VW Vortex - Volkswagen Forum banner
141 - 160 of 182 Posts

·
Registered
450 Posts
Re: (Peter Tong)

Quote, originally posted by Peter Tong »
Yours #s are reasonably close although the torque is too high for your Eurospec figures... with 42/35 I see about a 6% increase in torque right around 5200 (to around 126 lb ft at 5k with a dip at 5.2k and then back to that same value at 5.5k), and a 12% gain up top by going 42/35... gains from the 42/35 start at right around 4250. I ran mine with 9:1 compression (by mistake)... I'll run them again tonight with 10.5:1 cr.... that cam seems to be a pretty good one from what I can tell... you are right... at full throttle not too much loss in low end torque... although I think that cam is much better suited for a 42/35 head (allows the engine to utilize the extra breathing capacity up top that the larger valves give). A 42/35 head doesn't seem to give much benefit until 4250 or so...

Looks like we got pretty similar results. All the configurations I ran the HP traces were really close up to 4500. The Torque numbers were not as close, but close enough at any engine speed I care about that any bottom end loss from larger ports is pretty meaningless.
If you have a chart for the exhaust flow numbers like the intake one above, I would like to see it.
If you are curious, here are the charts that Engine Builder Pro shat out:
http://www.shedracing.net/imgmisc/ebp_charts.jpg
The curves are a little blocky, since I only ran it for 500 RPM intervals. The table also lists the numbers for the made-up heads I ran with 10 and 20% higher flow, but I left them off the graph.
I also ran a couple with increased compression, and the change wasn't as much as I expected.
I expect with a properly ported head with 7mm stems I can get numbers in the same neighborhood as your 40/33 Eurospec, and I would be quite happy with that power. I do like that the peak is under 7000 RPMs, I want this engine to last a while. It would make more power with 42/35, but more power=more stress=less reliability.
Shopping around for a place to do the work,
I emailed these guys almost 2 weeks ago, so far no reply: http://www.usrallyteam.com/ind...age=2
I emailed Bildon as well, they list head porting on their site here: http://www.bildon.com/catalog/about/CylHead.cfm but I am not sure they are still doing machine work.
I also got a referral from a couple racer buddies for this guy, he is local to me. Not a specific VW guy, but he comes well recommended: http://www.bo-port.com/index.html
I haven't contacted SCCH yet.
Quote, originally posted by MkIIRoc »
I talked to eurospec about 3 months ago, and they no longer carry those valves. I ran into the same problem. I used some of my spare valves and wanted to replenish the stock only to find out they don't carry them anymore.

Do they do head work? I don't see any mention of services on their site. They aren't far from here.
Kris, do you have flow numbers for your head? Since you are moving away from the 8v, I'll give you $100 and a case of Corona for your engine.....

Or I can loan you a set of Toyos and you can put it on a real racetrack ( http://www.thunderhill.com )

·
Registered
5,069 Posts
Discussion Starter · #142 ·
Re: (Tom A)

Hi Tom,
I'll rerun the #s... and spit it out to a graph.
How soon do you need that head? I have a local contact that has been porting heads for decades that might be able to convince to do his magic on an 8v for you... the SF600 the above results are from are off his machine... the reason I ask... is that he is rather busy...

·
Registered
450 Posts
Re: (Peter Tong)

Not in a hurry at all, hopefully in the next few months though. I got "downturned" a couple months ago, so the race budget kind of dried up.
Actually, I don't need a graph, if you just have it as a text file (or excel spreadsheet) that would be fine, if that is easier. If you want, you can email it to me, tom dot aiken at gmail dot com.
Whatever is easiest.
Just curious, what does your local guy get for a porting job? Has he done any 8V VWs that you are aware of?
Thanks,

·
Registered
5,069 Posts
Discussion Starter · #144 ·

I'll have to ask... I've got a spare JH head lying around that I was considering just paying him to have worked over to see what he could do... he flowed both the spare 42/35 head and the Eurospec (before and after 42/35 upgrade)... and he found ways they could be improved...

·
Registered
2,275 Posts

I don't have any flow numbers, sorry. Some day I'll get some. I raised the port roofs to a bertils style port job and matched the intake the last time I had it apart, which combined with the new cam put down 30 more whp.
Thanks for the offer... near irresistable haha. I don't think this thing will handle too good!
It's staying 8v...I had an early mid life crisis. Decided to buy a tig welder and plasma cutter instead. Something I can actually use down the road.

"If you are curious, here are the charts that Engine Builder Pro shat out:"
Sounds messy...ewwww.

·
Registered
1,824 Posts
i have a line on a Eurospec head 42/35 valves but it has worn lifter bores and needs to be mahcined to 37mm buckets. he wants 300 plus shipping. is this worth it?
or if anyone is interested in it, i can put you in touch with the seller.
Craig

·
Registered
3,341 Posts
Guess I should chime in as I just found this thread. I bought GLi_Luva's Eurospec crate motor. I suspect it's the base model, but maybe one day I'll get it massaged by Collin...
Px4clx:
Other than bigger valves what massaging is there to do? We flowbenched ours and with stock size valves flow numbers were still going up at .600" lift! It ain't broke, don't try to fix it.

·
Registered
3,341 Posts
supervee heads are the only thing better than these, the ports are massive and usually raised to give as straight a shot as possible to the valve
Got 2 of them as well and the eurospec head flows better.

·
Registered
348 Posts
After 11 years I think I'm ready to call it quits. This damn motor breaks everything. Just had it refreshed with new exhaust valves and was wondering how much do these heads fetch?. Mine is a full on stage 3 head with about 10k miles on it before the refresh.

141 - 160 of 182 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.