VW Vortex - Volkswagen Forum banner
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
2,392 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
What are the differences between the engine of the European and American Corrado VR6. ( Besides the displacement/ HP output). For example
Throttle Body????
Intake Manifold????
ANYTHING ELSE?
Are they different?
Thanks in Advance
Plamen

[Modified by Corra, 9:23 PM 12-4-2001]

·
Registered
2,720 Posts
Re: European VR6 2.9 Corrado. What's the difference???? (Corra)

You pretty much covered it. Throttle body, intake manifold, different pistons for the bigger bore and different engine management. 190hp compared to 178 for N. American 2.8s. That number might well be in "ps" so the actual number might be more like 187 when converted to bhp--not that it really matters.

·
Registered
8,249 Posts

The engine block will also say ABV (2.9) instead of AAA (2.8)

·
Registered
2,392 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Re: European VR6 2.9 Corrado. What's the difference???? (benzivr6)

I have heard about the throttle body. Are you positive the intake manifold is different????
Is the ECU different? If so can I use it on my US spec car?

·
Registered
37,595 Posts

The upper intake manifold is definitely different, the lower is the same. Not sure about the computer, but I assume that it has to be slightly different (no EGR or airpumps). Doubt you could swap that computer in, if that's what your thinking was.
TB and upper manny have been used many times with good results on mildly modded US cars.

·
Registered
2,541 Posts

They take less oil for some reason??? If that's of any interest to you.

The engine number is round the back instead of on the end.
They never had the transponder immobiliser either, even though the later ones went to a coil pack ignition (but not the later motorized) TB
They always have the earlier type oil filter, regardless of year too. the 2.8's changed in '95.
My 2.8 sounded better too.
All completely pointless issues, but you did sort of answer your own question in the first place.

·
Registered
2,392 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Re: European VR6 2.9 Corrado. What's the difference???? (phatvr6)

Thanks a lot for your help. I appreciate it.
So you are positive that the top part of the Intake Manifold is different???
The reason why i ask is because I might be able to get that stuff from Europe and wanted to know if it will make a noticable difference.

·
Registered
2,720 Posts

Corrado VR6 intake manifolds are most definitely different than all other VR6 intake manifolds. Make sure what you buy is from a 2.9L Corrado, nothing else. The manifold is, for lack of a better term, just "opened up" more than the 2.8. Try doing a search in this forum with "euro-spec intake manifold" or something similar in the title, there are good pics around...

·
Registered
2,392 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Re: European VR6 2.9 Corrado. What's the difference???? (VR6guy)

Thanks.
If anyone has a pic of a 2.9 VR6 Intake Manifold please E Mailed it to me at [email protected]
Are there any external signs that the manifold is definately from a 2.9????

·
Registered
37,595 Posts

If you turn the manifold over so the runners face you, in the upper right hand side of the manifold, you will notice that the plenum area extends all the way to the edge of the casting, instead of just having flashing there. It will also have a one runner main plenum of large volume, instead of a much smaller one. I'll try and find the pics.
Edit, pics, courtesy of Jim Chu:

Euro on left, US on right.

[Modified by need_a_VR6, 9:16 AM 12-6-2001]

·
Registered
2,392 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Re: European VR6 2.9 Corrado. What's the difference???? (need_a_VR6)

Thank you for the pictures, I will look in to it and let you guys know.

·
Registered
37,595 Posts

Oh, I forgot to mention one thing! There are two different castings for the Corrado. There is an early 92 one that is the most desireable manny, all asthetic though. It has extra casting that goes around the oil filter cap and fills in that unsightly gap that the later Euro and stock US ones have http://****************.com/smile/emthup.gif Harder to find though.
What do you mean, "I will look in to it and let you guys know."

·
Registered
2,392 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Re: European VR6 2.9 Corrado. What's the difference???? (need_a_VR6)

In will have my friend in Europe check it out see if it's a 2.9 VR6 or 2.8 VR6 and see if it has the desirable manifold, also the throttle body. That is what i ment.......

1 - 14 of 14 Posts