VW Vortex - Volkswagen Forum banner
  • Mwerks and Fourtitude have rejoined VWVortex. For more info, see this thread.

1 - 20 of 51 Posts

·
Registered
3,032 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
I did.. mainly because I completely underestimated the task, the timeline (took way longer than expected) and the huge mess.
The wife said "you're handy right, you should be able to do this and we can save a lot of money" I said sure, but I will need some help.
Well, the wife and kids were supposed to "help" but guess who got stuck doing 99.5% of the work?

The actual spraying didn't take long at all, but the prep work seemed endless :banghead:

·
I’m not a loser. I’m a winnah!!
39,902 Posts
Every year my wife says “we” should paint the cabinets white. And I say yeah, then “we” can scrub 10 times as often after “we” paint them. This has been happening since 2012.

·
You can't look at my avatar for just a second, can
6,404 Posts
Yes, when I turned my outdated kitchen into this and completely gutted my kitchen

A three month project turned into a six month ordeal. Glad I did it but might reconsider at the next house. BTW, I did 95% of the work while working and taking care of family stuff.

Try not to loose your mind Senior Member and know when to call for more help.

·
Registered
2,463 Posts
We have cabinets just like those and my wife has been bugging me for 5 years to paint them white. I plan to do it in the spring, but will be buying new doors to avoid the prep work
You have more patience than I do when it comes to sanding, those turned out nice.

·
Registered
2 Turbo Wagons.
15,036 Posts
Spraying is the easy/fun part, once you get the technique down, but OMG prepping stained inlay cabinet doors? Yeah... I'll choose waterboarding.

It looks good though. The work paid off.

·
Premium Member
18,413 Posts
The cream color is pretty nice.

Yes, I have gotten too deep into a project before. However, now I spend a lot more time on getting the demand catalogue/requirements together. A good R-Spec really does make for a good project.

·
Learning New Things Every Day.
'12 Earth F**ker '12 A4q '18 Q3
17,761 Posts
My wife wants white cabinets. They're maple now. Shaker-style.

Initially she said we should just paint them like what they do on the HGTV shows... I'm like, no. No brushes. I'll brush the cabinet bases, but not the doors. The doors need to be sprayed.

It'd be a big summer project because it's a domino project. New paint leads to new countertops, new farmhouse sink, new island top, and while we're doing all this, might as well do new floors, too.

·
Registered
19,576 Posts
Looks good.

But our old house needed this, plus some siding, foundation work, new HVAC and electrical updates.

We sold it.

·
Registered
2 Turbo Wagons.
15,036 Posts
I'm like, no. No brushes. I'll brush the cabinet bases, but not the doors. The doors need to be sprayed.
If the interiors are the light finish, and in good shape, you can use a Foam Roller for the Bases and fronts. You can typically roll the face without having to mask anything else, and it looks must better than using a brush.

If you have to paint the interiors, you have to put shelf liners in, because the paint will stick to anything you put in there.

·
Just Going with the FLO.
2,245 Posts
my rule is I will do most projects if I have two of them (bathrooms/bedrooms/LR's) but only one kitchen meant it was time to pay someone. It always more time & more $ than you imagine. The same holds true with paying someone. It is looking good tho :thumbup:

Mrs Mud one day after watching HGTV. "instead of buying a china hutch all we need to do is buy a bookcase and put doors on it"

·
17,761 Posts
If the interiors are the light finish, and in good shape, you can use a Foam Roller for the Bases and fronts. You can typically roll the face without having to mask anything else, and it looks must better than using a brush.

If you have to paint the interiors, you have to put shelf liners in, because the paint will stick to anything you put in there.
We have a light finish interior, so that's the only reason why I'll consider painting the cabinets. My sister is basically Martha Vila, and she did their kitchen without spraying it. It looked good from afar, but up close it did not look "factory." At minimum, I would have to spray the doors and drawer fronts.

·
17,761 Posts
my rule is I will do most projects if I have two of them (bathrooms/bedrooms/LR's) but only one kitchen meant it was time to pay someone. It always more time & more $ than you imagine. The same holds true with paying someone. It is looking good tho :thumbup:

Mrs Mud one day after watching HGTV. "instead of buying a china hutch all we need to do is buy a bookcase and put doors on it"
IKEA has a solution for that.

·
Registered
22,277 Posts
As a fellow man with painted white kitchen cupboards, I feel your pain.

Sidenote: Don't avoid it and then allow your wife and mother in-law to spend a Saturday pulling all of the cupboards apart only to come home from working Saturday til 4pm to a mess...

I ended up finishing all the painting and they had ****ed up the majority of the hinges etc when pulling them apart. Total PITA.

·
Registered
15,512 Posts

Initially she said we should just paint them like what they do on the HGTV shows... I'm like, no. No brushes. I'll brush the cabinet bases, but not the doors. The doors need to be sprayed.

It'd be a big summer project because it's a domino project. New paint leads to new countertops, new farmhouse sink, new island top, and while we're doing all this, might as well do new floors, too.
You can try to brush the cabinet bases but you need to hit it with a foam roller to smooth it out.

My neighbor got a near-factory looking finish on his by using a HVLP electric sprayer from amazon, and he still had to hit a few drips with a roller and then sand and touchup spray. Doors and drawers have to be sprayed unless you want a brush finish.

·
17,761 Posts
You can try to brush the cabinet bases but you need to hit it with a foam roller to smooth it out.

My neighbor got a near-factory looking finish on his by using a HVLP electric sprayer from amazon, and he still had to hit a few drips with a roller and then sand and touchup spray. Doors and drawers have to be sprayed unless you want a brush finish.
i just wrote brush to not be confused with spray. brush/roller/foam/whatever. Spray is the best way to do it, but not as easy.

the leveling agents in the paint don't work as well as they advertise, from what I've heard.

·
Registered
3,032 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
This has been happening since 2012.
I bought the new hardware 2 years ago and every time I wanted to start the project something else came up.

A three month project turned into a six month ordeal.
I thought this would take me 3 weeks max, It took 6, including one week where I didn't do anything due to being sick after I took the flue shot.

We have cabinets just like those and my wife has been bugging me for 5 years to paint them white. I plan to do it in the spring, but will be buying new doors to avoid the prep work
You have more patience than I do when it comes to sanding, those turned out nice.
Most new doors are pressboard garbage, that's why we decided to paint instead of replaceing.

Spraying is the easy/fun part, once you get the technique down, but OMG prepping stained inlay cabinet doors? Yeah... I'll choose waterboarding.

It looks good though. The work paid off.
I agree with the waterboarding :thumbup:

The cream color is pretty nice.

HGTV shows make everything look so easy. As for the domino project, the flooring guy just finished measuring for an estimate.

Looks good.
But our old house needed this, plus some siding, foundation work, new HVAC and electrical updates.
We sold it.
Thanks, but selling is not an option at this point, at least not yet. We are in a good school area and my youngest has 2+ years of high school to go.

It always more time & more $ than you imagine. The same holds true with paying someone. It is looking good tho :thumbup:
It's always more, regardless of how you calculate. Thanks, :thumbup:

As a fellow man with painted white kitchen cupboards, I feel your pain.

Sidenote: Don't avoid it and then allow your wife and mother in-law to spend a Saturday pulling all of the cupboards apart only to come home from working Saturday til 4pm to a mess...

I ended up finishing all the painting and they had ****ed up the majority of the hinges etc when pulling them apart. Total PITA.
Both boys ran away from helping with 100+ excuses, my oldest said "my time is too valuable to do stuff like that" my wife and daughter helped with TSP/tack-cloth prep.

Spraying the Doors and Drawer-fronts is a given. Too many nooks and crannies for anything else to look right.
HPLV spraying was given, since I also sprayed the inside of the cabinets, inside/side of the drawers too.

·
Premium Member
10,986 Posts
We paid someone to do ours. He came highly recommended and we hadn't even moved in to the house yet. Dude did an APPALLING job, charged us $1100 and has since totally disappeared and won't answer . Didn't sand anything, claimed the primer he was using didn't require sanding to adhere well. Didn't tape ANYTHING, there's paint marks on the walls, horrible unsmooth lines and worst, didn't even fully pull the drawers put so under most of the drawers, it's still primer. I wish I had done it myself at this point because I now have a 10X bigger project.

1 - 20 of 51 Posts