VW Vortex - Volkswagen Forum banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
398 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
i want to know what other high flow exhaust manifold that already exisits on a VW will mount up to my A3? i heard the fox will but what year fox? is it true? you know the reutine. thanks.

·
Registered
17,693 Posts
Re: exhaust manifold options (wickedgift)

Here is an interesting little bit of info I received in an email from Damian at TM Tuning:
"The Exhaust manifolds dont normally need any work at all other then just possibly cleaned, sand blasted. If you can find a local machine shop they can blast it for you for around $20 and it will come out like new. There is no real significant exhaust flow problems on Volkswagens because the engine designers made all of the exhaust able to flow up to 2 times the maximum amount of exhaust flow that the displacement of the engine can produce. A 1.8L engine can only produce 1.8L of exhaust at peak, no matter if it is 100Hp or 1000Hp. So you will not need to do really anything with the exhaust at all."
Interesting stuff....

·
Registered
9,114 Posts
Re: exhaust manifold options (VW97Jetta)

Quote, originally posted by VW97Jetta »
Here is an interesting little bit of info I received in an email from Damian at TM Tuning:
"The Exhaust manifolds dont normally need any work at all other then just possibly cleaned, sand blasted. If you can find a local machine shop they can blast it for you for around $20 and it will come out like new. There is no real significant exhaust flow problems on Volkswagens because the engine designers made all of the exhaust able to flow up to 2 times the maximum amount of exhaust flow that the displacement of the engine can produce. A 1.8L engine can only produce 1.8L of exhaust at peak, no matter if it is 100Hp or 1000Hp. So you will not need to do really anything with the exhaust at all."
Interesting stuff....

Man.. it's got to be the day. Can't think straight..
But, that being said, then port matching your exhaust manifold to a P&P'd head will only match the exhaust flow, not necessarily improve it. Right? And, then what's the gain of a header? I've always known that the VW units were very solid, both in construction and performance.. just, where can/will the gains be had?
Yep.. I'm losing it.

·
Registered
6,303 Posts
Re: exhaust manifold options (ramylson)

Quote, originally posted by ramylson »

But, that being said, then port matching your exhaust manifold to a P&P'd head will only match the exhaust flow, not necessarily improve it. Right? And, then what's the gain of a header? I've always known that the VW units were very solid, both in construction and performance.. just, where can/will the gains be had?
Yep.. I'm losing it.

Has anyone ever produced a dyno of a header showing gains? I've read of alot of butt dynos but nothing on paper.
As far as port matching to the exhaust manifold you don't really want to do that. On our heads there is a slight bit of overhang from the exhaust port to the manifold. Meaning the p[ort is a bit smaller then the manifold opening, which is what you want. That little "lip" helps prevents reversion of the exhaust pulses.
For what it's worth the fastest all motor VR guys all had slower ET's running headers as opposed to the stock manifold/downpipe set-up.

·
Registered
3,897 Posts
Re: exhaust manifold options (MikeBlaze)

Quote, originally posted by MikeBlaze »
As far as port matching to the exhaust manifold you don't really want to do that. On our heads there is a slight bit of overhang from the exhaust port to the manifold. Meaning the port is a bit smaller then the manifold opening, which is what you want. That little "lip" helps prevents reversion of the exhaust pulses.

That's all well and good on a stock head but some of us have exhuast ports that are no longer smaller than the exhaust manifold ports

·
Registered
6,303 Posts
Re: exhaust manifold options (bajan01)

Quote, originally posted by bajan01 »

That's all well and good on a stock head but some of us have exhuast ports that are no longer smaller than the exhaust manifold ports

Ask Jose what he thinks about it. I'd be interested to see what he has to say.
Though I would hink the same theory should apply, no matter the port size.

·
Registered
3,897 Posts
Re: exhaust manifold options (MikeBlaze)

Quote, originally posted by MikeBlaze »
Ask Jose what he thinks about it. I'd be interested to see what he has to say.
Though I would hink the same theory should apply, no matter the port size.

His response to me asking him about porting my exhaust manifold was "You'll definitely have to port it now".
I agree 100% that if the port on the exhaust manifold side is larger than the exhaust port on the head that's ok. However once you port the head (as in the pic above) you'll have to make the exhaust manifold ports larger to at least match the head if not larger yet (so yes your theory applies no matter what the size of the head port

·
Registered
3,897 Posts
Re: exhaust manifold options (VW97Jetta)

Matching them up tomorrow. I have the intake manifold scored and ready for porting

·
Banned
453 Posts
Re: exhaust manifold options (bajan01)

Yes, I'd like to know the verdict also because I Just got a stage 3 P&P but have not put the new head on yet. I was deciding whether to buy a header and drop the whole head w/header and lower intake in as one piece or keep the stock exhaust manifold for now.

·
Registered
1,093 Posts
Re: exhaust manifold options (My2.0LKrautrocket)

If it helps i like to think of things in extremes in order to put perspective on something. Is it true that a 1.8 liter motor will only put out 1.8 liters? Yeah probably but how quickly i think might be the point. Its common knowledge that the dual downpipe of the early A1 cars is beneficial to performance over the doughnut style. If thats the case then a manifold that flows better than the dual downpipe version must be beneficial, the snag is how measurable the difference is and if its cost effective. Just my input. B

1 - 13 of 13 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.