VW Vortex - Volkswagen Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
951 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I just got a front and rear sway bar from a 2002 EV.
The rear is 26mm but the front is 23mm.
My 1999 front is 23mm but pre2001 have no rear sway bar.
The shop manual says that if you add a 26mm rear you must upgrade your 23mm front to a 27mm.
I just assumed that all of you with 2001-2003 EV have a 26mm rear and a 27mm front sway bar?
But this goes against what I was shipped (could be the vendor?)
If someone has the time could you measure your front sway for me on any 2001-2003 EV and tell me if you have the 27 or 23mm front sway bar.
Thanks

·
Registered
951 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
Re: EV sway bars question and measurement. (jditom)

I went to the dealer and measured a front sway bar on a 2003 MV weekender and it is 23mm just like my 1999. I do not know why the service manual say to upgrade the front to a 27mm if you retrofit a rear 26mm on a Eurovan. VW did not do this on there 2001-2003 lines for the US?
Let me know if anyone finds any new information.
I am proceding with adding the rear sway bar!
I have a 23mm front sway bar if anyone needs one!

·
Registered
17,471 Posts

Checked the ETKA and it indicates that the 27mm front bar was found on all Rialtas and also on EVCs from F 70-1-000 000>>>* (presumably that's part of a VIN? so after a certain VIN?). The MV and GLS show has having the 23.5mm bar.
The rear stabilizers listed are 26mm or 20mm but it's not clear what application each is. In the comments there's a "PR-0BB" for the 26mm and "PR-0BC" for the 20mm but I have no idea what those correspond to.
The only thing I wonder about the service manual is that maybe you have to fit the larger front bar if you are retrofitting the 26mm rear bar *and* you are still running with the higher suspension (because retrofitting the larger of the two rear bars to a vehicle that didn't have one originally implies that you have the higher suspension to begin with)? But maybe with the lowered suspension found on '01 and up vehicles the smaller front bar and larger rear bar is an OK combo? Just a wild guess though...stabbing at any correlation here that might make a truth out of the info you have from the manual (sounds like it may not have explained the whole story).

Modified by gti_matt at 8:27 PM 5-18-2004

·
Registered
951 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Re: EV sway bars question and measurement. (gti_matt)

I am going for the rear only next Monday and will report back.
If this works out well it would be a very cheap mod that the pre 2001 EV owners can do along with lowering it!

·
Registered
17,471 Posts

Cool...let us know how it turns out, how it handles, what parts are needed, etc. (sounds like it's the bar, a few brackets, and a few bolts?).

·
Registered
30 Posts
So, If I have 92 EV GL that has been lowered with H&R Springs, I should have a 23mm sway bar in the front. Now if I want to add one in the rear it should be a 26mm, but I would also have to upgrade the front to 27 mm. Am I correct? Just curious.

·
Registered
17,471 Posts
Re: (jcmaros)

Quote, originally posted by jcmaros »
Now if I want to add one in the rear it should be a 26mm, but I would also have to upgrade the front to 27 mm. Am I correct? Just curious.

that is what we *used* to think. He's saying that he found that the '01 and up vans that had the 26mm rear bar did *not* have the 27mm in front and had just the 23.5mm one in front so that's why we're currently confused.

·
Registered
951 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Re: (jcmaros)

As of right now I see no reason to upgrade the front if you have a 23.4mm and want to add a 26mm rear. This what the 2001-2003 EV have. But the 01-03 EV have shorter springs and are lower by 20-25mm compared to 93-2000.
Since I have also done shocks, H&R springs and lowered it 40MM I am just going to do a rear 26mm bar.
On my 99 the holes are all there so the brackets just need to be rivited in and bolt on the bar!
That's it.
I will post pics when done so you can look to see if yours is predrilled for a sway bar. Even if it is not I think a good shop could do it for you!
More to follow

·
Registered
3,572 Posts
Re: (jditom)

Could the different application be because each of the following take differnt ones?
Camper (Winnebago) EV
Westfalia EV
Standard EV
Just wondering if this was true because of different weights of each of the above.

·
Registered
2,308 Posts
Re: (cooleremail)

The dealer told me that the Camper - the real camper Winnebago monstrosity, takes a larger rear sway bar. It was like $500 - $600 and was only 2-3mm larger than the 26mm.

·
Registered
112 Posts
Re: (Der T4)

The Winnebego has a different rear suspension. I don't think the anti-roll bar will work on our EVs. If I am wrong about this, let me know!

Chris

1 - 12 of 12 Posts