VW Vortex - Volkswagen Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
4,010 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
at idle, it seems my exhaust is rattling, I have a techtonics aluminized system and it seems there is a rattle from right under the car to around the front. are there any bolts that typically loosen up? i'd like to know before i wedge myself under there and poke around....

·
Registered
7,181 Posts
Re: exhaust rattle (bpfoley)

check between the cat and the downpipe (meaning the front of the cat) there is is a triangle piece that holds the cat to the downpipe and there should be 3 bolts. one of mine recently rusted through and progressed from a slight rattle at idle to a horrible noise!
hope this helps you out a bit.
chip

·
Registered
4,965 Posts
Re: exhaust rattle (bpfoley)

Two things could be rattling. The heat shield that protects the bottom of the car from the exhaust. There are about 8 bolts holding it in place. Another possibility is the heat shield for the cat.

·
Registered
3,182 Posts
Re: exhaust rattle (GranTouring InjectedVR6)

My big fat turbo muffler rattles against my trailing arm. It annoys the hell outta my father, he won't drive in the car with me cause it sounds so bad (he says).

·
Registered
4,010 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Re: exhaust rattle (Swollen)

hmmm, if it is indeed the heatsheild, is it usually due to the bolts rusting out from high heat, and just get some replacements, I doubt pulling the entire heatshield is wise.

·
Banned
4,337 Posts
Re: exhaust rattle (1992jetta-2)

My most frequent rattle comes from those 3 bolts at the downpipe/cat.
Happened 2 times in my Golf, and those things always rust out...have fun getting 'em off though

·
Registered
15,666 Posts
Re: exhaust rattle (1992jetta-2)

mine rattled for a while at the slip joint after the cat where your system slips on. the clamp had just come loose. got new clamp, used an impact to tighten it down, then put two more nuts on it to lock it there.

·
Registered
15,622 Posts
Re: exhaust rattle (Tornado2dr)

quote:[HR][/HR]i don't reccommend it.. a friend in my area did and he said one warm day he felt the underneath of the car heating up and smelled glu burning in the carpet or something.. so it's not a good ideap[HR][/HR]​
I removed mine(well, it fell off). Shouldn't have anything to do with the actual car, just the stuff underneath since it is not on the upper side of cat but towards the ground.

[Modified by Batan, 10:56 AM 12-6-2001]

·
Registered
7,153 Posts
Re: exhaust rattle (Batan)

It is definitly the cat. My GLI's cat was terrible but when I replaced it with a TT high flo cat (only $140), not only was the rattle gone, but I gained back at least 10 hp...!!!

1 - 10 of 10 Posts