VW Vortex - Volkswagen Forum banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
1,156 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Alright I am thinking of putting an exhaust on my 2001 GTI 1.8t. Which ones have good sound and performance. I have already checked out the sites with the sounds, but they all sound the same to me, tone deaf, I have no idea. But I would like to hear about personal experiences. Also if anyone has run in trouble with certain exhausts? Thanks people!

·
Registered
923 Posts
Re: Exhaust............I know it probably has been asked (mahoodlum)

I have the TT 2.5 with the exposed tip and I love it. I had the hidden tip for a while but the sound inside the car was anoying. The one setback was that it was very hard to get the exhaust aligned right. Took several attempts to adjust where it didn't hit anything. If I had the money I would get the FM 3" turbo back. I hear the gains are well worth it.

·
Registered
4,083 Posts
Re: Exhaust............I know it probably has been asked (hood)

quote:[HR][/HR]I have the TT 2.5 with the exposed tip and I love it. I had the hidden tip for a while but the sound inside the car was anoying. The one setback was that it was very hard to get the exhaust aligned right. Took several attempts to adjust where it didn't hit anything. If I had the money I would get the FM 3" turbo back. I hear the gains are well worth it.[HR][/HR]​
I have the Forced Motion 3" turboback, and it definitely produces significant gains. I would recommend the dual 2.5" tips (not the 3" hidden tip) due to the problem described above...my 3" hidden tip makes it loud inside.

·
Registered
1,156 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Re: Exhaust............I know it probably has been asked (dbrowne1)

loud inside eh? Thats good to know, so I guess it is definately worth having the exhaust exposed outside. Now is the exhaust a nice humming sound or abnoxiously loud?

·
Registered
15 Posts

I have a Borla system on three of my vehicles. My wife's 2000NB 1.8TGLX and my 2001NB 1.8T Sport. Both have the Borla cat back system installed on them. Both NB's are every day drivers and we live in northern Michigan, with lots of snow and road salt in winter. After reading many posts, for what ever reason, the Borla system doesn't appear to have a large following. My experience with the system and products produced by Borla has been excellent. The systems are near perfect as far as build quality goes. Welds are very smooth, and the bends and fit are excellent. I did the install on both systems myself and it was very easy to do. No problems at all. One caution, since I am a fanatic about my vehicles like most who post here, I had to take a deep breath while I was cutting off the old system behind the cat. It only hurt a little. The T-304 stainless steel holds up very well in northern Michigan conditions. Our 2000NB has had the Borla system on it since mile 233. It now had 38,500 miles and the system looks like new.
Sound quality is excellent, at idle it has a very nice low growl, and at normal operating speed the tone suits out tastes well and does not sound like a rice burner (not that there is anything wrong with the tone of my rice burner friends). A nice increase in performance can be felt from the driver's seat even though the system is a 2.25" . AWE Tunning has a fair price on these systems. I have been very happy with their service. Just my .02 worth, but I feel the Borla system is well worth consideration.

·
Registered
547 Posts

i have the autotech 2.5" SS cat back. I am very pleased with it. The sound is great--nice growl at idle, but still quiet enough that you have to be pretty close to the car even to hear it. On the highway, not much louder than stock at most speeds (except at 85+)--nice for long trips. At WOT, an awesome sound...and of course, nice subdued growls on overrun and between shifts. Power gains are good, about 10-12 hp I'd guess. Quality of the construction is outstanding, and I like the hidden / semi-hidden tip. Installation was quick and painless.
hth, matt

·
Registered
1,707 Posts

I have a Milltek cat-back. It's 2.5 in (not 2.75 like they originally claimed!!!) and it is similar in sound to the autotech, quiet but there when you need it. It has great build quality and fit, but the autotech is ligther... I would recommend both. The eurosport is a good bang for the buck, but looks like crap hanging under the valance...4-motion valance is the way to go

1 - 12 of 12 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.