VW Vortex - Volkswagen Forum banner
1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
369 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
My exhaust manifold is cracked, i'm trying to decide; replace w/ stock manifold, or go with a header? I did several searches, came up w/ supersprint. My engine is stock, any experience w/ supersprint header? How much difference in hp? Where can you even buy supersprint in the US? How much $$? Any help is appreciated, Thanks.

·
Registered
5,035 Posts
Re: Exhaust Manifold; Replace w/ Stock or Header? Supersprint? (aktionman)

If you haven't done the mods to require it, I wouldn't waste money on a header. My choice would be a dual-outlet manifold and matching downpipe. http://****************.com/smile/emthup.gif

·
Registered
369 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Re: Exhaust Manifold; Replace w/ Stock or Header? Supersprint? (vwgti1986)

My manifold is dual outlet stock, and my downpipe is TT about 2 years old. Just thinking about upgrading since i have to replace it anyhow. Thanks

·
Registered
820 Posts
Re: Exhaust Manifold; Replace w/ Stock or Header? Supersprint? (vwgti1986)

I found a SuperSpring header used and i love it, but new they are completely insane, something like $800 or something. Techtonics tuning has a 16v full race header. go to there web site and search '16v'. I haven't experienced any other headers, so it's hard for me to compare.
I'd say stick with stock.
Good luck,
Mike

·
Registered
369 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Re: Exhaust Manifold; Replace w/ Stock or Header? Supersprint? (Mikef5000)

Thanks for the info. Anyone have experience with the Techtonics header?

·
Registered
9,830 Posts
Re: Exhaust Manifold; Replace w/ Stock or Header? Supersprint? (Gazornan)

i own the same eurosport header. havent installed it yet but when i do, ill have changed to motormounts & use a flex joint @ the end of the pipe to avoid cracking it. ive heard nothing but good things about this header http://****************.com/smile/emthup.gif

·
Registered
1,074 Posts
Re: Exhaust Manifold; Replace w/ Stock or Header? Supersprint? (1 dub)

Quote, originally posted by 1 dub »

i own the same eurosport header. havent installed it yet but when i do, ill have changed to motormounts & use a flex joint @ the end of the pipe to avoid cracking it. ive heard nothing but good things about this header http://****************.com/smile/emthup.gif

That's what I did. Eurosport actually put the first 12" flex pipe on it, and I replaced it about 4 years later. Never a problem with the header in 30k street miles, 50+ autocrosses, and a dozen roadraces and hillclimbs. had to have the rest of the system rehung four timesghfrom high heat and rough tracks surfaces. I didn't run a cat, though.
Brad

·
Registered
6,997 Posts

Quote, originally posted by aktionman »
My (cracked) manifold is dual outlet stock, and my downpipe is TT about 2 years old.

Hmmm... you had a dual outlet manifold that cracked? Strange. The singles crack all the time, but I've rarely, if ever heard of a dual cracking. If your TT DP is the "older style" that has that slip fit "quasi flexjoint" that's different from the factory set up, that may have contributed to the cracking.... especially if your mounts aren't in the best shape.
If you go with a header, get one with a well designed flex joint, like the Brospeed. I've heard good things about their street headers.

·
Registered
369 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Re: Exhaust Manifold; Replace w/ Stock or Header? Supersprint? (niels_dale)

203,000 miles may also have something to do with the cracking. The front motor-mount was replaced 30k ago, i have no idea on the others. My TT downpipe is the old style slip-fit quasi-flex. I am going to replace the other mounts when I do the manifold or header. I read that diesel mounts are stiffer? Will they work on a 16V?

·
Registered
1,349 Posts

In my opinion, I would stick with the stock manifold with the TT Downpipe. Headers get pretty loud, but yield a lot of HP. If you don't have the mods to support it (ie: chip, intake, cams, etc), I wouldn't waste the money and time. The stock setup is actually better than you may think. Use that $800 (typical cost of the Supersprint setup) on lightening your flywheel, headwork, and/or suspension.

·
Registered
6,997 Posts

Quote, originally posted by aktionman »
My TT downpipe is the old style slip-fit quasi-flex.

One reason TT dropped that DP design is that had too many complaints about cracking. I don't know if that would happen if the mounts are all in good shape, but as long as things are going to be pulled apart, you may want to consider TT's new SS DP which has the OE style flex joint. It's $225, but still cheaper than a header.. and my understanding is that unless your motor is substantially modded, a header just gives modest increases up at the top end. Otherwise, the dual outlet DP is a good choice. If you are set on a header, I think the ceramic coated Brospeed is about $370.

·
Registered
341 Posts
Re: Exhaust Manifold; Replace w/ Stock or Header? Supersprint? (berilium)

i'm getting a header soon for the same reason.
Craked dual downpipe caused by crapy motor mount
I don't what to choose, My local speed shop told me he could have a new header for 200 CDN$ . I'm sorry he did'nt told me the manufacturer of this header. But if we search harder I think we can find something interesting. I'll try to get informed soon.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts