VW Vortex - Volkswagen Forum banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
403 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
yeah guys...seriously i had finally received my euroswitch yesterday after ordering from tmtuning during christmas/new years weekend.
it was a cabrio euroswitch(red lighting), no leveling button, came in the vw box, but it was actually made in spain

ill post some pictures up in a bit, and then ill email tmtuning about, theyre actually cool ppl to deal with. i beleive i was just unfortunate to receive a defective oem spain part.

alot of smoke came from the steering column, luckily i pulled over and shut off my car before the wires could fubar the fuse box. one wire actually got to the fuse box on the headlight switch harness, but not enough damage for anything else, at least that i havent discovered.
this is my dd, hopefully we can work something out like send back my defective switch for a new one, and be reimbursed for a new headlight switch harness, so i can just buy it in the states, and use my old switch for awhile.
2nd time an electrical fire started in my car.
1st one started with the ac switch, and now this. http://****************.com/smile/emthdown.gif electrical is easy, but i guess when they say vws have electrical problems, they mean keep a fire extinguisher in your car
, which ill be doing from now on.

·
Registered
3,930 Posts
Re: euroswitch started an electrical fire?! (onizuk4a)

That's what you get. You can't just become euro.

·
Registered
8,066 Posts

Quote, originally posted by onizuk4a »

2nd time an electrical fire started in my car.

Do you do your own electrical work? Because two electrical fires is pretty strange. Especially because fuses are suppose to blow before any heat can be generated within the wires.
Strange that two stitches caused two fires.

·
Registered
5,239 Posts
Re: euroswitch started an electrical fire?! (VR6~aholic)

Sounds like you have some other issues

·
Registered
403 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Re: euroswitch started an electrical fire?! (deletedo1m)

first one happened same month we bought the car, long ago and way distant than the euroswitch fire.
it ended being the whole ac/recir switch harness, but since then everythings been fine.
but really though, the euroswitch has something loose inside when you shake it, just checked it... so im guessing theres some sort of short to cause the harness to burn up.
by electrical being easy, diagrams, and basically plugging everything back into the right place, wiring sound systems, using proper gauge wire, hid kits, all that stuff http://****************.com/smile/emthup.gif ive had my car since 16, and im 20 now, good running dd, i know how to take care of my stuff.
some ppl wouldnt even want to deal with replacing harnesses in this car, that fuse box nest is pretty scary.

·
Registered
3,930 Posts
Sounds safe http://****************.com/smile/emthup.gif

·
Registered
40 Posts
Not to hijack the topic, but VW electical system is fire prone.. something about how they wire the fuses is not right. I think it is a design issue.
Here is my experience with a MKIII jetta.. While using emergency flashers, smoke started coming in from under the dash. Long story short, there was a short
One fuze blew, but another one did not! So the emergency flashers/turn signals relay started melting and burning. The fuze that was supposed to melt and protect the circuit was the right AMPs.. but it kept sitting there while the relay was melting, with full 12V battery amp output going through it via the short
Clearly VW did not consider/test the shortcircuit path that I happened to have.
I always carry a fire extinguisher in all cars.. and doubly so in a Vdub

·
Registered
6,100 Posts

Quote, originally posted by onizuk4a »
came in the vw box, but it was actually made in spain

defective oem spain part.

Other than the timing coincidence, why are you so certain the "defective Spain part" caused your fire this time? Especially when this wasn't the first fire?
VW have long sourced parts all over Europe and the Americas for their VWs, both for the European and for the North American markets. Like, for the Mk5 Jettas, the original projector foglights for the left side were all made in Germany, while all of those for the right side were made in Slovenia. I found that the Slovenian light actually has a slightly better beam pattern.
The Euro light switch I put into our Mk3 Jetta in 1998 was made in Spain. As was the replacement that I just put in after the old one broke after 12 years.

Modified by Marek K at 8:38 AM 2-10-2010

1 - 10 of 10 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.