VW Vortex - Volkswagen Forum banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
1,762 Posts
Re: exhaust question (PlatDub)

If the engine is bone stock, yes. Unless you're running a turbo or other forced induction 2.5" is not required and would most likely hurt performance more than it would help it.

·
Registered
1,762 Posts
Like Moljinar said, 2.25" is usually enough for NA. My own 8V is pretty much pushed to the max as far as NA is concerned (Bore, stroke, port, polish, throttle body, intake, shaved head, big valves, header, 272 schrick cam, you get the picture) and I run a 2.25". It gives me excellent performance and 2.5" would not net me any gains. The only reason I would go 2.5" would be if I turbo'd it.

·
Registered
440 Posts
I have 2.5 on mine
aba/jh with no cat, no muffler, and tt downpipe
Seems to have lots of power-also had 2.5 on an almost completely stock 8v digi (cam and intake) it was always pushed pass the red line constantly - that wasn't a daily driver. We also put 2.5 on a 8v digi golf but it did seem to lose on bottom end. I would say its for you if you want some high end power.

·
Registered
1,762 Posts
Re: (vw_cab)

Quote, originally posted by vw_cab »
I have 2.5 on mine
aba/jh with no cat, no muffler, and tt downpipe
Seems to have lots of power-also had 2.5 on an almost completely stock 8v digi (cam and intake) it was always pushed pass the red line constantly - that wasn't a daily driver. We also put 2.5 on a 8v digi golf but it did seem to lose on bottom end. I would say its for you if you want some high end power.

8V engines do not typically make a lot of power on the "high end", even with all my mods, it's starting to drop off at or near 6K. 8V's are about torque and bottom end, if you want to lose that...by all means slap a 2.5" on it. As molijinar said (key part emphasized)
Quote »
Too big of a pipe leads to torque loss. Too small and you lose hp. 2.25" works good for both!

2.5" is too big for NA 8V, it has to do with gas velocity and scavenging effects. You will sacrafice bottom end power for minimal gains on the top end. If it was 16V I'd say WTH go for it as they perform best on the top end anyways.

·
Registered
440 Posts
Ok thats fine but I am just telling you what I had on mine and some others that we have. I didn't say OMG this was the best thing and do it. I plan on going boosted later anyways so I am glad the exhaust is already done.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.