VW Vortex - Volkswagen Forum banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
85 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Well, I installed a Raintree irrigation valve, very similar to the one in the picture (difference is it has opposed arrows <-----> vs. just one <===. Exhaust sounded great for a minute or two and then quieted down. I checked the valve and it seems to be working (i.e., I can blow through it when open and nothing when it is closed). Any ideas or similar experiences?

·
Registered
18,552 Posts
Re: Exhaust mod problem keeping closed (2manycarzj)

Even a very smallvacuum leak is very very persistent. Sounds like the valve just doesn't
supply a good enough seal.
ian

·
Registered
875 Posts
Re: Exhaust mod problem keeping closed (Daemon42)

Quote, originally posted by Daemon42 »
Even a very smallvacuum leak is very very persistent. Sounds like the valve just doesn't
supply a good enough seal.
ian

true story... my valve was leaking slowly also. I would hear the great sound for about 15 min. then slowly diminishing. Just had to crank down on the valve a little to tighten it all the way and now it holds fine. I have a brass gas valve though, not a h2o valve. I think a gas valve is better b/c the molecules it is designed to hold are smaller than h2o molecules! Also it is rated to 150psi. $3.89 or so, 1/4" compression fittings and a screw in valve. I copied someone on here who posted a pic of the valve... cant remember who!?!
-jfost

1 - 3 of 3 Posts