I don't see a good way to improve that. Opening the gates at 7 am and still running the show until 4 may help, but then you're going to get **** parking if you don't show up at 7. Then we're right back to everyone trying to get in at once, but earlier.

·
Registered
544 Posts
I'd love to hear how they think they can fix that problem. They had 15,000 people come in through one entrance, in a couple hours. There are no other entrances and I don't think they want to shrink the attendance, so I don't see a good way to improve that. Opening the gates at 7 am and still running the show until 4 may help, but then you're going to get **** parking if you don't show up at 7. Then we're right back to everyone trying to get in at once, but earlier.
I got **** parking and I showed up very early. They should park the show cars the night prior.

·
Registered
2,709 Posts
They grossly underestimated the attendance for some reason. Expecting and preparing for less than half (6-7k is what a vendor told me) of the actual numbers can't be discounted as the root of everything that was wrong with EuEx.

Sent from my Nexus 6 using Tapatalk

·
Registered
544 Posts
They grossly underestimated the attendance for some reason. Expecting and preparing for less than half (6-7k is what a vendor told me) of the actual numbers can't be discounted as the root of everything that was wrong with EuEx.

Sent from my Nexus 6 using Tapatalk
Live and learn, I guess. Here's to next year.

·
Registered
544 Posts
I got **** parking and I showed up very early. They should park the show cars the night prior.
and how are the people driving said show cars supposed to get around town that night? or to and from the show?:laugh:

61 - 80 of 92 Posts