VW Vortex - Volkswagen Forum banner
1 - 20 of 81 Posts

·
Registered
180 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
THE GOAL: Determine how much HP and TQ EVO's FMIC makes over the stock side mount IC.
THE CAR: EVO 2.5" Exhaust, EVO CAI, EVO DV, GIAC X-CHIP (91 octane), and EVO Front Mount Intercooler.
THE TEST: Each IC will make 3 runs back to back with 2 minute cool down intervals inbetween each run to simulate somewhat life like driving conditions. These numbers are on a stationary dyno in phoenix at 110 degrees.
THE RESULTS:
THE FIRST RUN - EVO FMIC made 8 HP and 17 ft/lbs over stock
THE SECOND RUN - EVO FMIC made 17 HP and 21 ft/lbs over stock
THE THIRD RUN (pictured below) - EVO FMIC made 33 HP and 33 ft/bls over stock

The stock intercooler started to heatsoak in the middle of the first run, by the second (after a cooldown) it still had devistating losses, and you can see the difference between the two below in the third run. EVO's FMIC consistently keeps intake temps down and virtually doesn't heatsoak, as it made only 1 HP less on the third run as it did on the first, where the stock IC lost over 30 HP after seeing boost for short amounts of time. I imagine with a stock intercooler you are seeing losses in power similar-worse as you see in the third run by the time you hit third gear, as you are not giving any time to cool down between shifts. The EVO FMIC keeps the power up throughout all the gears. After adding the FMIC I ran a 14.67 in the 1/4 which isn't great beacause I am a horrible driver (I was stoked anyways), but it is better than my 15.3 I ran before I had it.

Modified by 20vrooom at 2:12 AM 7-2-2003

·
Registered
180 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Re: EVO FMIC vs. STOCK IC DYNO DAY (chris86vw)

There were two standard patton floor fans, one on the Intake, and one on the IC

·
Banned
666 Posts
Re: EVO FMIC vs. STOCK IC DYNO DAY (20vrooom)

Wow someone actually did it! Good job, I always thought my 105 degree temp was robbing me of 25hp or more. But fellow vortex'ers seem to think the stock IC is good enough for the stock turbo, go figure

·
Registered
8,323 Posts
Re: EVO FMIC vs. STOCK IC DYNO DAY (9VW23yrs)

how's the fitment of the EVO FMIC? how did it fit under your front bumper? any modifications made to make it fit?

·
Registered
24,078 Posts
Re: EVO FMIC vs. STOCK IC DYNO DAY (20vrooom)

Quote, originally posted by 20vrooom »
There were two standard patton floor fans, one on the Intake, and one on the IC

Ok, this is noting against you or your tests, just stating some stuff.
My guess is thsoe fans are good for about the airflow of 50mph at most. Which would mean that when the car is screaming at 6K in 4th gear and would normally be doing 115mph it is not seeing the same airflow on the dyno. I believe the IC will give gains, and you can see the obvious advantages it has over heat soak, since those are similar tests done. However on the street I would not say it is worth a full 25hp becuase the airflow would be much greater then the airflow available at most dyno facilities with the fans used.
Again just pointing this out, The test still do show how a stock IC would heatsoak where under the same condistions, same being key, that the EVO does not, or does not so as easily.

·
Registered
2,141 Posts

Wow, those are some big mid-range gains. Any other variables missing? Amazing...I have the Dual ESpec ICs and I love them but the fitment is less than perfect. This looks like a great alternative.

·
Registered
422 Posts

Point understood, however the fans were not adequate for both tests--meaning that like for like both intercoolers were at the same disadvantage. I have tested the intake temps on my own car with the vag and saw IC temps @ 200+ degrees with the stock intercooler on the dyno and saw maximum of 145 with the same EVO front mount.
It would be nice to be able to replicate 100 mph on the dyno though to see what the results would be

Modified by SniperDub at 3:45 AM 7-2-2003

·
Registered
422 Posts

Quote, originally posted by 9VW23yrs »
What is the size of this front mount?

My EVO FMIC is about 9" tall 2" thick and about 24" long

·
Registered
180 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·

I believe the size of the core is 24 inches long, by 7 inches high, by 2 inches thick.
I forgot to add these runs were made in 3rd gear.
The fitment is good, on the install I only had to do some minor triming of the lower valance, but it is not hitting anything or affecting the appearence of the car at all, other than looking aggressive with that big shinny thing in my front bumper.

Modified by 20vrooom at 3:43 AM 7-2-2003

·
Banned
3,237 Posts
Re: EVO FMIC vs. STOCK IC DYNO DAY (roly)

cant wait ti drive my car, just put on my 20VT FMIC, 28 inches long, by 7 inches high, by 2.5 inches thick

·
Registered
24,078 Posts
Re: EVO FMIC vs. STOCK IC DYNO DAY (SniperDub)

Quote, originally posted by SniperDub »
It would be nice to be able to replicate 100 mph on the dyno though to see what the results would be

I think its 60K CFM ( Ithink, that or 40K CFM) is about the airflow the average car sees across its nose doing 120mph. I happen to know of one shop that has that capabilitiy

In all fairness yes the same fans were used so that is at least equal, however if you are testing heatsoak then it must be realistic based on what it would see on the road, or you might as well not use any fan.

·
Banned
2,161 Posts

I would imagine that the new Evolution Motorsports FMIC would make an incredible difference in 110 degree weather but...
How would it compare to the stock in cooler weather such as 50-60 degrees? Even in cold weather, would the EVOM FMIC cool the air exiting the turbo even more than the stock unit? My car performs twice as good in cold weather and if the FMIC has better cooling characteristics than the stock unit, does that mean that the EVOM unit would make my car perform even better than it normally does in cold weather?
Heatsoak is one thing but I'm starting to think that the stock intercooler does a poor job at ALL temperatures.

Modified by mancuso at 3:25 AM 7-2-2003

·
Registered
2,992 Posts
Re: EVO FMIC vs. STOCK IC DYNO DAY (mancuso)

Hmm, APR thinks that our stock intercooler are good enough for a ST3
LOL, he, he. Nice job, very interesting test. Later

Modified by milo at 6:33 AM 7-2-2003

·
Registered
3,369 Posts
Re: EVO FMIC vs. STOCK IC DYNO DAY (milo)

Any pics of your setup. Awesome dyno. I know what i'll be looking at next.

·
Registered
2,915 Posts
Re: EVO FMIC vs. STOCK IC DYNO DAY (Corrado2Passat)

Quote, originally posted by Corrado2Passat »
getting 33 hp from an FMIC alone hiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiighly unlikely.

not really. you get power from the actual change in the FMIC, but you can also run more timing and more boost.

1 - 20 of 81 Posts