VW Vortex - Volkswagen Forum banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
74 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Don't roast me too much guys, I've only done a wee bit of searching.

Wondering how crazy honda civic-y loud my '13 2.5L JSW will be if I delete the rear muffler? I can get a local shop to do it for $40.

Anyone have any first hand experience?

·
Registered
2,824 Posts
I just got the tips that jpurre has, looking forward to getting them.

You will get ZERO sound change from straight piping, if the shop can do it for $40 I hope they are giving you some nice exhaust tips for that. I may delete the muffler later on but its all cosmetic and weight savings, no sound increase and no performance increase with that DPF in place.

·
Registered
648 Posts
I just got the tips that jpurre has, looking forward to getting them.

You will get ZERO sound change from straight piping, if the shop can do it for $40 I hope they are giving you some nice exhaust tips for that. I may delete the muffler later on but its all cosmetic and weight savings, no sound increase and no performance increase with that DPF in place.
He actually will have a sound change, as he has the 2.5 gas engine thus no DPF.

·
Registered
2,824 Posts
He actually will have a sound change, as he has the 2.5 gas engine thus no DPF.
Whoops! sorry man I didn't read that. Yes the 2.5L will sound pretty mean and growly, whereas us TDI guys don't get much but aesthetics.

Personally on the 2.5L gasser I would recommend NOT deleting the muffler completely, if anything get a nicer Magnaflow which gives you better sound and tone, and perhaps delete the suitcase mid-muffler (resonator) if you want a bit more volume. IMO

·
Registered
74 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Help me understand everything here, there's 2 mufflers and a resonator? Or 2 mufflers, one being a resonator? Ice read a lot that if you get rid of the resonator you will get a bad freeway drone....thx for the help guys. Vw people are so nice, it seems haha

Sent from my SM-N910T using Tapatalk

·
Registered
2,824 Posts
Help me understand everything here, there's 2 mufflers and a resonator? Or 2 mufflers, one being a resonator? Ice read a lot that if you get rid of the resonator you will get a bad freeway drone....thx for the help guys. Vw people are so nice, it seems haha

In every car I ever modded, there is a middle muffer "resonator" around the middle of the vehicle, for purpose of keeping drone and noise down in the cabin. Then there is a rear muffler. I would get a quality cat back exhaust for your 2.5L in order to minimize drone and keep a desirable sound.

·
Registered
74 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
In every car I ever modded, there is a middle muffer "resonator" around the middle of the vehicle, for purpose of keeping drone and noise down in the cabin. Then there is a rear muffler. I would get a quality cat back exhaust for your 2.5L in order to minimize drone and keep a desirable sound.
I think for substantially cheaper purposes, I'll kill the rear muffler just to see if I even like the loudness. If it's too much, I'll throw a flowmaster on it. Just didn't know if the 2.5 would sound like more of a beast or more of a Honda civic with anything done to the exhaust

·
Registered
648 Posts
The 2.5L inline 5 cylinder will sound very nice with an exhaust! Not ricer, it's refined German engineering at its best. The Audi TTRS has a very similar engine, with an added turbo of course and different head.

Check this link.. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SxSvfIu7Kkk

·
Registered
152 Posts
I was planning on hacking the exhaust on my 2.5 but after hearing the AWE i just couldn't say no. That coupled with a Carbonio intake and it sounds amazing and a bit exotic. I would never think of going with anything else after this.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.