VW Vortex - Volkswagen Forum banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
3,687 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Looking to buy a cheap header to get me through winter before I install a TT system over summer, why is it every header I seem to find says for 1.6L and 1.8L but not 1.7L? Am I missing something obvious because they appear to be identical on the backside of the block?

Needing a header by Saturday so the quicker the advice the better guys/gals!

Looking at Pacesetter, OBX or Raceland for the time being.

·
Registered
435 Posts
In for info also. Every time I look for parts I can only find 1.6 or 1.8 parts. Almost zero 1.7 specified parts, unless they are the same as the 1.8

·
Registered
1,412 Posts
I'm pretty sure its all the same. The blocks are all the same minus the bore of the cylinder and the heads are all the same minus a few features here and there, so it should fit..

Unless I missed something too haha

·
Registered
2,927 Posts
Just some more info to maybe help explain. 1.7s were 4-2-1 stock while 1.6s and 1.8s were 4-1. The gasket are the same. I wonder if their only reasoning is this.

correct me if I'm wrong but almost all 1.7s had cats while 1.6s and 1.8s did not so theoretically a 4-1 header wouldn't flow as well.
Well, my 1.7 had the 4-1 'toilet bowl' exhaust manifold, as did any other 1.7 I've seen. Every 1.8 I know of had a catalytic converter as well. It could simply be that the 1.6 and 1.8 liter engines had interest in the aftermarket performance world, while the 1.7 did not.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.