VW Vortex - Volkswagen Forum banner

Every let someone test drive your Passat......... and they redline it?

1K views 16 replies 15 participants last post by  goBoating 
#1 ·
Okay, I've let two people test drive my Passat, and both of them pushed the car to 6500 rpms ( I don't know what redline is right now, but 6500 rpms is further than I have ever pushed the car).
Anyone else have friends push your baby further than you have? With each of these people, I'm like "Whoa there......... shift the thing!"

#2 ·
Re: Every let someone test drive your Passat......... and they redline it? (randy)

YES, my wife. I had to go to Sunnyvale CA for a week. When I left the car had 2000 miles on it. When I got back she picked me up with it (nice to see it in one piece, no dents woohoo) and she redlines it getting on the freeway. I look at the dash and it's got over 2400 miles on it. She said she only drove it for a day. Yeah right! She said "I love this car, I'm surprised I've not gotten a ticket yet (hee hee)" What could I do? Say something and spend the nights on the sofa? I'm just glad she only drives it ocationaly.
02 1.8t silverstone volkswindow tip chip(someday) ecu chip(someday)

#4 ·
Re: Every let someone test drive your Passat......... and they redline it? (RyanFD_1.8T)

Do it to my girlfriend's car all the time. Well not all time, she has tiptronic and I was showing how to get a good jump off the line with a little powerbreaking and then take the car to redline for max acceleration. The next day I was with her and some guy in a new Celica GT (not GTS) was revving on her at a stoplight, she couldn't believe it at first considering her car is stock and most people don't hunt down passats to race, but she went ahead and did a little powerbreaking like i showed her and we beat the Celica by a 2 car lenghts to 65 where she shut it down. Man that guy was pissed to say the least. She pulled off a great launch too, the car leaped off the line. Sorry about the race story but it was such a funny experience I had to share. Now if only VW would stiffen up the Passat's suspension......

#5 ·
Re: Every let someone test drive your Passat......... and they redline it? (randy)

No one touches my car or drives it, not even the mechanic. I drive it on the ramp and off. Stay with it all the time, even put on seat covers to keep their dirty butts off if they have to get inside the car. This aint no chevy, and it sure as heck aint a crap ford. Trust no one with your car.

[Modified by Wahaha, 7:02 PM 8-5-2002]

#6 ·
Re: Every let someone test drive your Passat......... and they redline it? (Wahaha)

I red line every single car i drive. I love it. The fun part was to redline my old 300zx TwinTurbo in 3 gear and just look at the speedometer and see that 3 digits
( 100 ). I sold the 300zx and got a into German car now.
I love it and I'm not looking back. I hope god bless me with extra money and I can upgrade my car and girlfriend's car to a M3 for me and an new S4 for my girlfriend.

#7 ·
I redline it often
Do you realize how conservative 6500rpm is?
I've driven a 1.8T at 7400 constant rpms with no complaints, 6500rpm is cake
I assume they keep the rev limiter low because its power isn't up high, not because it would hurt the engine
VW knows what they are doing. If 6500rpms hurt the 1.8T, they would set the redline lower.
Here's another example: When you activate the kickdown switch in the Tiptronic, the engine FORCES you to redline. So obviously, its not a problem!
I have a picture of a man in a labcoat (who? I dunno) driving a Passat at 155mph, or 6500rpms in 5th gear (it shows the dash)

#8 ·
Re: Every let someone test drive your Passat......... and they redline it? (matt007)

quote:[HR][/HR]
I have a picture of a man in a labcoat (who? I dunno) driving a Passat at 155mph, or 6500rpms in 5th gear (it shows the dash)[HR][/HR]​
Ooh ooh. Post that pic! I gotta have that in the collection! http://****************.com/smile/emthup.gif

#10 ·
Re: Every let someone test drive your Passat......... and they redline it? (matt007)

quote:[HR][/HR]I redline it often
Do you realize how conservative 6500rpm is?
I've driven a 1.8T at 7400 constant rpms with no complaints, 6500rpm is cake
I assume they keep the rev limiter low because its power isn't up high, not because it would hurt the engine
VW knows what they are doing. If 6500rpms hurt the 1.8T, they would set the redline lower.
Here's another example: When you activate the kickdown switch in the Tiptronic, the engine FORCES you to redline. So obviously, its not a problem!
I have a picture of a man in a labcoat (who? I dunno) driving a Passat at 155mph, or 6500rpms in 5th gear (it shows the dash)[HR][/HR]​

I've never seen mine redline with the kickdown switch (but it does get around 5000 RPM)...however, the manual says that the Tiptronic won't let you do anything that would harm the car ("dummy proof") although it lets you approach 6500 with no problems.

#11 ·
Re: Every let someone test drive your Passat......... and they redline it? (pawn707)

I've never seen mine redline with the kickdown switch (but it does get around 5000 RPM)...however, the manual says that the Tiptronic won't let you do anything that would harm the car ("dummy proof") although it lets you approach 6500 with no problems. [/QUOTE]
Yeah tiptronic will shift automatically for you at redline if you forget to shift. I learned this on my mom's A4 a few years back. Works the same with the tiptronic in the passat.

#12 ·
Re: Every let someone test drive your Passat......... and they redline it? (Auditor)

Ohh Redline....been there to many times....

#13 ·
Re: Every let someone test drive your Passat......... and they redline it? (quailallstar)

I agree that it is insensitive for others to drive your car harder than you do (maybe they are trying to tell you something), but redline is MUCH less harmful to an engine than lugging it. Don't get me started...

#14 ·
Re: Every let someone test drive your Passat......... and they redline it? (No overlap)

quote:[HR][/HR]I agree that it is insensitive for others to drive your car harder than you do (maybe they are trying to tell you something), but redline is MUCH less harmful to an engine than lugging it. Don't get me started...[HR][/HR]​
Fully agree, lugging is much worse than redlining.

#16 ·
Re: Every let someone test drive your Passat......... and they redline it? (mark_j)

"Lugging" is when you have the car in too high a gear for the road speed (i.e. 5th gear at ~25mph). Bad for the rods & bearings.
edit: EMCS from APR ( http://www.goapr.com ) has a valet mode which limits max. engine speed to ~4K rpm. Look into it if you haven't chipped your 1.8T.

[Modified by Electron Man, 2:55 PM 8-7-2002]

#17 ·

Reasons we bought a b5.5 / 1.8T / Tip:
1 - I'm 6'-4" and love the seats - most other cars kill my back
2 - I love the way that little motor sounds as it spins through second gear. I don't send her to the red line every time, but hiway on ramps and passing on a rural two lane black top are a lot of fun...... damn stuck at work
I want to go play..

[Modified by goBoating, 9:06 PM 8-7-2002]

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.