VW Vortex - Volkswagen Forum banner
1 - 20 of 26 Posts

·
Registered
2,770 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So I have a 2010 ms3 and I'm interested in trading it it fr an 08 or 09 gti.

Im not upside down on the mazda and have a couple of grand to play with, but id REALLY prefer to trade it in rather than deal with a privte sale for a number of reason.

Is there anything I should worry about? Will the dealer even take ny car in as a trade if it's worth more?

Tips and stories are greatly appreciated.

·
Registered
5,284 Posts
I sold my 2005 Jeep Grand Cherokee for 12750 and bought my 03 Accord for 9500. Saved an additional $500 a year on gas and insurance, while getting 30 more hp and a better interior, more reliability and only 9k more miles on it.

Sold it PP though and purchased the Accord outright.

·
Registered
1,829 Posts
I am on the opposite side right now. I have my Camaro on Ebay and someone offered me their 2003/4 (I forget) Neon Srt4 with 'extras' plus 3000 in cash for my camaro. According to KBB my car is worth around 7700, while his is worth 8400. I am little confused as too what is going on, I assume the Neon has issues but I am intrigued and debating responding to the guy even though I have no interest in trades.

·
Registered
3,347 Posts
Traded my 2008 Mercedes R350 w/ 33k miles on it for a 2011 Subaru Outback 2.5i Premium. My R Class was still worth about $33K on the used market as is and I bought the new Outback for $27K + Lic tax. The dealer gave me $27K for trade on my Mercedes, even though this was a sizeable loss I am happy to be rid of that unreliable POS.

·
Registered
12,552 Posts
Traded my 2008 Mercedes R350 w/ 33k miles on it for a 2011 Subaru Outback 2.5i Premium. My R Class was still worth about $33K on the used market as is and I bought the new Outback for $27K + Lic tax. The dealer gave me $27K for trade on my Mercedes, even though this was a sizeable loss I am happy to be rid of that unreliable POS.
how can you be happy when you left 4-6 grand on the table? hate it all you want, ill never understand people who wont just sell privately. trading in is almost never worth it unless you are elderly and truly cant be bothered. we're all busy people we all find time. however, i do hope to be wealthy enough one day to not have to worry about 4-6 grand. i would have sold it for you for 500 dollars. :p

·
Registered
89,723 Posts
how can you be happy when you left 4-6 grand on the table? hate it all you want, ill never understand people who wont just sell privately. trading in is almost never worth it unless you are elderly and truly cant be bothered. we're all busy people we all find time. however, i do hope to be wealthy enough one day to not have to worry about 4-6 grand. i would have sold it for you for 500 dollars. :p
Depending on the state- that trade in meant not paying sales tax on the other car, and not having to deal with selling the previous one- ads, calls, test drives, and possible insuring/paying for it for another month or two until it sells for significantly more than the trade in value.
My sales tax is 9.75%, and no sales tax on trades in values!
So that's almost $2700 savings in sales tax to trade like he did.

·
Registered
3,347 Posts
how can you be happy when you left 4-6 grand on the table? hate it all you want, ill never understand people who wont just sell privately. trading in is almost never worth it unless you are elderly and truly cant be bothered. we're all busy people we all find time. however, i do hope to be wealthy enough one day to not have to worry about 4-6 grand. i would have sold it for you for 500 dollars. :p[/QUOTE

Have you tried to sell an R-Class privately? it's too much of a niche vehicle and plus I had a little negative equity on the car so it was easier to do it this way, plus my payment is $300 less on the Subaru and so is gas, insurance, maintenance, oil-changes etc...

In all seriousness I sleep at night now knowing I have a reliable car in the garage, thats all that matters in the end. Buying the R-Class was a learning experience and a very bad decision, regardless of how much I left on the table it was like parting with a girlfriend you really didn't like, sucks in bed and can't cook but didn't have the guts to drop her.

·
Registered
2,770 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
You can always try to make a deal.
Dealers tend to low ball trades.. and trying to trade down is no different.

May I ask why you want to trade from the MS3 to the GTI (they seem very similar in package)?
Yeah, I'm going to test drive one in a few days and feel it out. I'm hoping the salesman wants to play ball. It's got navi so he's probably gonna offer no more than an even swap. I might bite.

As far as why i want to switch...I actually have had VWs for a very long time. I wanted to step away from the modding game and the german gremlins but i'm having baaaaaad withdrawals. I never imagined they would be this bad. I want a dub and there's really no other way to explain it. Well, the gas mileage, actually. I had a MKIV and it got me over 300 per tank all day long. The mazda averages 18-19 tops. I hate it. It might seem minimal to some but going to from 240ish to 300+ miles per tank is going to be worth the money i'm probably going to lose on the trade.

You might try the autotrader trade in marketplace thing to get a dealer trade in/buy out value.
(and just try carmax if one is in the area to see what they offer)
Will do. Thanks for the carmax tip. Hadn't thought of that.

I sold my 2005 Jeep Grand Cherokee for 12750 and bought my 03 Accord for 9500. Saved an additional $500 a year on gas and insurance, while getting 30 more hp and a better interior, more reliability and only 9k more miles on it.

Sold it PP though and purchased the Accord outright.
Yeah, I'm still a bit torn on trying to sell it privately, but another issue will be not having a car after the car is sold, and missing out on possible cars if the car doesn't sell fast enough (among other things).

I feel ya. Although I'm sure i won't be losing 6k :p
But it sounds like you just knew what you wanted and were at least somewhat ready to take the hit. I'm more or less on the same boat.

Out of my price range i'm afraid. i've been looking though.

Valid points, but from personal experience, the hit might not be as bad if you play hard to get a bit. I got book value for my mkiv gti when i got the mazda (which i got for a bit under bb). Not only that, but i was upside down on the gti because i had refinanced my student loans on it a few years back, so in my case, the slight loss was more than worth it.

·
Registered
89,723 Posts
As far as why i want to switch...I actually have had VWs for a very long time. I wanted to step away from the modding game and the german gremlins but i'm having baaaaaad withdrawals. I never imagined they would be this bad. I want a dub and there's really no other way to explain it. Well, the gas mileage, actually. I had a MKIV and it got me over 300 per tank all day long. The mazda averages 18-19 tops. I hate it. It might seem minimal to some but going to from 240ish to 300+ miles per tank is going to be worth the money i'm probably going to lose on the trade.
Well, the Mazdaspeed3 is rated 21 combined.
It is what it is.
At least you don't urban daily an RX8 like me.
You would have a conniption. :laugh:
And note if you get less than the combined estimate with one car with your driving situation and style, you will probably get less than the combined estimate with another in the same situation (especially in winter).
But whatever- you sounds like a dubber having DTs.
And if this is what you really want and can easily afford it- then do it. :thumbup:

You might try going back to the dealer where you bought the Mazdaspeed3 and see what they could offer - in buyout, and also in trade if they can locate a used GTI to your liking (dealers trade used inventory all the time).
You never know - they may have a market for a slightly used Mazdaspeed3, especially if it still looks/drives like new.
More than likely, they would want to trade the '10 for an '08 even....

Good luck with whatever you decide to do. :)

·
Registered
7,245 Posts
I traded in my '10 Jeep SRT8 for $39k last week. That price is only about $1k below what people are haggling back-and-forth over trying to sell them privately on the SRT8 forums. I picked up a loaded '11 Maxima for $36,237 OTD w/ 0% financing. Sticker was $39,710. I loved the Jeep, but it had to go. It was seriously junk as far as issues and niggles you probably shouldn't have to deal with on a brand new car.

·
Registered
2,770 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Well, the Mazdaspeed3 is rated 21 combined.
It is what it is.
At least you don't urban daily an RX8 like me.
You would have a conniption. :laugh:
And note if you get less than the combined estimate with one car with your driving situation and style, you will probably get less than the combined estimate with another in the same situation (especially in winter).
But whatever- you sounds like a dubber having DTs.
And if this is what you really want and can easily afford it- then do it. :thumbup:

You might try going back to the dealer where you bought the Mazdaspeed3 and see what they could offer - in buyout, and also in trade if they can locate a used GTI to your liking (dealers trade used inventory all the time).
You never know - they may have a market for a slightly used Mazdaspeed3, especially if it still looks/drives like new.
More than likely, they would want to trade the '10 for an '08 even....

Good luck with whatever you decide to do. :)
Ouch. I considered an RX8 for the looks, but the MPG scared me away quick. I settled for an MS3 with RX8 wheels though. :cool:

On that note, I got my car from a Toyota dealer pretty eager to get rid of it, so i highly doubt they want it back. :laugh:

·
Registered
2,770 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Oh.. you bought used. Ok.
Still- you might check with and Mazda dealers in the area.
I just figured if you were upside down on a 2010 model, that you bought new. (shrug)
Yeah, someone else took the $3k+ hit on it and threw in a few mods on (but also swapped the spoiler, door sills, and took cargo cover :banghead:)
There IS a mazda/vw dealer in the area though. It def won't hurt to check their used GTI inventory...

·
Banned
4,099 Posts
I traded in my '10 Jeep SRT8 for $39k last week. That price is only about $1k below what people are haggling back-and-forth over trying to sell them privately on the SRT8 forums. I picked up a loaded '11 Maxima for $36,237 OTD w/ 0% financing. Sticker was $39,710. I loved the Jeep, but it had to go. It was seriously junk as far as issues and niggles you probably shouldn't have to deal with on a brand new car.
$36k (Technically almost $40k sticker) for a Maxima? Why not a G37 for that kind of money?

Or anything else for that matter...:rolleyes:

·
Registered
27,590 Posts
i was gonna suggest Carmax get the cash then go buy the GTI

but i see i was beaten to the punch

be aware Carmax WILL not offer you waht its worth and will give youa lowe number (know someone that wnet to see what they woudl do for his RS4 they said 28k)

1 - 20 of 26 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.