VW Vortex - Volkswagen Forum banner

Eurospec 8v head rollcall... post if you have one thx...

77K views 183 replies 54 participants last post by  Campbell 
#1 · (Edited)
Hi Folks,
Have/running a Eurospec head? Post up please!
best regards,
Peter T.
Current List of Eurospec Head owners:
Atoson
85spraybomb
voxwagen88
bahnblitz
avwg60
Andrew Stauffer
Peter Tong
MkIIRoc
Stock77
vwpieces
kenney83
Rage In The Machines
vwsnaps
gamblinfool
Prof315
chrisbmx68
victoreyestkt
Tinter
unconfirmed:
81dragrabbit1
honorary member with standard non custom cast rebuilt Eurospec head

dennis2society
bvillelounge
upoo2
MarkOne

See less See more
#3 ·
Re: Eurospec 8v head rollcall... post if you have one thx... (The Quinner)

Why thank you Mr Witting. Merry Christmas btw.

Peter, you know all about my set up. Definitely count me as a fan of these things. You don't see or hear of too many out there, however. Perhaps the high cost in the mostly low budget 8v world.......

Modified by Andrew Stauffer at 6:19 AM 12-21-2006

#6 ·
Re: (Peter Tong)

Quote, originally posted by Peter Tong »
here is the scoop (pic photo credit goes to avwg60)...
bottom is the stock 8v hydro counterflow head... top is the Eurospec head...

where's the drool icon?

So are these an aftermarket head or a specialty VW unit?

#13 ·
Re: (2.0 Ho)

The basic versions of it were around $1000 or so during the mid 90's. That one is the rather worked over Stage 3 all out 8v head. I think these days the standard head is right around $2400... as I said kind of rare I would presume but you never know !

#14 ·
Re: (Peter Tong)

yah but i dont see the massive performance of the eurospec head compared to someone doing a p&p on a head and getting bigger valves in there head for 1000... just doesnt make money sense to me... I could do all the work they did or have it done by someone for ALOT less the only difference is it wouldnt be cast

#17 ·

I'm sure with enough work a stock head likely could be reworked to perform as well.
As you can see it would require a heck of a lot of material removal. I do not know if there were other advantages - ie if portions of the casting were strengthened to compensate for the loss of material surrounding the ports.
At any rate - another other folks running this head?

#21 ·
Re: Eurospec 8v head rollcall... post if you have one thx... (Peter Tong)

I spoke to somebody a long time ago about his Eurospec head. He had it flow tested and was disappointed at how small the flow difference was between a normal 8V and the ES. This is not to say that there was not a perceptible advantage, just that the difference in flow could easily be covered by a professional port job on a normal 8V head.
There is such a thing as ports too large for a given valve size. I learned that VW diesel heads suffer from this condition (diffeent case, just an example.) I suspect that, to take advantage of the size of those Eurospec ports, you'd need overlapping intake and exhaust valves.
I don't see the advantage of running a .6" lift cam on an 8V head. As you know, flow increases rapidly from zero lift, then tapers as lift continues to increase. Most flowed 8V/10V heads I have seen are leveliong off after .450 lift or so, and flatten out around .5". Maybe a fully flowed Eurospec head with maxed out valves and a full race setup could take advantage of a .6" cam. I don't know. I have gotten to see only one ES head up close and personal, not installed. I have never used one or driven a car with one. I am just speaking from normal 8V experience with stock and ported heads.

#23 ·

Quote, originally posted by 2.0 Ho »

That is rad... so where did you score that head? Didnt actually pay the full 3500 buckeroos did yah and how big of a difference did you notice once you got it on and running?

I bought it over in England and had it shipped to me in Toronto. It was about $4500cad.
The difference is enormous. The head I had before was an Oettinger G60 head. Oettinger uses a VW OEM cast and then ports and polishes and uses their own valves, stems, etc. The Oettinger head is still hydraulic and has original sized valves. This head was extremely smooth and civilized for a daily driven car but flowed really well. Very noticably better than stock. After selling the Oettinger to my friend and getting the Eurospec....... well, lets just say it has become a whole different animal altogether! I raced #6, G60Dano, on "The Official G60 Forum top whp list"(currently he's #10). We started from highway speeds and I came up so hard behind him that I had to swerve onto the side shoulder to avoid ramming into his rear bumper. This was in my Corrado which is extremely heavy.

#24 ·
Re: Eurospec 8v head rollcall... post if you have one thx... (Longitudinal)

Hi Jonathan,
I really think that there was a wide variation in these heads with the less expensive entry level early vintage versions flowing less out of the box, not due to the port shape in the head itself but due to the early ones just having less work done to them out of the box. I had just the basics (valve unshroud, valve stem undercut, and backcut) done on mine and saw 22% flow gains in the midrange.
I do think that avwG60 is barely tickling his right now though.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.