VW Vortex - Volkswagen Forum banner
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

· Registered
10,288 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
When I bought my car used, it came with a Borla inter-cooled cat back already on it. When the car has been running for a while and is going up a hill or in low RMPs the ehaust seems to rattle. I have replaced the mount motors, so it not the engine shifting. Does any know what this is and how to fix it.
Thanks

· Registered
3,731 Posts
Re: Exhaust rattle on GTI III (veedub11)

The problem could be inside the system. My RX-7 convertible rattled until finally it shot a piece of the catalyst out the back. It could be related the expansion or contraction of the metal when cold or hot. If you can find the origin of the rattle you can at least try to deal with it. I don't recall where the heat shields are, if any but that might be a starting point. A muffler shop like CarX will locate it for you if you don't have a hoist or ramps to run it up on.
good luck
steve a
94 GIII GT
86 GII diesel

· Registered
76 Posts
Re: Exhaust rattle on GTI III (veedub11)

My exhaust manifold heat shield started to rattle a while back. It's made of two layers and the inside layer broke. I had it pulled and rewelded, but the best thing would be to buy a new one from the factory ($350) because I am now starting to hear the rattle again. Any trusted shop will tell you. Midas found mine on a routine inspection.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.