VW Vortex - Volkswagen Forum banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
18,078 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
i was thinking this over and my bro told me that with "cold air intakes" like the evo one when u start it in the winter when its been sitting for a while to much cold air is bad for the engine. well then i was thinking when it car is off the stock air housing is reciving cold air 2 because the car hasnt been running. is this tru where 2 much cold air is bad for startups in the cold weather? cuz it gets ass cold up here in michigan and i just want to know if i sould wait till spring to get this intake. also is the bypass valve realy nessasary?

·
Registered
432 Posts
Re: EVO air intake in the winter (LO-vw)

Quite the contrary. Cold air aids combustion because it contains more O2 and burns better. The only thing bad about cold starts is all the oil is sitting down in the oilpan so when you start - if the car has been sitting a few days - the pistions don't have much lubrication and will scrape the walls of the cylinders....causing wear. But you would have to do this many many times before it wore to the point of causing seals to go bad and begin burning oil in the combustion chamber (blow by). This is why it is a good idea to use a thinner oil in the winter and use synthetic. The oil will get to the cylinders faster. Also, the more often your engine is running in the winter....the better. Keep it lubricated.

[Modified by QkShift, 12:57 PM 11-26-2001]

·
Registered
31,002 Posts

What he may have "heard" as bad may be something related to emissions.
One way LEV and ULEV status is attained is by getting that cat heated up asap.
Drawing cold outside air will only make things a little slower.
But performance wise...it's only a good thing.

·
Registered
3,040 Posts
Re: EVO air intake in the winter (Jman5000)

I don't have the evo intake but i have 3inch tubing to stock airbox with a k&n...In cold weather (i would say 45degrees and colder) my car runs like $hit.....Since i have disconnected the tubing and the car runs much better.........I think too much cold air is a no-no......That is my opinion..

·
Registered
4,083 Posts
Re: EVO air intake in the winter (QkShift)

quote:[HR][/HR]Quite the contrary. Cold air aids combustion because it contains more O2 and burns better. The only thing bad about cold starts is all the oil is sitting down in the oilpan so when you start - if the car has been sitting a few days - the pistions don't have much lubrication and will scrape the walls of the cylinders....causing wear. But you would have to do this many many times before it wore to the point of causing seals to go bad and begin burning oil in the combustion chamber (blow by). This is why it is a good idea to use a thinner oil in the winter and use synthetic. The oil will get to the cylinders faster. Also, the more often your engine is running in the winter....the better. Keep it lubricated.
[HR][/HR]​
I agree. Two very big factors in keeping your 1.8T happy:
1) Use an OEM filter. These filters have an anti drainback valve that keeps oil in the system so it DOESN'T drain back into the sump. This gets oil to the head and the pistons a lot faster at startup. Many other filters have this too, but what most don't have is a bypass valve that allows unfiltered oil to flow if pressure is too high at a very cold startup. Dirty oil is better than no oil. OEM has this.
Let you oil pressurize for a few seconds when you start up before you start going, but don't let your car sit there for minutes warming up.
2)If you live in a cold climate, you should use synthetic oil (first and foremost....it flows better regardless of its viscosity) and preferably 0W-30 or 0W-40, if not then 5W-30 or 5W-40. People say "5W-30 or 5W-40 is in the manual", well I say "that depends which manual you read." Audi now specs 0W-30 for the S4 (same turbos, same valvetrain design as the 1.8T) and the new VWs (according to some reports) now ship with 0W-30 synthetic and spec this weight. I say 0W flows better at startup and I get the same high temp protection anyway.

·
Registered
18,078 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Re: EVO air intake in the winter (dbrowne1)

when u say filter u mean oil filter or air (im guessign oil)

·
Registered
4,083 Posts

quote:[HR][/HR]when u say filter u mean oil filter or air (im guessign oil)[HR][/HR]​
OEM oil filter, yes. OEM air filter is fine too...you won't see any gains from an aftermarket panel. The only intakes that I've seen that make serious gains are the ones we're talking about here, the CAI type ones.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts