VW Vortex - Volkswagen Forum banner

81 - 92 of 92 Posts

·
Registered
2,709 Posts
Were you even there? There's a ferry that goes across the water for free and everything was in walking distance.
I went, and that's not even remotely the best idea.
Who drives to a car show to have their car sit in a field most of the weekend? Savannah is too large for that. I will say that there are parts of savannah that are very bike friendly and I'll be sure to have mine with me next year.

Allocate more space for spectator parking. Problem solved, lol. When you treat the show like it's the first year instead of one that's been built off of 9 years, you'll run into issues.

Sent from my Nexus 6 using Tapatalk

·
Registered
1,198 Posts
I went, and that's not even remotely the best idea.
Who drives to a car show to have their car sit in a field most of the weekend? Savannah is too large for that. I will say that there are parts of savannah that are very bike friendly and I'll be sure to have mine with me next year.

Allocate more space for spectator parking. Problem solved, lol. When you treat the show like it's the first year instead of one that's been built off of 9 years, you'll run into issues.

I did, :laugh:

You can get around in Savannah for free everywhere, trolly, boat, etc

But then again I trailered my car, left it at the show, took my DD back to the Hotel and walked everywhere.

·
Registered
544 Posts
I did, :laugh:

You can get around in Savannah for free everywhere, trolly, boat, etc

But then again I trailered my car, left it at the show, took my DD back to the Hotel and walked everywhere.

Nice, I want to build a trailer for my Touareg and show both cars at once, haha. Other than coming to town and leaving, I only drove my car once, and that was to the show field. Everything else I walked it took the ferry. There's plenty of shows out there that park their cars the night before. I don't know why people act like that's such a crazy idea. It wouldn't rule normal entry out either.

·
Registered
1,198 Posts
Nice, I want to build a trailer for my Touareg and show both cars at once, haha. Other than coming to town and leaving, I only drove my car once, and that was to the show field. Everything else I walked it took the ferry. There's plenty of shows out there that park their cars the night before. I don't know why people act like that's such a crazy idea. It wouldn't rule normal entry out either.
Exactly, and there was Security patrol at night on the show grounds, and no one really over there anyways, can't say the same for downtown Savannah and the hotels (which is typically where drunk vandalism happens atleast at H2oi)

So in actuality your car is much safer on the show grounds then downtown and at your own hotel.

Just food for thought for some people.

·
Registered
2,709 Posts
Curious how many people stayed within convenient walking distance to the river front. I was about 2 miles from there.. biking distance but not necessarily walking distance

·
Registered
1,198 Posts
Curious how many people stayed within convenient walking distance to the river front. I was about 2 miles from there.. biking distance but not necessarily walking distance

I booked my hotel on purpose because of it's proximity to both the show and downtown, I'm guessing those who didn't wanted to save money and thus shouldn't be bitching that their hotel was too far to walk.

I was at the Embassy Suites which was only a few blocks from city market and river front, but the best part was they had a free trolly running from the hotel to river front so took that once when I didn't feel like walking. The other best part was it was a simply left out of the Hotel to go across the bridge to Hutchinson Island, again I looked at all these factors when I booked my hotel.

·
Registered
2,709 Posts
I was spoiled in the cabins of Helen so I wanted a house lol. Quiet street facing a park and a cafe a couple doors down. Then there was this dive bar a few blocks up called the Wormhole.

·
Registered
1,669 Posts
I got a house in between Savannah and Tybee.. Meant I had to drive into Savannah each night and pay for parking but worth it IMO.

10/10 would stay outside of Savannah again.

·
Registered
1,198 Posts
I was spoiled in the cabins of Helen so I wanted a house lol. Quiet street facing a park and a cafe a couple doors down. Then there was this dive bar a few blocks up called the Wormhole.

Yeah I hear you, I did the oppisite for Helen haha I knew I didn't want to be in the crazy loud late night action, so stayed in Blairsville/Cleveland my first 2 years, then last year I got a house right before you enter town, but still away from the action it was perfect and I would do again despite having to drive in.

I got a house in between Savannah and Tybee.. Meant I had to drive into Savannah each night and pay for parking but worth it IMO.

10/10 would stay outside of Savannah again.
True, I still had to pay $15 on top of my hotel room cost for parking at the Hotel garage (and seems like most places were like that) so if you think about it not really a bad option.

I might try and do that next year, but only because I want to bring my dogs with me and I couldn't find any dog friendly hotels in town.

·
Registered
544 Posts
It was great walking everywhere, and having plenty of parking and being able to wake up and wash my car in the driveway in Helen. And hear birds chirp. And walk up to Hofer's for breakfast :) And esp nice not having a burnout pit on Edelweiss.

·
Registered
544 Posts

I couldn't beat where I stayed. Roof top pool, right next to the ferry, and right at the end of the river strip. I'll be staying there again next year.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

81 - 92 of 92 Posts