VW Vortex - Volkswagen Forum banner
1 - 20 of 157 Posts

·
Registered
1,412 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Well, I guess this is kinda like a build thread started very, very late haha. I cant get a hold of the old pictures of the car prior to the body work she received so I'll start from when the body work was finished up!

Here's a little background on the car first. It's a 1984 Wolfsburg Edition and was originally black. My dad bought the car for $100 around 1998 for my mom as a present because she missed the two she had before I was born. They both drove it around for about a year, let my sister paint some flowers on the side of it, and then when it started to run poorly they parked it in my backyard. It sat there until 2009 being eaten alive by mother nature; or so it seemed. I was in 11th grade and I knew I wanted the car badly. I had always been in love with the car. So I had my dad help me tow it out of the back yard and down into my driveway and I worked on the thing for a solid year just trying to get it to run. I almost sold the car to some Russian dude because I couldn't get it no matter what I did until the day when he came to pick it up. For fun I decided to bypass the in-tank pump and the car fired right up and better yet, actually drove. I called the dude back up and told him to go pound salt and that I was keeping it :laugh: I felt like such a moron for not checking that pump sooner. I guess I just assumed my dad was right when he told me there was no pump in there. I replaced the pump and drove it, constantly working on it until December 29, 2011 when I decided it was time for a make over. New paint, new wheels, coilovers, ect...

May 31st and this is how she sat:

My Rabbit by dougkehl1, on Flickr

My Rabbit 2 by dougkehl1, on Flickr

She was lookin fine in that Volkswagen Dusty Mauve paint, new top, CSS Mesh wheels, and lowered a bit on Vogtland coilovers.

I knew for the time being I was content with her appearance, but I new there was something I didn't like about it... The wheels. The had a god awful offset.. ET-11 to be exact. They were originally ET4, but I was forced to run 15mm spacers to clear the bracket on my front brakes. It didn't poke bad, I just really wanted a little less of it though. Plus I settled for the wheels. I was really looking for a set of Enkei Apache V's which I struggled to find for most of my time working on the car. until one day....

I found a set on a year old thread in the 4x100 classifieds and I bought those suckers on the spot. This is a picture of one of the wheels with nasty paint one wheel after I stripped and sand blasted the paint off.

0902121907 by dougkehl1, on Flickr

Here is after fresh paint and new stainless steel nuts and bolts around the centers and through the lips and barrels.

IMG_5371 by dougkehl1, on Flickr

Now I was happy with the look. The offset was dramatically better, it was actually pretty flush with the edge of the flares which got me pretty stoked haha.

I drove it until around the beginning of December 2012 and threw the stock wheels back on her and drove her through the winter. That sucked:( All the salt on the new paint made me want to cry and then I had an unfortunate encounter with a deer. Luckily I made it out with a dent the side of a side marker. I was mostly annoyed the deer didn't die so I could bring it home and eat it :laugh:

So from there I laid it up and fixed it up and had my buddy fix the dent for me. In the mean time I completely reworked my lower dash/knee bar and shifter console. I stripped the knee bar down to the metal frame and did some magic with metal and formed it blend into the upper dash and built a gauge cluster to house 4 VDO gauges. I then reupholstered the whole dash with my moms help. I also added a Nardi steering wheel and a shift lever extender with a BIG wooden shifter (this actually didn't come until that long ago. maybe a month or so ago). The shifter is nice because of how close it is to the wheel.

Pics of the dash/knee bar, shifter console thingy, steering wheel and shifter.

IMG_20131101_075459 by dougkehl1, on Flickr

IMG_20131112_155213_400 (1) by dougkehl1, on Flickr

Shortly after the dash/knee bar was finished I scooped up a NOS Hella quad light grille in the original box. I already had a quad light grille nearly identical the Hella one. It was made by Carello, and the lights are next to impossible to find for it. I had to modify it to make it work with Hella lights. It worked okay, but the Hella grille worked much nicer and I could actually adjust my high beams so it was worth the money.

I forgot to mention over the winter I picked up a 1.8L 16V out of a Scirocco. This was my next major move to take place with my car. So slowly but surely I started working on the engine, cleaning it up, getting some basic things tuned up.. Then I bought a set of Weber DCOE 45's and a TT 4-1 race header:D

engine by dougkehl1, on Flickr

20130610_180519 by dougkehl1, on Flickr

In the midst of all of this I met my current girlfriend and partner in crime.. She's a car person and has a project car of her own (a 1994 Subaru Legacy Wagon, soon to be turbo'd with a somewhat built EJ22T :D) and she helped me finish up my engine and then even better.... Helped me swap it! In my dirt driveway! On a 98 degree day in New Jersey!

Out with the 8V!

20130718_201102_LLS by dougkehl1, on Flickr

In with the 16V! This was the morning after because we didn't finish getting the darn thing in until about 1:30 AM

201307279510130495HDR9520130821231123322 (1) by dougkehl1, on Flickr

I relocated the battery to the trunk, ran all new fuel lines, modified my already custom stainless steel exhaust I made with my dad to mount up to the big new header.

And this is her today:

IMG_20131008_172835_644 by dougkehl1, on Flickr

IMG_20131121_065016_324 by dougkehl1, on Flickr

IMG_20131008_080244_802 by dougkehl1, on Flickr

And the latest update for Eva are the NOS Amber Hella inner lights for the quad grille :D I'm super pumped on these!

IMG_20131204_174920_585 by dougkehl1, on Flickr

IMG_20131204_155725_737 by dougkehl1, on Flickr

·
Registered
1,412 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thanks man! It's actually a very odd color purple. It plays tricks on the eyes a lot haha. But I'll be posting to this hopefully pretty frequently. Aside from getting those lights in, next on the agenda is cleaning up my garage and getting her in there so I can do the rings and bearings and look over the head and install some new cams :thumbup:

I also, have some interior projects planned as well ;)

·
Registered
1,412 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 · (Edited)
Too bad it doesn't have bumpers. It would be a nice car if it wasn't for that.
I knew that was coming haha But it's ok. I realize it's not the safest, and if I get into an accident I can basically kiss the car goodbye. I wish I had left the holes for the bumpers open.. Unfortunately my dad screwed me on that one and told my/his friend who was doing a majority of the original body work to plug them even though I told the guy to leave them open for this reason specifically.. I went to the dude's shop to do some work myself only to find the bumper holes plugged :sly:

Needless to say I prefer the bumperless look, but to this day it still irks me from time to time that they got plugged up. I would like to have the option to still put bumpers on the car if I chose to.

·
Registered
1,412 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Bumpers aside; the car looks good.:thumbup: It must rip with that carbed 16v in there.

Looking at this make me want to put the 16v back into my wife's Cabby.
Thanks man! :beer:

And with the 16v in there it does rip like an animal.. well did for about a week or two. Then I blew the rings in cylinder three and I can only drive it to about 3-4k rpm in 1st, 2nd and 3rd gear, 4th and 5th don't make her happy lol.. it's a real bummer considering I tested the compression a bunch and got good readings. I guess my tester was a little off haha. I'm kicking myself everyday for not doing the rings when the engine was out of the car.. I guess I was a little too eager to have the damn thing in the car :facepalm:

But hey, at least I have a garage and can work on it over the winter in heat and have it ready for spring time!

But here's an update, I finally got her moved into the garage where she's safe from the snow that's supposed to be falling this weekend and I got the yellow inner lights in the grille last night :D

IMG_20131213_230653_958 by dougkehl1, on Flickr

IMG_20131213_224338_399 by dougkehl1, on Flickr

IMG_20131213_224406_810 by dougkehl1, on Flickr

·
Registered
2,192 Posts
If you can use it; I have 1.8L 16v block with crank, connecting rods and pistons still in it. It is stripped of everything else. I was going to scrap it but if you can do something with it let me know; free if you come and get it.

·
Registered
1,412 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
If you can use it; I have 1.8L 16v block with crank, connecting rods and pistons still in it. It is stripped of everything else. I was going to scrap it but if you can do something with it let me know; free if you come and get it.
I may be able to do something with it! I may take it just for the sake of having another block. Let me see about storage because right now I have a spare 8v and my girlfriends ej22 turbo project engine for her Subaru in my room haha

·
Registered
2,192 Posts
I will go check its current condition. I much rather give it to someone who will do something with it than scrap it. My wife and I just bought a house and some of my car parts must go before we move in a month.

·
Registered
1,412 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Ok awesome man! Yeah I'd much rather take it off your hands than see it scrapped. Re-purposing is a good thing :thumbup: and congrats on the new house! :beer:

·
Registered
2,192 Posts
I went to go take a look at the current condition of the block. It has been stored outside under a tarp; some rust has developed on the cylinder walls. It may come clean with a good hone job or the option to punch it out for some larger pistons. I will be around the weekend after Christmas. PM me with your # so we can set something up. Marc

·
Registered
1,412 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Well the rust doesn't bother me because I'd probably punch it out anyway, but my problem is that I have nowhere to store it. My dad is saying no based upon the fact that I have a spare 8v, my girlfriends subaru ej22t engine, two sets of subaru heads, a mopar 340 block and a set of big valve heads for the 340 in my room and garage hahaha. So unfortunately I can't take it :(

However an interesting thing happened this weekend. I did another compression test, and found I do have good compression still on all cylinders :screwy:

The #3 cylinder was not firing at all for a long time. I took the plug wire out, cut all fuel to it and even plugged up the trumpet and there would be no change in idle. Well on Friday when I moved it back into the garage the #1 cylinder was doing the same thing that the #3 cylinder was doing. Only now the #3 cylinder responded how it should when the plug wire was removed, the fuel was cut or the trumpet were plugged; it would kill or almost kill the engine.

So this problem just jumped cylinders on a whim without a real reason that I can see. If the compression was bad, it would be bad all the time.

However, my battery is shot. The thing wont even hold a charge for a day, so I'm beginning to wonder if that is having a negative effect on my MSD set up. My alternator is good, but the battery is just toast. Could a faulty battery be causing me to have poor spark management? Opinions on this?

·
Registered
2,192 Posts
Well the rust doesn't bother me because I'd probably punch it out anyway, but my problem is that I have nowhere to store it. My dad is saying no based upon the fact that I have a spare 8v, my girlfriends subaru ej22t engine, two sets of subaru heads, a mopar 340 block and a set of big valve heads for the 340 in my room and garage hahaha. So unfortunately I can't take it :(
Its not a big deal. Good luck with that MSD issue.

·
Registered
1,412 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 · (Edited)
Merry Christmas vwvortex!

I gotta say my mom and dad really blew me away this year and hooked me up with an AEM analog wideband air/fuel ratio gauge kit. It should make getting the proper jets in this thing a little easier being able to now read the air/fuel ratio. I'm excited to get this in there and really get the engine dialed in.

IMG_20131225_102922_759 by dougkehl1, on Flickr

They also hooked me up with some other awesome things, like a new speedo gear for the new trans that's in the car and then some light bulb sockets for my VDO gauges! And a present to myself a lower steering column bearing :D I had been trying to find one of those for forever, and then one day browsing the scirocco forums I found a thread that fredybender (Fred) started. He managed to find someone that would make them for him or something along those lines and he had a few for sale. It's super high quality. He really made a fantastic piece and I would say if you're looking for one of these go contact him and get one. It's well worth the money.

IMG_20131225_131355_962 by dougkehl1, on Flickr

Also, I'm buying a new battery this week. Does anyone know anything about those Optima batteries that have the 6 individual cells? I'm considering getting one, but I know they don't make one exactly for a mk1 so I'm just wondering if anyone can shed any light on how to pick one out if I decide to go that way. Thanks!

·
Registered
2,192 Posts
Merry Christmas vwvortex!

I gotta say my mom and dad really blew me away this year and hooked me up with an AEM analog wideband air/fuel ratio gauge kit. It should make getting the proper jets in this thing a little easier being able to now read the air/fuel ratio. I'm excited to get this in there and really get the engine dialed in.

IMG_20131225_102922_759 by dougkehl1, on Flickr
That gauge is BOSS; I want one.

·
Registered
1,412 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 · (Edited)
That gauge is BOSS; I want one.
Right?! That's what I thought. I love the fact that its analog and not digital. To me whenever I see an old car like this with a bunch of old analog gauges and then a random digital AFR gauge I get sick to my stomach because it looks out of place to my eye. But it should look nice in the car especially when I redo my gauge cluster... I have some goodies for that :D

Here's one of the goodies for redoing my gauge cluster:

NOS VDO 10k RPM 3-3/8" Cockpit Tachometer gauge in the original box with instructions!

IMG_20131205_130124_436 by dougkehl1, on Flickr

IMG_20131205_130643_284 by dougkehl1, on Flickr

·
Registered
1,412 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
Well, it's been a bit since I've updated this. Been pretty busy lately, but some progress has been made at least on the inside of this car.. Underneath the back seat I never had a cover that went over the sending unit. Once I removed the back seat this car wreaked of gas haha You'd be high in 5 minutes unless the window was open. So I found some parts on ebay :D a cover from a 77 rabbit and a NOS seal for the cover!

IMG_20140124_162220_684 by dougkehl1, on Flickr

Installed in the car and its not a lot less stinky in there lol

IMG_20140124_193448_268 by dougkehl1, on Flickr

Some progress has been made on the engine as well... Not good progress though. After discovering a spark delivery problem with the wire between the coil and the distributor the car ran notably better, but was still off a good deal. I did another compression test and got so so readings. So I decided it was time to invest in a leakdown tester..

IMG_20140124_200948_845 by dougkehl1, on Flickr

Cylinder one was on the high end of being ok.. and the rest were not great.. soooo I'll be pulling the engine out to rebuild the bottom end as it appears that the rings are gone.

·
Registered
1,412 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
Well in the mean time while I accumulate parts to rebuilt my engine I decided to focus on the little things that I want to do with the car. So my first item to address was a spark plug wire holder.. Something similar to what is found on old BMW race cars.

Drilling some holes!

IMG_20140204_173418_367 by dougkehl1, on Flickr

Holes for plugs drilled.

IMG_20140203_161745_059 by dougkehl1, on Flickr

This was after I drilled all the holes and cut the slots to fit the spark plug wires into the holder. Also I had to make two "Z" shaped mounting tabs to clear two little tabs that stick out on the 16v valve cover about 1/2". These Z tabs also allow me to still use my chokes on my carbs.. It was a way tighter squeeze that I thought it would be haha

IMG_20140203_202633_897 by dougkehl1, on Flickr

Here it is mounted up with the plug wires in it!

IMG_20140204_182527_211 by dougkehl1, on Flickr

IMG_20140204_182312_439 by dougkehl1, on Flickr

IMG_20140204_182337_747 by dougkehl1, on Flickr

IMG_20140204_182545_682 by dougkehl1, on Flickr

1 - 20 of 157 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.