VW Vortex - Volkswagen Forum banner
1 - 20 of 59 Posts

·
Registered
1,115 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I want to clamp the vaccum hose that goes to the exhaust so that i don't hear that hissing sound until the exhaust opens up... is there anyone out there that has done it yet? and if so ... how did you do it?

·
Registered
18,556 Posts
Re: Exhaust fix - how did you clamp the vaccum hose? (BlueNJ.:R32)

This is what I intend to use

Not sure where exactly where you'd pick one up but I'd guess some place
that sells chemistry/medical lab supplies will have this or various other types of
pinch clamps for rubber hoses.
I'll just clamp the hose without taking it off, or cutting it at all.
In the long run, I might pull the hose, off and thread an oversized bolt into
the end to seal it up.
ian

Modified by Daemon42 at 9:40 PM 2-9-2004

·
Registered
1,900 Posts

If was to do this I would not do anything permanent (aka, Cut the hose). Digging around various hardware shops, you could probably find something like the clamp above.
Will clamping the line actually stop the semi-whacky hissing the precedes the valve actuating? The mod may be worthwhile for that purpose in and of itself.

·
Registered
866 Posts

Aren't you guys concerned that clamping that hose may affect the low-end power? I'm pretty sure that the valve helps to maintain backpressure which affects the power that the car will make off the line in lower RPM situations.
I could be wrong, but I'm not so sure I want to sacrifice usable power just for a cooler sound. http://****************.com/smile/emthup.gif

·
Registered
1,115 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Re: Exhaust fix - how did you clamp the vaccum hose? (gtiness)

that's what i am hoping... it's not so much that the car is too quiet .. because it's not.. it's just the hissing sound that annoys me... i will go ahead and get some sort of clamp on there and see how it sounds...

·
Registered
1,900 Posts
Re: Exhaust fix - how did you clamp the vaccum hose? (Justin @ 3 Rivers VW)

Quote, originally posted by Justin @ 3 Rivers VW »
Aren't you guys concerned that clamping that hose may affect the low-end power? I'm pretty sure that the valve helps to maintain backpressure which affects the power that the car will make off the line in lower RPM situations.
I could be wrong, but I'm not so sure I want to sacrifice usable power just for a cooler sound. http://****************.com/smile/emthup.gif

Yup. I'm concerned about affecting engine performance (fuel mileage included). I don't really plan to do this (or anything) to mine for sometime.

·
Registered
1,115 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Re: Exhaust fix - how did you clamp the vaccum hose? (Justin @ 3 Rivers VW)

hadn't thought of that... i guess i will find out... i had heard the reason for this was because in europe they are concerned with the noise levels in a lot of places and VW put this on to keep the car quiet during normal driving... i could be wrong though...

·
Registered
5,408 Posts
I just pulled my hose off, the one time use clamp wasn't very tight so I didn't even have to break it off. I took a inch long black screw and screwed it into the hose. And even though that was tight enough I also took a regular 1/4 inch hose clamp and clamped down on the hose over the screw. Using a zip tie I secured the plugged hose to the car. No loss of low-end has been felt. Car sounds sexy 100% of the time. Some food for thought...if the bypass was for creating back pressure at low RPM it would have been farther up the exhaust system instead of off only one runner of the muffler.

·
Registered
187 Posts
Re: Exhaust fix - how did you clamp the vaccum hose? (Perfekt)

that's the same technique I used, a small bolt then zip tied it. I then drilled a small hole behind the wheel wheel and secured it with a nother zip tie, sounds great power seems the same.

·
Registered
2,676 Posts
Re: Exhaust fix - how did you clamp the vaccum hose? (dieseldl)

I thought I read that this mod produced no gains, but also no loss in HP but an increased smile on the driver when driving

·
Registered
18,556 Posts
Re: Exhaust fix - how did you clamp the vaccum hose? (GTI4ME)

Quote, originally posted by GTI4ME »
I thought I read that this mod produced no gains, but also no loss in HP but an increased smile on the driver when driving

Exactly.
ian

·
Registered
39 Posts
Hi Guys. I bought a new R32 here in the UK on 30 Jan. I heard about this vacuum pipe mod to improve the "woofly" exhaust note, however I have not got a clue as to where the vacuum pipe is! Any help or pictures would be appreciated greatly.
Mike

·
Registered
2,000 Posts

well... i used a very small "C" clamp to clamp the vaccum hose and a zip tie attached to the exhaust hanger to keep it from flopping around....
now that unbelievable sound you just used to hear when on the throttle in the upper gears is now hear all the time... i can't believe how much BETTER the car sounds with this done.... http://****************.com/smile/emthup.gif http://****************.com/smile/emthup.gif

oh and since it was asked but not mentioned in this post yet... the vaccum hose is on the driver's side of the muffler.. it's black rubber and 1/4" in dia. you can't miss it...

·
Registered
699 Posts
Re: Exhaust fix - how did you clamp the vaccum hose? (Daemon42)

These clamps have many uses. Some pet shops that carry aquarium supplies also stock such clamps.

·
Registered
998 Posts
Re: Exhaust fix - how did you clamp the vaccum hose? (NJWolf18T)

The general conscensus seems to disconnect the hose rather than pinching it closed. What are all you guys doing on the Vacuum module end where the hose was once attached? There must be a nasty exhaust leak if the valve stays open all the time. Just curious I plan to do this also but haven't heard anything about the module side. Thanks.

Modified by tdvw96 at 6:32 AM 2-10-2004

·
Registered
1,115 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
Re: Exhaust fix - how did you clamp the vaccum hose? (tdvw96)

no need to remove the hose as far as i know.. and like i said a ziptie can hold the clamp from going anywhere..

·
Registered
380 Posts
Re: (MikeyPikey)

Quote, originally posted by "MikeyPikey" »
Hi Guys. I bought a new R32 here in the UK on 30 Jan. I heard about this vacuum pipe mod to improve the "woofly" exhaust note, however I have not got a clue as to where the vacuum pipe is! Any help or pictures would be appreciated greatly.

I'm pretty sure it's a small black hose coming from the left side of the muffler. Someone had some pics posted a few months back.

·
Registered
18,556 Posts
Re: Exhaust fix - how did you clamp the vaccum hose? (tdvw96)

Quote, originally posted by tdvw96 »
The general conscensus seems to disconnect the hose rather than pinching it closed.

I wouldn't say there is a real consensus yet. Some people are pinching it, some disconnecting it.
Quote »

What are all you guys doing on the Vacuum module end where the hose was once attached? There must be a nasty exhaust leak if the valve stays open all the time. Just curious I plan to do this also but haven't heard anything about the module side. Thanks.

If I were to disconnected it, I'd just put a piece of tape over the vacuum actuator connector to keep dust out it.
It's not a vacuum leak, because the vacuum is generated at the other end of the hose, not at the
slave actuator.
ian

·
Registered
794 Posts
Re: Exhaust fix - how did you clamp the vaccum hose? (Daemon42)

Just to add a little more to what ian said, this "valve" is in reality a vacuum operated actuator. There are no exhaust gases associated in or around it. All it does is move a small flap to change the routing of the exhaust flow. One end of the actuator attaches to a vacuum hose and the other end has a lever attached to the flap.
rick

1 - 20 of 59 Posts